• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

So why wouldn't the Knicks not just make him the 2nd option? Randle is the type of guy that needs the ball in his hands. Poor shooters with bad efficiency are not good off the ball.

Randle literally had a -9.4 ON/OFF. Knicks were significantly better when he’s on the bench which I’m pretty sure back up the eye test. That’s why Knicks fan want him gone. Randle/Lavine combo to me would be awful. Not interested in surrounding this team with expensive one way players who don’t elevate their team. 

Same with Wiggins and now look at him

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Pretty spot on.  Travis recreated Golden State but with lesser players.  Soo, he has to either get better players to fit the Golden State clone he created or change the team philosophy.  I believe the solution is a combination of Simmons/Levine, Irving  surrounded by Trae and Hunter.  Everybody else is trade bait.  Hunter and Trae are the only Hawks I would keep to make this happen.  Would hate to see OO leave in a trade, but the solution is Simmons and another big time scorer.  I don't know enough about Spyda Mitchell.  It appears me and you are in agreement about everything.

Yeah, I think Schlenk just has a philosophy what makes us look similar to Golden State but he is working around Trae's strengths/weaknesses.  Trae and Steph aren't really that similar to be honest, Trae is more like a Harden/Nash hybrid in my mind.  Trae needs his Draymond pairing badly though as we don't have another high IQ offensive player that can help create.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Same with Wiggins and now look at him

Wiggins is playing with a bunch of HOF’s. And Wiggins is still not some big player either just bc he’s had some good moments in the playoffs.

Edited by GThawks3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I see Sturt has found his 2022 version of this guy in Randle:

mqdefault.jpg

To his credit, @sturt hopped off that bandwagon once it was clear the train was heading toward a cliff.

No worries, stu.  We all have 'em on our resumes.  I once thought Mo Bamba was gonna be a 'thing' in the league.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Yeah, I think Schlenk just has a philosophy what makes us look similar to Golden State but he is working around Trae's strengths/weaknesses.  Trae and Steph aren't really that similar to be honest, Trae is more like a Harden/Nash hybrid in my mind.  Trae needs his Draymond pairing badly though as we don't have another high IQ offensive player that can help create.

You know,  I KNOW that, but i have to tippy toe around Trae Young on the board.  The frustruating thing about this whole thing is Trae COULD BE THE BEST POINT GUARD IN THE NBA if he wanted to.  Trae has the offensive intellect you speak of, he just can't let go of the Harden/Westbrook hero ball complex.  Nobody outside of maybe Sharif Cooper ( who like Jalen, became wasted on the Hawks bench), is a better passer in the NBA than Trae Young, WHEN HE WANTS TO BE.   No, he will never be the shooter that Curry is, but Trae can make up for it as being a better passer.  Me and you might not agree there but thats how I look at it.

Bringing in Simmons would help with working around Trae's lack of defense.  Tell me, how would you look at this lineup?  Levine is unrestricted, so they could acquire him by going into the luxury tax and not giving up anybody in trade.  Irving is unrestricted also if he doesn't take the player option.   OO or Hunter would have to be given up to get Simmons from the Nets.

pg Young

sg Levine/Irving

sf Simmons

pf Hunter

c  Capela or OO

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You know,  I KNOW that, but i have to tippy toe around Trae Young on the board.  The frustruating thing about this whole thing is Trae COULD BE THE BEST POINT GUARD IN THE NBA if he wanted to.  Trae has the offensive intellect you speak of, he just can't let go of the Harden/Westbrook hero ball complex.  Nobody outside of maybe Sharif Cooper ( who like Jalen, became wasted on the Hawks bench), is a better passer in the NBA than Trae Young, WHEN HE WANTS TO BE.   No, he will never be the shooter that Curry is, but Trae can make up for it as being a better passer.  Me and you might not agree there but thats how I look at it.

Bringing in Simmons would help with working around Trae's lack of defense.  Tell me, how would you look at this lineup?  Levine is unrestricted, so they could acquire him by going into the luxury tax and not giving up anybody in trade.  Irving is unrestricted also if he doesn't take the player option.   OO or Hunter would have to be given up to get Simmons from the Nets.

pg Young

sg Levine/Irving

sf Simmons

pf Hunter

c  Capela or OO

Simmons just can’t play with Capela. Two non shooters won’t work in this era and I don’t know how you play a guy who doesn’t score outside of the paint at SF. 

