• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should Nate be fired?

SalvorMallow

Should Nate be fired?  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I say no, and to give him half of next year to see what he can do - like we did with Lloyd.  Either way I don't see him lasting though if we can get a decent replacement - that's the tough part for me.  Even with all his issues there isn't a guarantee we can find someone with the acumen to jump right in and coach this team successfully, though I would think there is a coach out there that would be licking their chops to be able to work with Trae.

This season was hard to watch compared to the year prior, but we also dealt with a lot of issues beyond our control.  He also was at the helm for our most successful postseason the year before and doesn't get enough credit for that IMO.  I feel like that alone should earn him at least the start of next year to see if he has learned any lessons from this season.  I don't think he will though unless we shake up our assistants and he becomes more willing to try some things earlier in the season.

• Like 2

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I would think there is a coach out there that would be licking their chops to be able to work with Trae.

That was probably Nash.   The question is does Nash suck or the Nets just a nightmare?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

That was probably Nash.   The question is does Nash suck or the Nets just a nightmare?

Funny thing is I thought Nash would be like a Kerr. I was afraid of the match with Brooklyn but no longer. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I don't want to call for Nate's head and then end up with Doc Rivers

I can't with this guy lol... throwing his own players under the bus is a way of living for him.  I've never seen a coach so quick to make excuses and rationalizations for themselves.  He cares more about his image than he does winning games.  I'd rather have statue Nate with canned media answers than dumpster fire doc

• Like 2

I think the main point is how bad the defense was all year.  It's not completely Nate's fault but he has to be accountable.  Schlenk needs to have someone in mind and not fire Nate without having a good plan in place.  The other thing that concerns me is if Trae isn't making a play off his dribble(pick and roll, drive) our offense is abysmal.  If it's not Trae driving in the lane; it seems we are launching 3's.

51 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Rookie Jalen Johnson only received 120 minutes this season, as McMillan was adamant about how the Hawks were out of the development stage. Johnson is certainly raw but teams — even good ones — figure out ways to find playing time for rookies.

As one source said after Game 5, “McMillan’s unimaginative, and when things aren’t going to plan, it’s hard to make an adjustment.”

I will say these critiques have followed Nate throughout his long tenured NBA coaching career. Don't expect him to change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After deliberating I’m kinda willing to give him another shot but that article is pretty damning. What makes it worse is that a lot of the things mentioned in the article were obvious to anyone watching us play. I don’t have any coaching experience whatsoever and I could see some of these issues plain as day… how can someone which over two decades of coaching experience not recognize them? 

Lastly some of that stuff about Nate was brought up by Pacers fans on Reddit when we gave El Pee the boot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

It's a hard question to ask after such a disappointing season.   However, look at what Nate's team accomplished:

Best Offense. 

• Most efficient Offense
  • Less turnover prone offense
  • 9th in a strong east
  • Won 2 games to make it into the playoffs. 
  • Won 1 playoff game against the top seed while being terribly undermanned. 

Some of our "Narratives" about Nate are not totally true.  I see that somebody has a crusade about Nate because he didn't play JJ and Coop enough.   As Hawks fans we tend to believe that simply because we draft somebody, that they must be great.   JJ may be very good but JJ and Coop were sick when everybody else was sick.  We had 10 players with the COVID (at the same time) and there are some posters who keep asking the dumb question well why did we play Brown and Stephenson???  And we played them and didn't play JJ and Coop.     And with JJ he had other injuries and on 2 occassions asked to be sent back down to the G-League.   But all of that is Nate not playing young players.   As far Coop, he may not ever play as a Hawk. 

We want to fire Nate because of rotations, challenges, and players playing time.    With the results that we're getting, would any of those things have led to more wins?  Better team play?  At some point, you have to let a coach run his vision and not micromanage them.   So I was originally up for firing him.. but after I've come down from disappointment, I will agree that he has to have a fair chance to run his vision.   The team is still listening. 

If he were fired... there is a short list:

• D'Antoni
  • Mike Brown
  • Alvin Gentry
  • Juwaun Howard
  • Sam Cassell
  • Terry Stotts
  • Fizdale 
  • Phil Handy
  • Steve Clifford
  • Frank Vogel

In that order.. Well, maybe Gentry before Brown.  I have Frank Vogel that low because he has to get over what just happened to him.   It's going to be hard to make Howard leave UM.   

On 4/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, TRW said:

No, Nate shouldn't be fired. This is the first time I've seen him get totally outcoached. It was depressing too watch and I'm glad Miami finished us. We literally had no answers. It felt like we had no will to counter punch. What happened to crisp ball movement and attacking the paint aggressively to draw fouls. JSMH

He also got swept by Spoelstra while he was HC in Indy..... You would think this series was his first time coaching against him.. smh

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, terrell said:

He also got swept by Spoelstra while he was HC in Indy..... You would think this series was his first time coaching against him.. smh

Each series is different. 

He was fired after that series... but check this:

"

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra called McMillan's firing "ridiculous" on Wednesday.

"It seems totally ridiculous. It seems like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Just two weeks ago at the beginning of our series you're giving him an extension, but really it's just a media fake extension to appease whatever they felt like they needed to appease. And then after this series to make that quick of an emotional decision is really disappointing," he said.

Injuries have played a key role in the team's failures. The Pacers played last season without two-time All-Star Victor Oladipo, who suffered a knee injury, and without All-Star forward Domantas Sabonis against the Heat because of a foot injury."

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

If he were fired... there is a short list:

• D'Antoni
  • Mike Brown
  • Alvin Gentry
  • Juwaun Howard
  • Sam Cassell
  • Terry Stotts
  • Fizdale 
  • Phil Handy
  • Steve Clifford
  • Frank Vogel

In that order.. Well, maybe Gentry before Brown.  I have Frank Vogel that low because he has to get over what just happened to him.   It's going to be hard to make Howard leave UM.   

If we can Nate, I'd want an assistant from somewhere that has learned from a good coach, like the Celtics got Udoka, or someone with that type of background.  A hungry first-time head coach that has been an assistant for a successful program for a while.

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

However, look at what Nate's team accomplished:

Best Offense. 

• Most efficient Offense
  • Less turnover prone offense
  • 9th in a strong east
  • Won 2 games to make it into the playoffs. 
  • Won 1 playoff game against the top seed while being terribly undermanned. 

I've accepted we'll likely have to live with Nate another year, but this list of accomplishments is better credited to Trae Young than Nate.  

23 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Each series is different. 

He was fired after that series... but check this:

"

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra called McMillan's firing "ridiculous" on Wednesday.

"It seems totally ridiculous. It seems like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Just two weeks ago at the beginning of our series you're giving him an extension, but really it's just a media fake extension to appease whatever they felt like they needed to appease. And then after this series to make that quick of an emotional decision is really disappointing," he said.

Injuries have played a key role in the team's failures. The Pacers played last season without two-time All-Star Victor Oladipo, who suffered a knee injury, and without All-Star forward Domantas Sabonis against the Heat because of a foot injury."

Popovich thought the LP firing was ridiculous... Coaches always take up for each other..