• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Almost feel like if he doesn't get his twitch back, gains about 15 to 20 pounds, he could be a small ball 4 who can guard big wings and 4s like P.J. Tucker but he has to significantly development as a defender. Offensively, almost like Mashburn. 

If he can drop about 10 pounds and play at 215, gain his twitch back, he could be a mashup of Devin Booker and Iso Joe with shades of Michael Redd. 

The defensive stuff is over blown. He had slow recognition because he hadn't played in two years. He is super.young. 

He had a dislocated knee cap, a minisucs tear and a sprain ankle. Those aren't debilatating injuries as far as I know. Give him time to develop in the f league this year and we got ourselves a steal.

Add all his skills with the shooting and we have an allstar two way guard/forward to go along with our elite point guard.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

The defensive stuff is over blown. He had slow recognition because he hadn't played in two years. He is super.young. 

He had a dislocated knee cap, a minisucs tear and a sprain ankle. Those aren't debilatating injuries as far as I know. Give him time to develop in the f league this year and we got ourselves a steal.

Add all his skills with the shooting and we have an allstar two way guard/forward to go along with our elite point guard.

It's not overblown, it's really an issue but I do believe he can fix it to some degree. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It's not overblown, it's really an issue but I do believe he can fix it to some degree. 

It's overblown because they act like these 18 year olds are supposed to be Giannis out there.

As long as the tools and the want to play defense in the NBA, I generally don't hold the defense against them.

AJ showed plenty of flashes of good defense if you watch his scouting reports and that's all I look for. 

There's a lot of bad there too, but when I look at someone who hasn't played team basketball in two years and is the 4th youngest player in the draft, I take the bad defense with a grain of salt. 

The scouting community in general over blows bad defense in young prospects. I give you one Anothy Edwards as an example.  They harped on his defense even though he was super young and just quite frankly took plays off at GA.  I watched him and saw flashes and said this dude can lock down when he wants.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, marco102 said:

It's overblown because they act like these 18 year olds are supposed to be Giannis out there.

As long as the tools and the want to play defense in the NBA, I generally don't hold the defense against them.

AJ showed plenty of flashes of good defense if you watch his scouting reports and that's all I look for. 

There's a lot of bad there too, but when I look at someone who hasn't played team basketball in two years and is the 4th youngest player in the draft, I take the bad defense with a grain of salt. 

The scouting community in general over blows bad defense in young prospects. I give you one Anothy Edwards as an example.  They harped on his defense even though he was super young and just quite frankly took plays off at GA.  I watched him and saw flashes and said this dude can lock down when he wants.

Ant did suck ass. That said, I never saw the lateral quickness issues from Ant that I see from Griffin. Also Ant tested out as an once in a generation athlete. It's hard to compare guys to Ant. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Ant did suck ass. That said, I never saw the lateral quickness issues from Ant that I see from Griffin. Also Ant tested out as an once in a generation athlete. It's hard to compare guys to Ant. 

In College he did. 

It's like all they do is look and tape and say oh he's terrible without considering the reason some are terrible. Guys are 18 years old and probably never had to play defense a day in their lives.  AJ was a good defender in high school, but always showed effort.  With his tools effort will get him a long way.

He does have some lateral quickness issues, but some of that is not recognizing the reads as quickly as he should. 

I'll project AJ as a good defender throughout his NBA career. He'll probably always be a better defender of bigger players than smaller ones, but I think the defensive issues are again over blown.

We can come back to this post in a few years if I'm wrong. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:26 AM, bleachkit said:

Well according to all reports he is working under Travis and Travis retains final say on all major personnel decisions. 

"Big moves" = Major personnel decisions...

I wish that we had the type of culture where it wasn’t even a question if a young guy was going to learn how to play defense during his time with us.

Like, if we drafted a dude with weak D (no pun) but we all could say confidently “Well, knowing coach ___, he ain't got no choice BUT to pick it up on the defensive end.” And we all believed that was the case.

Instead, we really don’t know what to expect. Most of our current players are capable defenders who just don’t come out locked in on that side of the ball. It’s hard for any rookie to grow next to vets who don’t lead by example.

Good Luck AJ

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I wish that we had the type of culture where it wasn’t even a question if a young guy was going to learn how to play defense during his time with us.

Like, if we drafted a dude with weak D (no pun) but we all could say confidently “Well, knowing coach ___, he ain't got no choice BUT to pick it up on the defensive end.” And we all believed that was the case.

Instead, we really don’t know what to expect. Most of our current players are capable defenders who just don’t come out locked in on that side of the ball. It’s hard for any rookie to grow next to vets who don’t lead by example.

Good Luck AJ

I've been on record for saying our defensive metrics are good when WOAT is not on the court.

• Premium Member

Persuaded over here on this side of the internet that it was never about drafting for the 2022-23 Hawks, always about drafting the player who would be most broadly considered an asset in a trade... ie, once it became clear that we wouldn't strike a pre-draft deal.

Previously, I was skeptical that SAS... with as many 6-5 guys as they have... would be that interested, but if it is true that they worked out Griffin nine (???) times... that's some serious evidence that they thought they saw something special in him.

• Thanks 1

Is this Durant thing happens..

who am I? Who am I supposed to be? 

KD broke the league with his star ⭐️ team to team BS, Robert Horry doing it is fine but you can’t have stars shifting cities this frequently, side show $hit.

8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

When is the introductory press conference?

Right after the trade, baybeeee!!

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I know the general consensus was that the #16 pick would be traded, but since this kid unexpectedly fell to us is it possible he's now not available in trade?

Magic 8 ball says, "Nope".

😁

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I feel nauseous. 

1. Possibility of KD coming..

2. Those damn dibs. You know you try to party 🎉 on a Saturday night and… 

@kg01 you’re BIL team first.. we third.

CB8E68BE-616B-4527-B542-7A47349CC1E0.jpeg

Dafuq they get the Grizzlies from?

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I feel nauseous. 

1. Possibility of KD coming..

2. Those damn dibs. You know you try to party 🎉 on a Saturday night and… 

@kg01 you’re BIL team first.. we third.

CB8E68BE-616B-4527-B542-7A47349CC1E0.jpeg

Wrong thread? 😆 

• Haha 1