• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The cobbled together, stuff we held on to during the playoffs mega super rumor and team direction thread.

thecampster

3 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Okay, outside the box thinking here.  Whether or not OKC spends the money on Gallo or not, for the purposes of financial calculation to end the season, they're short of the 90% required by the league.  For background, to keep teams from not paying players, being cheap, the NBA requires teams to spend 90% of the salary cap.

"

Teams with a team salary below the minimum are surcharged for their shortfall, with the money distributed among the players on that team.

Amounts paid as buyouts to international teams (see question number 77) do not count toward the minimum team payroll." 

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap11.htm

So with 23.4 million remaining, Cap of 112.4, that leaves OKC with a $12.16 million shortfall that they will have to pay.  Stay with me here.

The calculations are based on players remaining on your roster at the end of the season and not the total amount you paid in salaries.  So theoretically since they would have to pay a $12.16 million regardless, OKC could trade for $12.16 million in Salary (absorb Gallo and send back waste) and save themselves from having to pay the difference under 90%.  I'm trusting the tweet and haven't run the exact math but yah, there you are. Taking on Gallo's salary for next year and then flipping him as soon as he's eligible could save them real money this year plus gain them another draft asset. I need to ruminate on this.

I remember saying this would be OKC's incentive or any team with with a salary cap below the floor to take on Gallo. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@thecampster Denver kicks off the pre end of season trades. 

OKC gets a 2027 1st for $8 mil in salary and pick #30.

I'm sure Denver is wishing they waited to early extend MPJ. Injury concern is huge. At least they have some Exhibit 3 protection on it.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I would not move OO this soon (unless high return of course) even if we bring in Ayton. OO may not be ready to start as the primary PF on offense given his current limitations, but it does not mean he can't/won't develop those skills over the next year or two. And I'm not worried about pick status in determining wether he starts or not. I've seen pick status not be a factor enough times to give it credence. Let your play on the floor determining factor.

1. We have 2 years to determine OOs trajectory. By then both DA and JC will have 2 years left on their deals - maybe it's one of them that gets moved in 2 years 

2. Hawks still need an experienced backup C, that'll be OO, even if we kept CC, OO still has to show he can supplant him as the starter before his anticipated payday.

3. With the way of the NBA going small, Hawks need versatility in their lineups. Besides, Ayton ability to step out beyond the paint and shoot with range leaves OO to work inside if they are paired together in some lineups. So you can have JC and OO and DA amd OO lineups. 

4.  With Ayton not as good defensively as Cap, we still need established defenders in the front court.

5. OO has been this good as a defender: he's held Giannis to 29%, Embiid 35%, Bam 37% and KAT 25% field goals. I'm not trading this for a rookie.

Never said Trade OO for a pick.  I said trade him for a starter (6th man of the year). 

However, your points are valid... Except,

• Ayton would not be signed to a 2 year deal if we got him SNT. 
  • We're expecting somebody that has never played PF to all the sudden become one.   Like I have said before.. JJ is closer. 
  • If we're losing so much in the trade of CC for DA... why are we doing it?

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Dean Walker said:

Here's what would be fun with that... get some fans from each team together to democratically decide their team's best offer within the parameters of what can be legitimately offered/accepted, of course... then take it to a similar group of PHX fans to vote for their favorite.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Here's what would be fun with that... get some fans from each team together to democratically decide their team's best offer within the parameters of what can be legitimately offered/accepted, of course... then take it to a similar group of PHX fans to vote for their favorite.

Ive seen Miles Bridges and PJ Washington for Ayton from Hornets fans.. lol

Is that better than CC and picks?

Pretty sure the Suns will want a center back, unless they plan on rolling with Javele...

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Ive seen Miles Bridges and PJ Washington for Ayton from Hornets fans.. lol

Is that better than CC and picks?

Pretty sure the Suns will want a center back, unless they plan on rolling with Javele...

From everything I have read, the Suns are very interested in Capela.  They view him as cheaper but game ready and more defensive than Ayton.  Us in Atlanta has a lot of hopes based on Ayton's age and offensive abilities.   However, we completely ignore the fact that Ayton does nothing to help his peers on defense and sometimes, he take defensive plays off.   We're trading a defensively active, rebounding, offensively challenged player for an offensively skilled, rebounding, defensively challenged guy.   The Suns like it.. especially if they can get a future pick too.   CP3 has first hand knowledge of Capela. 

• Premium Member
On 4/27/2022 at 7:36 AM, thecampster said:

This will probably be my last post as "an insider". Do not shoot the elected messenger. So a huge disclaimer before this gets posted.  A few weeks before the play in, I lost 2 of my 3 sources. The 3rd guy has been spot on the last year or so with info but its hard for me to say “stuff I’ve heard” when its only coming from 1 guy.

