• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ayton, Capela, or Gobert

theheroatl

Ayton, Capela, Gobert  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since we have all speculated this issue to death I wanted to start this topic to discuss our center moving forward. 

Ayton

Pro's: Young, Offense, Timeline with Trae/Murray
Con's: Not Elite Defense, Attitude Questions?

Gobert:

Pro's: Elite Defense, Seasoned
Con's: Attitude Questions?, Albatross Contract

Capela:

Pro's: Contract, Defense, Rapport with Current Team
Con's: Injury-Prone Slightly, Decline of Skills

Other:

Pro's: Cheaper
Con's: Not an impact player or top 5 center

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

While Ayton is not elite Defensively, he is definitely above average. His ability to spread the floor opens up both Trae and Murray's ability to attack the basket and find open guys. If we find a way to get Ayton without using JC, Collins could become the elite rim runner he was before Capella showed up. He would remain a 18/10 guy on good efficiency  with the roster shake up

• Like 4

• Moderators

I said Capela.   I'd rather have Ayton personally but there is something to be said for keeping Trae happy and changing to Ayton creates a question mark on both ends of the floor whether he works with our team.   Capela's deal is right on the timeline for him to be replaced by OO.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I said Capela.   I'd rather have Ayton personally but there is something to be said for keeping Trae happy and changing to Ayton creates a question mark on both ends of the floor whether he works with our team.   Capela's deal is right on the timeline for him to be replaced by OO.  

As much as I'd like the 'idea' of upgrading to Ayton, I must admit I prefer having a defensive presence more.

Not that Capela is perfect in that regard but we know he takes pride on that end and atleast tries to push others to do the same.

And isn't a potential lockerroom issue like Gobert apparently is.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

As much as I'd like the 'idea' of upgrading to Ayton, I must admit I prefer having a defensive presence more.

Not that Capela is perfect in that regard but we know he takes pride on that end and atleast tries to push others to do the same.

And isn't a potential lockerroom issue like Gobert apparently is.

On the Ayton - the Sign and Trade Hard cap issue will be really problematic for the team moving forward, it just limits how we are able to upgrade the team effectively.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Give me this guy

200.gif?cid=790b7611y3hapnqdo6n8br4kc8ed

Wont' complain about touches - just does the job asked of him.

Is he perfect? No - but I know what I will get.

I don't want to invest big money in Centers unless they are Jokic or Embiid special.

I'm fine with Clint even though his poor shooting at the rim is maddening.  But I chose Ayton because @NBASupes has kinda got me thinking along the lines of having OO at the 4 and I think Ayton has a better chance to expand his range to include some mid jumpers that would complement OO nicely.  Ayton is the better offensive player and OO can make up for the loss of Clint defensively.  

*Also, I voted under the assumption that JC will be traded out eventually*

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

On the Ayton - the Sign and Trade Hard cap issue will be really problematic for the team moving forward, it just limits how we are able to upgrade the team effectively.

How long does the hard cap stay in effect?  If multiple years, does it move up with the LT line?  

I still want Ayton but I'm starting to think Capela may be the better fit. What we really need at that position is a lob threat for Trae/Murray, someone that crashes the board consistently and good defense. Obviously Gobert is better at everything I mentioned but his salary and his alleged attitude problems worry me. And of course Trae wants him around. 

• Like 1

It’s not just either or. 

it’s capela or ayton + $5-15M less for other roster spots or gobert + $19M less for other roster spots. 

capela fits what we do, is a good locker room presence and a good center. I’ll take him all day - money just confirms my choice that much more. 

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Just to expound on your point.  It only affects this season, but really limits the Hawks which is why the rumors are the Hawks want Ayton at less than the max.  If they can pull that off, they'd have to move one of Heurter, Bogi, or JC in addition to Capela. 

I'd prefer it be Bogi and Capela if they were going that route. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think @thecampster said as long as Ayton remains on his SnT contract.  I have not looked into it though.

Its 1 year but functionally it might as well be the whole contract.

1st year will lock you in at under $156 million.  Because all of our contracts are "long" and we have to extend Hunter, we won't be able to offer new players more than the minimum. Unless you trade others to get under the apron, you can't even use the Tax Payer MLE because that hard caps you too and we'd be over the apron if we use it.  LT + T-MLE = apron.

• Thanks 1