• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

2 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

But it does.  Nate says: "You haven't proven yourself in the NBA, therefore I can't trust you."  Veterans, on the other hand, have proven what they are capable of.  Therefore, we must have veterans.  See my point?

😇

I see your point

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Is this invalid playing tonight or is he gonna start his career already hurt?   Let’s go, I leave for Israel tomorrow.  This is literally the only summer league game I’m going to be able to watch.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Warriors, Celtics, Sixers, Heat, Grizzlies all had success despite giving big minutes to 1st and 2nd year players.

Trust must go hand in hand with Development. No player that you draft should have the same question marks that keep them off the court going in to years 2 or 3 of their rookie contract. That means coaching and development haven’t done their job of getting them ready to compete. Draft assets are too valuable, as we have seen come draft night, for them not to touch the floor and have some kind of an impact. That’s a waste of an asset that could have been better spent elsewhere. Organizations must be committed to developing these young guys.

Right.

But.

Covid.

The curve ball in the conventional wisdom that made dominoes fall in a whole new way.

We're past that now, of course, but we had that affecting the game from March 2020 through February 2022.

Now we can get back to normal. Given all the context, though, there was more than sufficient reason to choose as the ATL principals chose to do.

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Warriors, Celtics, Sixers, Heat, Grizzlies all had success despite giving big minutes to 1st and 2nd year players.

Trust must go hand in hand with Development. No player that you draft should have the same question marks that keep them off the court going in to years 2 or 3 of their rookie contract. That means coaching and development haven’t done their job of getting them ready to compete. Draft assets are too valuable, as we have seen come draft night, for them not to touch the floor and have some kind of an impact. That’s a waste of an asset that could have been better spent elsewhere. Organizations must be committed to developing these young guys.

Warriors barely played most of their 1st and 2nd year guys which were higher picked than our guys. 

We play Okongwu. We been drafting raw talent guys the last 2 seasons. Playing them right now when we got a gleague program just doesn't make sense unless they are ready for a role.

Grizzlies tend to draft polished guys who aren't college freshman. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, shakes said:

Is this invalid playing tonight or is he gonna start his career already hurt?   Let’s go, I leave for Israel tomorrow.  This is literally the only summer league game I’m going to be able to watch.

I hope nobody plays then.  Haha, suck it shakes.

😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Warriors barely played most of their 1st and 2nd year guys which were higher picked than our guys. 

We play Okongwu. We been drafting raw talent guys the last 2 seasons. Playing them right now when we got a gleague program just doesn't make sense unless they are ready for a role.

Grizzlies tend to draft polished guys who aren't college freshman. 

Kuminga and Moody both played more games and minutes for the world champs than Jalen did for a play-in team.

Jordan Poole (2019 pick 28) already became one of their best players going in to last season while we gave up on his classmate Cam and are holding our breath on Dre. We gave them minutes but results are mixed on if they actually were developed properly. Meanwhile Poole very well may have outplayed both Klay and Wiggins this past season. 

As far as the Grizzlies, kudos to them. Nobody forces us to draft “projects” in favor of ready made players. We picked who we picked knowing we were trying to win. Projects made sense 3-4 years ago. We can draft win now players if we truly want to. That’s not a good excuse. Especially knowing we had 2 PF’s with contracts we were willing to move. Developing Jalen should have been a bigger priority. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Kuminga and Moody both played more games and minutes for the world champs than Jalen did for a play-in team.

Jordan Poole (2019 pick 28) already became one of their best players going in to last season while we gave up on his classmate Cam and are holding our breath on Dre. We gave them minutes but results are mixed on if they actually were developed properly. Meanwhile Poole very well may have outplayed both Klay and Wiggins this past season. 

As far as the Grizzlies, kudos to them. Nobody forces us to draft “projects” in favor of ready made players. We picked who we picked knowing we were trying to win. Projects made sense 3-4 years ago. We can draft win now players if we truly want to. That’s not a good excuse. Especially knowing we had 2 PF’s with contracts we were willing to move. Developing Jalen should have been a bigger priority. 

I didn't say we played our guys more, I said GS barely played their guys.

Cam and Dre got way more PT than Poole did. Injuries have negatively impacted both wings in ways it didn't impact Poole. Poole didn't outplay Wiggins. He didn't come close to Andrew. 

We draft players we project to be the best players in the draft that we can possibly draft. Considering our spot, those high upside guys tend to be really raw or they wouldn't have fell to us of the last two drafts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

had to already remind him it's an 82 game season, so slow down.

Apple 🍎 doesn’t fall far from the tree 🌲 Adrian put in that grind too back in the day. Always coming up with hustle play steals and boards at key times.

LETS GO AJ!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

SIAP...

AJ as a HS junior was an athletic beast. The theory is that his knee injury kept that from being on display at Duke.

You should see him in 2K. I’ve been playing a while. They never made a Hawks rookie this athletic.. maybe Smoove I can’t remember 2K wise back that far but AJ is a highlight athletically.

6 hours ago, sturt said:

SIAP...

AJ as a HS junior was an athletic beast. The theory is that his knee injury kept that from being on display at Duke.

WOW!

:smug:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

What???

“Missing summer league won’t help Griffin see the floor early. His best chance at minutes will be at the 4 behind John Collins, who’s also been rumored in trades all summer. Atlanta moving Collins would really open the door for Griffin to provide shooting off the bench, though the addition of Justin Holiday, a potentially healthy Jalen Johnson, and breakout candidate Onyeka Okongwu could also be higher in the pecking order.”

The 6-foot-6 Griffin finding time at the 4 in small-ball lineups would certainly open up the floor for the Hawks to get dribble penetration.

But an even more likely role for Griffin once healthy is spot-up wing shooter off of the bench.

Please Nate....don't do this....EVER!

https://soaringdownsouth.com/2022/07/26/atlanta-hawks-rookie-aj-griffin-destined-g-league/

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed for the most part but some dudes can handle it at a small height like a PJ Tucker. AJ is strong, maybe some 4 in a few years but I’d be surprised to see him at 4 early on.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agreed for the most part but some dudes can handle it at a small height like a PJ Tucker. AJ is strong, maybe some 4 in a few years but I’d be surprised to see him at 4 early on.

AJ is also only 18 years old...PJ has that old man strength.

• Like 2