Simmons imo works best at PF and he needs 4 shooters next to him at all times or the paint will be clogged. And Irving + Trae doesn’t make much sense. 

Edited by GThawks3
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

pg Young

sg Levine/Irving

sf Simmons

pf Hunter

c  Capela or OO

You lose the game when you start talking about Irving.   He's a headcase who doesn't put Basketball first and he wants a 250 Million dollar deal.   That's a no.

So here's a deal to consider because I dont think we need that much...

Bogi, Gallo, Hunter for Simmon/Harris.  

No Picks. No nothing.   Everybody leaves happier. 

What we would have:

• Young/Delon/Shariff
  • Heurter/Harris
  • Simmons/FA
  • JC/JJ
  • Clint/OO/Mark Williams. 

First let's talk about Why Brooklyn does it.

They actually get good bonafide players.  Hunter brings defense.   Bogi is a starting quality SG.  Gallo and Seth come off the bench.   There are enough bigs to go shopping.  There are bigs in FAcy that they can get for MLE.   Bruce Brown returns to either start over Bogi or they can SNT him somewhere else. 

Let's talk about us...

Simmons provides the defense that we needed.   Simmons provides a playmaker that we have needed.   We're potent.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, shakes said:

Sturt, I really don’t like any of your posts, but I gotta say you are without a doubt the classiest person who posts here.  I know that’s a bit of a tallest midget award around these parts, but just wanted to let you know your great attitude has not gone unnoticed.  Now carry on with your bad takes good sir.  

There's no way you don't like any of his posts. I'm just going to picture you trying to hold back a smile while typing this. 

embarrassed-tsundere.gif

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dean Walker said:

Julius is making less than jc even though he’s the much more talented player.

Julius max isn’t a bad contract like Tobias harris is.

Julius won’t make 30mil until the final year of his contract.

Look if you don’t like his style of play just say that.

But Don’t try and act like the dude is a scrub.

He’s better than ever player on our roster besides Trae Young.

And that’s just fact!

THEN.  WHY.  ARE.  THEY.  WILLING.  TRADE.  HIM.  FOR.  GALLO?

That’s the part of the equation you keep failing to address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

Simmons just can’t play with Capela. Two non shooters won’t work in this era and I don’t know how you play a guy who doesn’t score outside of the paint at SF. 

Simmons is a PF and he needs 4 shooters next to him at all times or the paint will be clogged. And Irving + Trae doesn’t make much sense. 

Simmons been playing point guard and will not shoot, so placing him on the wings isn't nothing.  With him and Hunter, it doesn't matter which one of them is playing SF OR PF, it just depends on game to game matchups.  You want your scoring from Hunter and the backcourt.  You can still keep Capela involved by running double high post sets in which you give Trae the option to lob to Capela or kick to the other big.  

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You lose the game when you start talking about Irving.   He's a headcase who doesn't put Basketball first and he wants a 250 Million dollar deal.   That's a no.

So here's a deal to consider because I dont think we need that much...

Bogi, Gallo, Hunter for Simmon/Harris.  

No Picks. No nothing.   Everybody leaves happier. 

What we would have:

• Young/Delon/Shariff
  • Heurter/Harris
  • Simmons/FA
  • JC/JJ
  • Clint/OO/Mark Williams. 

First let's talk about Why Brooklyn does it.

They actually get good bonafide players.  Hunter brings defense.   Bogi is a starting quality SG.  Gallo and Seth come off the bench.   There are enough bigs to go shopping.  There are bigs in FAcy that they can get for MLE.   Bruce Brown returns to either start over Bogi or they can SNT him somewhere else. 

Let's talk about us...

Simmons provides the defense that we needed.   Simmons provides a playmaker that we have needed.   We're potent.

Let me clear something up about Irving.  It doesn't have to be Irving, I just want a Irving type player.  He stays on my radar because he is available and he is good.  I would be happy with Levine, Harris is intriguing.  The point is the Hawks have to upgrade Bogi.  Everything else you wrote I agree with.  Simmons has to be part of this.

