• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

We here on the Squawk believe that we have had our biggest question answered.  "Can AJ Griffin really be as good as we think that he is?"  

Having an injury past, he fell in the draft, all the way down to the Atlanta Hawk's turn.  As a further consern, we didn't get to see him in Summer League.  

Now, we give a big sigh of relief.  This teen-ager is ready for the season.  In fact, we believe he will be in our rotation.  This would be a big step for Nate.  AJ is going to be that good so don't be shocked if you see him in the regular season.  JJ too.

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

So the normally staid and restrained @AHF used the snarky "duh". I must have touched a nerve. My apologies.

Sorry.  It was just that the point you made in the second post was super obvious and is agreed on by everyone on the Board.  We had tons of discussion around his historically bad shooting numbers at Duke.  So I went with "duh" as in "of course that is right."

What I was trying to engage on, though, was the idea that the drafting of AJ was suggestive that Schlenk's approach to evaluating prospects or players in general has changed.  I don't see the drafting of AJ as evidence of a change in philosophy.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Zion tonight baby! I was watching some thing about Zion tweaking his ankle and someone was saying it’s physics and that he won’t stay healthy long term to be that superstar. Did you write that thing? Lol.

Zion out with sprained ankle.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Zion tonight baby! I was watching some thing about Zion tweaking his ankle and someone was saying it’s physics and that he won’t stay healthy long term to be that superstar. Did you write that thing? Lol.

Eh, I don't wish injury on the guy or anyone else.  Just want to state that plainly.  But I don't forsee Zion staying healthy.

That said, this ankle sprain is probably just a routine thing.  Could've happened to anybody.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

That said, this ankle sprain is probably just a routine thing.  Could've happened to anybody.

Ankle sprains can definitely happen to anyone, but it feels like something always happens to Zion.  Whether common or rare, he just seems to always be out anymore.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Eh, I don't wish injury on the guy or anyone else.  Just want to state that plainly.  But I don't forsee Zion staying healthy.

Uh huh, gloat on you jinxed this kid. He’s still gonna be a star ⭐️ despite the evil 😈 you placed on him. :nailbiting:#rangersuarez #zionhurt #theomen #damien  #666 #ikid :frantics:

Edited by Spud2nique
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I would still prefer Jalen Williams but OKC stole him ahead of us so Griffin is a great constellation prize.

I disagree here. The only other prospect in the region where we picked that would have been a Schlenk pick was Agbaji from Kansas. IMHO 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jalen is a beast. Do you see what he's doing with OKC

I saw him live at Santa Clara, smart player with skills for sure. Nah haven’t watched him, it’s preseason. I haven’t even watched our own game vs Cavs from a couple days ago yet.

• Like 3

Will tonight be the night?  Remember, Orlando Magic have their own super hero rookie.  Atlanta needs to answer this.  Can AJ manage to see the floor tonight?  Nate?  Can he, please?

😉

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the sample size is low, but Griffin is now our 3rd best player on WAR and RAPTOR stats, his offensive advanced stats are insane, best on the team, on defense he is much better than Justin Holiday and Trae. His defense is good and there is no reason to play Holiday ahead of him, he should be getting 15-20 mpg all nights. Holiday is our worst player by far.

JJ is the only player with Murray that is positive on offense and defense, he is playing great and deserves some extra minutes as well. I think Nate is doing right with front court minutes although we could use a big body for certain matchups but he really needs to stop playing Holiday and start playing Griffin.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Okay, I know I’m way more positive than a lot of folks around here and don’t have the basketball acumen some of you do..but I’m very impressed with this guy. Especially coming out as somebody labeled as an athletic shooter.

He has an advanced feel for the game on the offensive end, he’s just so smooth and in control out there. He is confident and with his frame (especially at his young age) should be a plus defender if he just stays healthy. It’s way too early but I’m thrilled with what we have seen so far. Not all great players come from the lottery!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I agree that the sample size is low, but Griffin is now our 3rd best player on WAR and RAPTOR stats, his offensive advanced stats are insane, best on the team, on defense he is much better than Justin Holiday and Trae. His defense is good and there is no reason to play Holiday ahead of him, he should be getting 15-20 mpg all nights. Holiday is our worst player by far.

JJ is the only player with Murray that is positive on offense and defense, he is playing great and deserves some extra minutes as well. I think Nate is doing right with front court minutes although we could use a big body for certain matchups but he really needs to stop playing Holiday and start playing Griffin.

I always really like this poster. Very underrated with Benhillboy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1