• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Kid's a shooter.

I also like to see that Nate had him first off the bench.  His defense is much improved from Duke.  Still not good, but not down right awful.

Beutiful textbook stroke, a little slow on the windup but he's got the length that makes it a non issue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

Kid's a shooter.

I also like to see that Nate had him first off the bench.  His defense is much improved from Duke.  Still not good, but not down right awful.

My boy! Y’all makin me itch to watch now. Haven’t missed a Hawks game, preseason or not in a decade 😂 ok maybe 98.7%, but missed this one.

Braves postseason>Hawks pre

Still watching it though I can’t not 😂 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Wretch said:

Yeah so...  I didn't wanna be the first one to say it.  Trying to remain cautiously optimistic and not jump the gun.  LOL, ya'll are talking him up so...I might as well come on in too.  He's got natural shooter's instincts...  He gets to his spots, moving without the ball, watching the play develop, and he's waiting on it.  His form is a little odd, but that stroke is CLEAN.

That last part is all that matters!  His shot is pure even though it's odd.  Steph Curry has an unusual form too, well when he first came into the league it was unusual. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

The step in, it remind you of triple J any?  But AJ more pure.

I guess I never paid attention to him because he's so tall, but yeah.  Very similar with the way they both spread their feet too. 

I was trying to figure out who he reminds me of...and I watched a bunch of "worst NBA shooting forms" videos...lol.  I see a little bit of Reggie the way his hands come together on the follow through.  Not nearly as high a release tho.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is by far the biggest thing - he remains 'shot ready'

Yuuuuup...  His hands are anticipating the ball and he's moving his feet as the play develops...long before it swings to him.  That's a shooter fer sure...lol

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

My boy! Y’all makin me itch to watch now. Haven’t missed a Hawks game, preseason or not in a decade 😂 ok maybe 98.7%, but missed this one.

Braves postseason>Hawks pre

Still watching it though I can’t not 😂 

You'll be very pleased once you watch. 

He won't be ROTY or anything, just won't get enough minutes for that.  But he definitely looks like he belongs, comfortable in his role so far.  That means a lot for a winning team.

Guys that pushed for this kid look like nostradamus rn.  You know, guys like you and me. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Travis learned his lesson from the Cam Reddish debacle. College stats do in fact matter at a school like Duke. Whereas Cam had historically poor shooting numbers, AJ had historically good shooting numbers. 

If Cam was Moss, who's Griffin gonna be?

😇

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Travis learned his lesson from the Cam Reddish debacle. College stats do in fact matter at a school like Duke. Whereas Cam had historically poor shooting numbers, AJ had historically good shooting numbers. 

Not sure about this but there is no doubt that AJ looked like an elite shooting prospect no matter how you cut it and would have gone considerably higher without the health issues that limited his athleticism and reps over the last two years.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Not sure about this but there is no doubt that AJ looked like an elite shooting prospect no matter how you cut it and would have gone considerably higher without the health issues that limited his athleticism and reps over the last two years.

Cam's shooting numbers were the worst any top 10 pick ever had.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

You know, guys like you and me. 

Zion tonight baby! I was watching some thing about Zion tweaking his ankle and someone was saying it’s physics and that he won’t stay healthy long term to be that superstar. Did you write that thing? Lol.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Cam's shooting numbers were the worst any top 10 pick ever had.

Duh but that isn't what we are talking about.  The claim you made was that Schlenk had changed how he evaluates prospects.  I don't think you can make that leap just because he took a good shooter.  Cam had a lot of skills that TS thought would add to the team if they panned out beyond his shooting - namely he looked like an impact defender who had the physical tools and skills to be a secondary playmaker and effective rebounder.  I don't know that he wouldn't be interested in someone like Cam again in the future.  In fact, our big offseason addition was someone who looks a lot like what a Cam who panned out looks like - strong defender, secondary playmaker, impact rebounder and so-so shooter.  Cam's TS% last year was .543% TS% and his career TS% is .512%.  DM's career TS% is .515% and his career high is .533%.  Clearly TS is still willing to invest heavily in guys who aren't great shooters if they bring a lot of other skills to the table.

I think TS is always interested in good shooters (it is why he went after Bogi, Gallo, Huerter, etc.) but has never exclusively focused on good shooters (Cam, CC, DM, Wright, etc.).  So I'm not sure that picking a pick who fell in the draft (very much on brand for him ala JC, JJ and others) represents any kind of change in the way he evaluates players and prospects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Duh but that isn't what we are talking about.  The claim you made was that Schlenk had changed how he evaluates prospects.  I don't think you can make that leap just because he took a good shooter.  Cam had a lot of skills that TS thought would add to the team if they panned out beyond his shooting - namely he looked like an impact defender who had the physical tools and skills to be a secondary playmaker and effective rebounder.  I don't know that he wouldn't be interested in someone like Cam again in the future.  In fact, our big offseason addition was someone who looks a lot like what a Cam who panned out looks like - strong defender, secondary playmaker, impact rebounder and so-so shooter.  Cam's TS% last year was .543% TS% and his career TS% is .512%.  DM's career TS% is .515% and his career high is .533%.  Clearly TS is still willing to invest heavily in guys who aren't great shooters if they bring a lot of other skills to the table.

I think TS is always interested in good shooters (it is why he went after Bogi, Gallo, Huerter, etc.) but has never exclusively focused on good shooters (Cam, CC, DM, Wright, etc.).  So I'm not sure that picking a pick who fell in the draft (very much on brand for him ala JC, JJ and others) represents any kind of change in the way he evaluates players and prospects.

So the normally staid and restrained @AHF used the snarky "duh". I must have touched a nerve. My apologies.

• Haha 1