• Premium Member
Just now, Hawkmoor said:

Let me clear something up about Irving.  It doesn't have to be Irving, I just want a Irving type player.  He stays on my radar because he is available and he is good.  I would be happy with Levine, Harris is intriguing.  The point is the Hawks have to upgrade Bogi.  Everything else you wrote I agree with.  Simmons has to be part of this.

People keep calling Levine's name (and believe me, I would like this more than a little bit)... but I now know that his name was floated so that Klutch can force Chicago to pay more.  He's unrestricted.  For Klutch that's blood in the water.  But if he is interested, it gives us an overwhelming offensive advantage.  But defensively, we still have some issues.  Plus, Levine is not an outstanding ball handler. 

I equate Levine with Spyda Mitchell.  About the same price, a little smaller better ball handler and shot creator.  Overwhelming offensive advantage.  Defensive issues. 

Simmons is a good answer.  We'd just have to force ourself to believe in either Bogi or Kev for shooting. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

But you really want to pay him that much to come off the bench? His numbers are going to go down a lot in that role and is that really worth 25m a year? He’s played 36/37 mpg last 2 years. JC does not need in even a more expensive backup taking his minutes. 

Want? No.

But.

I do want a starter-quality player as that asset on my second unit that can conceivably come off the bench and be the asset that leads the team to a win on occasion. It's not normal you can get bargains filling that function. It happens... maybe a rookie who proves to be an over-performer... but it's rare.

And.

I'm more content with that price knowing what we're being told to expect with the next TV contract, which inherently is going to have the effect of enlarging the cap--which in turn, shrinks the impact of his contract if/when/as that happens.

And.

We've now entered a new phase of the evolution of this team... both your #1 (Trae) and your #2 (JC) are now getting paid on their second contracts. So, where you could afford to have a $38m coming off your bench last season, you have to reduce that or pay progressive tax. Better to have one player who has been an All-Star and is entering his prime professional years at ~$26m, or better to have two players who are good but aren't at all likely to raise to that level @ ~$13m? I might opt for the latter, except in my own calculation, I have us adding a $2m Lu Dort for 2022-23, and I feel good about that.

1 hour ago, GThawks3 said:

JC does not need in even a more expensive backup taking his minutes. 

Someone's going to get those minutes, of course. And I'm less concerned with the optics of JC making slightly less. It's only a big deal to the degree that JC would be the kind of person to make it a big deal. I'm persuaded JC wants to win.

Having said that, it can't be said enough, as long as JR has clarity that JC is going to be the #1 PF and him the #2... then when JR signs off on waiving his trade kicker (a necessity for a 1 for 1 Gallo trade), that's all you/I/we need to know about JR's want to win.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

People keep calling Levine's name (and believe me, I would like this more than a little bit)... but I now know that his name was floated so that Klutch can force Chicago to pay more.  He's unrestricted.  For Klutch that's blood in the water.  But if he is interested, it gives us an overwhelming offensive advantage.  But defensively, we still have some issues.  Plus, Levine is not an outstanding ball handler. 

I equate Levine with Spyda Mitchell.  About the same price, a little smaller better ball handler and shot creator.  Overwhelming offensive advantage.  Defensive issues. 

Simmons is a good answer.  We'd just have to force ourself to believe in either Bogi or Kev for shooting. 

Oh, Spyda is Donovan's nickname. lol, tells you how much I been keeping up with him.  Yeah,  getting Spyda would be almost like getting Levine. I like Levine's demeaner on the court.  He got that dog the Hawks sorely lack and when he get on a roll, he has that Durant/ Irving/DeRozan type streak in him where he can't be stopped.  Mitchell would be like getting a lesser version of him in my opinion but would work with Simmons on the roster.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, kg01 said:

To his credit, @sturt hopped off that bandwagon once it was clear the train was heading toward a cliff.

No worries, stu.  We all have 'em on our resumes.  I once thought Mo Bamba was gonna be a 'thing' in the league.

hehe

And I would remind our friend @RandomFan that it turns out... if one ignores the critics... ol' stu wasn't wrong on Pankos. To hear some reminisce, you'd think stu made it out that Pankos would be a starter in the league once given a chance. Truth is, stu only made it out that some team would sign him. That's it. And yep. It happened. I'd penciled him into the 3rd PG slot for us this time last off-season.

But I thank you for acting as public defense attorney representing my best interests, kg. 🙂

• Like 1