• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome A.J. Griffin

marco102

20 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yes, but this is me trying to help you improve as a prospect evaluator. 

The metrics for prospects with defensive tools can be thrown out the window if you see defensive flashes from them. Like AJ had perfectly reasonable explanations as to why he was bad on defense at Duke. 

1. He missed two years of development.

2. He was recovering from a recent and long term injury.

3. Duke's scheme may not have been the best fit for him.

4. He was super young.

For me those 4 things told me he wouldn't be a terrible defender at the NBa level. 

You should take a more holistic approach and not just rely only on the metrics. The people who really dug into his tape said he was not as bad a defender as the consensus made him out to be.

Get the f*** outta here with the sneaky remarks. You can make your point without the diss especially when I haven't dissed you at all. 

1. He did have injury issues, those same injury issues showed in medicals. Those medicals gave teams doubts. If you think about it, he should have been a top 10 lock off his offense alone for a swingman but he wasn't. This isn't an excuse, it's a fact but it's one you can't overlook which is what it seems you are trying to do. 

2. Agree

3. Our scheme was good for a young team and got us to the Final Four. I didn't think he looked out of sorts any. The way the refs call on perimeter defense is just massively different in college than the NBA. Physicality is allowed in the NCAA for bigs but not for perimeter players. A lot of moves Toronto was doing yesterday especially from FVV, O.G. and Barnes, would have been offensive foul galore in the NCAAs. The game is just massively different. 

4. That doesn't mean anything in relation to defense. 

I watched him play every game. That's what told me he was a horrible defender. The thing is, he's not a horrible defender at this level but he's not a world beater or will ever get close to that on that end but functional defender is definitely within scope. It's all up to him, look at JC, he's miles better on D than he was when he first arrived. 

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Get the f*** outta here with the sneaky remarks. You can make your point without the diss especially when I haven't dissed you at all. 

What are you referring to here? I haven't dissed you in anyway? I'm having a conversation about why your initial assessment of his defense could have been off. I told you initially his defense wouldn't be as bad as you thought.

Maybe stop being so defensive and thinking I'm coming for you which isn't the case.

You taught me some things when evaluating prospects and I was just doing the same.

My bad if you got offended from that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, marco102 said:

What are you referring to here? I haven't dissed you in anyway? I'm having a conversation about why your initial assessment of his defense could have been off. I told you initially his defense wouldn't be as bad as you thought.

Maybe stop being so defensive and thinking I'm coming for you which isn't the case.

You taught me some things when evaluating prospects and I was just doing the same.

My bad if you got offended from that.

My bad, I assumed you were trying to sneak in a diss. Thanks for the clarification 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

My bad, I assumed you were trying to sneak in a diss. Thanks for the clarification 

I'm assuming you are referring to the part where I said people who dug into his tape a little more said his defense wouldn't be as bad?

That is probably poor wording on my behalf and my bad.

You and a lot of draft guys look at about 90 prospects each draft. 

Whereas there are a few guys who only look at maybe 30 or 40 and dig into those guys a lot more. 

I only look at about 15 to 20 prospects who I think will benefit the Hawks. 

When I said dug in a little more it is because you look at the draft from an NBA standpoint. I only care about the draft from the Hawks standpoint so I may be able to pick up a few things on some prospects where you will know more about all prospects in general.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Alf said:

As a Carolina guy, hard for me to pull for a Dookie lol. But must say, think this kid will be immense for us on both ends of the floor. Love how he plays the game and will only get better.

Also and apologize if I missed it? But anyway this is my first post here and just wanted to introduce myself. Have lived in North Carolina my whole life and admittedly was a Hornet fan most of that. However when they moved to New Orleans I simply did not follow them anymore due to a lot of reasons, and never got into the dumbass Bobcats. Started watching the Hawks thereafter as could get a lot of their games on TV and have been a fan since, getting to several games a year and of course every time they come to Charlotte.

Favorite past Hawk is Marvin Williams and current is Capela.

Anyway, looking forward to chatting with you all. And if means anything to Falcons fans here lol, not a Panthers fan either. Long time fan of the Dolphins due to Marino.

Cheers.

Welcome to the gang Alf!

• Like 4

• Premium Member
On 11/20/2022 at 9:48 AM, marco102 said:

Lol see first post in this thread. I put my neck out there for AJ like no other prospect. I'm here for the praise and ridicule if he turns into a bust.

Ahh…you know it is nice when Squakwers are arguing over how good a Hawks draftee/player is. Lol. 

• Haha 4

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Watch it Spud!  I'm North Carolina born and still here!

😉

Pretty sure that had more to do with the name and avatar and less to do with being a Carolina fan.  

15 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Yes sir! How are things at Melmac? Is this the first time we’ve had a squawker from a different planet 🌎@AHF:huh:

This place is like MIB headquarters.  We've got aliens in every thread.  All are welcome!  :yes:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Watch it Spud!  I'm North Carolina born and still here!

😉

That’s awesome Gramps are your from anywhere Nique grew up? Washington I believe? Never been to North Carolina or Georgia or anywhere down south. I wanna visit. I been to NY, DC, Chicago, Houston, LA, SF and Portland.