I had a talk with the both of the other 2 before their tenures where they were came to a final close (nothing bad, moving out and up in the world), and they downloaded the chatter they’d heard as a final goodbye. A short time after that, Sothron, Supes and I revived our rumor chat and many of the things I was told they had been hearing. Some of it was shared on the board.  What follows is greater than speculation, not yet rumor, some hotter than other. Lastly, a decision was made not to discuss some of it openly as the playoffs has changed more players’ futures than Gatorade. What follows is the summation of conversations held early in April. I'll talk less about incoming players. Expect the other 2 guys to chime in later with their targeted players getting buzz.

The trade deadline – ownership and other stakeholders were very unhappy about the dealing around the trade deadline. They wanted consolidation trades and couldn’t swing anything. There was a feeling around the league the Hawks were dangerous and no one wanted to help. But, there was also a feeling that everything the Hawks wanted to do was a swindle. Our players were valued greater as a whole than as individuals. Ownership is eager to shake things up. Specifically, to get bigger around Trae.

Clint – Management likes Clint but they do not see him as defensively dominant enough to put around Trae.  They see him as good and serviceable but a better fit on a team bigger at the 2/3/4. They feel he is not getting the help he needs. We either move Clint for a dominant center or will upgrade all 3 positions between him and Trae for size.

Collins – Management loves John the person. Management also thinks John is a better fit next to a dominant center or elsewhere. John is not strong enough, big enough and is hurt too much to put next to Trae and Clint. They know his athleticism will fade.

Bogi – Management is very frustrated with his injury situation. Mad at their medical staff for clearing him. Bogi’s knee issues are suspected to be degenerative and will need to be managed. Bogi’s defense is opportunistic but a net negative in its own right. He is a terrible fit next to Trae. Huerter is not the long term answer and will eventually be on the bench but his defensive fit next to Trae was a necessity. If Bogi plays hard defense 1 night, his knee makes him useless the next….This is why Huerter is starting and why Bogi is the number 1 person on the trading block.

Gallo – The team loves everything Gallo brings. They do not love it $21 million worth. Gallo is a financial decision they tried to make at the trade deadline and got mediocre interest at best. A decision was made to waive or trade him in the coming offseason and the team isn’t happy about it. They love him but he just isn’t worth $20 million + a year at this stage of his career.

Cooper – Cooper openly complained about his role and opportunities. He may not be back and could be packaged.

Wright – The Hawks love everything about him. For a player the team thought they made a mistake on 10 games in, he is now solidly a Hawk. They can’t overpay him and he may take the money elsewhere (he’s played himself onto a number of rosters now), but the Hawks want to bring him back.

TLC – If the price is right.

Hunter – Hunter complained openly about touches and the end of the season was all about him proving he could hold on to the ball and be effective. The jury is out. He improved but is not efficient. The offseason will be big for Hunter and he could be included in a trade deal to get a true star 2 to put next to Trae.

The team wants 3 things in the offseason.  1) To get bigger, more physical. This starts at both Center and PF. The Hawks will be shopping.  2) The team wants a solid #2 scorer/ball handler. 3) To utilize their draft capital and multiple assets to consolidate bringing in 2 stars. Either 2 elite bigs or 1 elite big and 1 elite 2.

The team is very interested in trading out of this year’s draft and using their pick to upgrade. This entire offseason is about getting players who will help them punish teams that double/trap Trae.

Nate isn’t going anywhere this season. He doesn’t like his team’s personal identity and has worked with management to address it this offseason.  Expect moves. Everyone is on board.

If you see the Hawks make a move for either Ayton, Gobert (or even A.Davis), then that is just the first domino to fall. Clint, John, Dre, Bogi, Gallo, Cooper could all have a new address next season and we could easily not have a draft pick.  5 out, 3 in is very likely.

I'll bump the first post in this thread from 7 weeks ago for a refresher. It's worth the re-read.

• Like 2

I wanna fck with the Raps in trade talk. I like OG even in a straight swap style for JC but I’d take on whomever to make it work, Boucher, Birch, Trent jr. I like Siakam a ton too. If not SGA in OKC, let’s talk I Masai U. 

I feel like they are the new Spurs as far as players understanding themselves and what they can do individually.

I’d be down to poachem for parts. :cheer:

6 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I wanna fck with the Raps in trade talk. I like OG even in a straight swap style for JC but I’d take on whomever to make it work, Boucher, Birch, Trent jr. I like Siakam a ton too. If not SGA in OKC, let’s talk I Masai U. 

I feel like they are the new Spurs as far as players understanding themselves and what they can do individually.

He's too smart to be won over in a trade. But I do like a lot of their pieces... mainly OG and Trent Jr. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Raptors' Scottie Barnes selected to NBA's 2021-22 All-Rookie First Team

Spud, Scottie...

Scottie, Spud!

I thought it was time that you two met. 

• Confused 1

• Premium Member

If the Knicks can get the 4th pick for Randle ,11 & two unprotected future 1sts I think we can beat that!

jc plus 16, Hunter and future 1st blows that offer out of the water!

trae/lou

ivey/bogi

kevin/jj

Oo/jj

ayton/?

That would be epic!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2