• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Nate be fired?

SalvorMallow

Should Nate be fired?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

If we can Nate, I'd want an assistant from somewhere that has learned from a good coach, like the Celtics got Udoka, or someone with that type of background.  A hungry first-time head coach that has been an assistant for a successful program for a while.

That's the Lloyd Pierce... Woody is no Goody route...

Nawl..

I would rather us get a coach who is an offensive Genius.. that is why D'Antoni and Gentry are at the top of my list. 

I also feel that Mike Brown is very underrated. 

But it feels like Nate is going to be given a reprieve.   Still, I would love for him to bring in Gentry as his top assistant. 

By The Way...

Many of you hate the nepotism of McMillan hiring his son.  Have you actually looked at his son's resume'?  Honestly, the younger McMillan would be the next Udoka based on his resume'. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, terrell said:

He also got swept by Spoelstra while he was HC in Indy..... You would think this series was his first time coaching against him.. smh

Granted that Indy was missing its best player in Sabonis, but you can certainly say that Nate didn't show that he learned any lessons in dealing with Butler or the Heat from that series.  

2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Nate ain't goin' nowhere.  Ya'll gotta get over it.

I would bet on that too.  But this thread is entitled "should" Nate be fired and that is a more interesting topic of discussion.  For me, it is a topic that doesn't have a clear answer because he disappointed me this year in a lot of ways but I also hate churning coaches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Diesel said:

"I like Nate and he's a solid coach but everyone on r/nba clowning us didn't sit through all the first round exits, all the toothless offence, all the timeouts way to late into a run, all the blown leads, head-scratching rotations, awful inbounds plays, no ideas coming off a timeout, etc.

The blue print....we've seen every instance unfold.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Interesting fact, maybe only to meeeeee....

Were the Miami Heat to go on to the NBA Finals, that would mean that in 11 postseasons in which McM was the head coach, whatever team put his out of the playoffs went to the NBA Finals... get this... 7 times. Don't know how that compares to others, but dang that seems like a lot.

• Premium Member
On 5/22/2022 at 12:10 AM, sturt said:

Interesting fact, maybe only to meeeeee....

Were the Miami Heat to go on to the NBA Finals, that would mean that in 11 postseasons in which McM was the head coach, whatever team put his out of the playoffs went to the NBA Finals... get this... 7 times. Don't know how that compares to others, but dang that seems like a lot.

Not sure about anyone else, but since I despise both BOS and MIA, letting this be the determining factor. Go Heat. 🙂

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Remember Bud being celebrated for how often he'd have the perfect play drawn up out of a timeout.

Don't hear that much about McM's play engineering.

But maybe that's neither here nor there (see tweet below).

Remember Magic talking about how none of his wizardry was original with him, but instead borrowing from others and building on theirs (Pistol in particular).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, sturt said:

Remember Bud being celebrated for how often he'd have the perfect play drawn up out of a timeout.

Remember Magic talking about how none of his wizardry was original with him, but instead borrowing from others and building on theirs (Pistol in particular).

Nate has one of the lowest ATO PPP in the league.

• Moderators
17 hours ago, sturt said:

Said for years that it is inexcusable not to be prepared on these plays for precisely this reason:  you don't have to come up with this stuff on your own.  You can rip from thousands of coaches over decades of time.  The only thing that makes OOT plays ineffective is inadequate preparation.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 6/1/2022 at 7:29 AM, AHF said:

Said for years that it is inexcusable not to be prepared on these plays for precisely this reason:  you don't have to come up with this stuff on your own.  You can rip from thousands of coaches over decades of time.  The only thing that makes OOT plays ineffective is inadequate preparation.

We struggled with so many things, the situational play calls were just the tip of the iceberg.

Still coach Nate earned one more season. If we see the same shit this upcoming season though I would get rid of him in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, StonedDogs said:

Watching these Finals, Trae, Nate and the Hawks have a lot of work to do. Nate offense just isn't gonna cut it with ball dominant 5"11 pg who looks for three 1st. 

The pick and roll is deadly but we need to have a plan B, it can't be our only offense.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 6/1/2022 at 8:49 AM, sturt said:

Can't say I've ever seen where that stat was kept. Probably just looked right over top of it.

Don't think it is...

26 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The pick and roll is deadly but we need to have a plan B, it can't be our only offense.

Your offense is built around your personnel.

35 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Don't think it is...

Your offense is built around your personnel.

Ah cmon Diesel, good coaches know how to bring the best out of their players. Draymond Green is a dog who speeds the ball up the court. Al Horford is looking like a rookie fresh off a college championship. Jordan Poole was just in the g league. J Brown is a stud. White is balling. There is a reason Nate was an assistant to an assistant coach. One too many player not happy with their roles and I would bet lot has to do with greenlight logo Trae and Nate lack of creativity. Just too old school, predictable and slow 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Ah cmon Diesel, good coaches know how to bring the best out of their players. Draymond Green is a dog who speeds the ball up the court. Al Horford is looking like a rookie fresh off a college championship. Jordan Poole was just in the g league. J Brown is a stud. White is balling. There is a reason Nate was an assistant to an assistant coach. One too many player not happy with their roles and I would bet lot has to do with greenlight logo Trae and Nate lack of creativity. Just too old school, predictable and slow 

My statement your offensive is built around your personnel was just proven by you....

Draymond Green. 

Leads the warriors in Assist per game.   The offense runs through him.  But he's 6'6" 230 lbs.  He's no PG... He's not even the SG.. he's the PF.   However, he has ball handling and BBIQ.   So Kerr Said... instead of making you play out of position at PF and make you do things that you don't do so well, I'm going to put the offense in your hands because that will improve our offense and play to your strengths.  If they traded Draymond for JC... then the offense would have to change. 

We use the pick and roll.. not because it's Nate's favorite offense and he makes players conform to it.  We play the PNR because it plays to Trae's strengths.  But I still believe that Nate should have a very short leash.   The things that he's doing is the things that he has always done.  Him shortening the rotation from 10 to 8 players is a sign that he wanted to continue to walk it up.  I'm not for the slowness of offense.  If our offensive is predictable and unimaginative and ineffective then we should be letting Nate go by Jan.   However, if the wins are coming and even if we're slow... and the wins are coming, we should keep Nate on through the playoffs.