Ayton, Capela, or Gobert

theheroatl

Ayton, Capela, Gobert  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, AHF said:

So if Capela's salary is $18,206,897

Then that would mean a minimum salary of x: 

.5x*120%+100k = $18,206,897

.6x=$18,106,897

x=$30,178.161.7

something like that.  If Ayton takes less it reduces how much the Suns can take back.

Haven’t read the entire thread, but there’s this:

Ayton is only 23 and his 2022 DRtg was 105.2 (elite!), falling every year he’s been in the league…

Capella is 28 and his 2022 DRtg was 109.3, rising every year over the last 3 seasons.

Ayton’s DRtg should continue that falling trend, still a few years away from his peak. Capella’s will continue rising as he ages past his.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah, but the question now becomes can we do a frontloaded contract for him where his 1st year salary reaches that threshold, and then a descending scale after that? I assume the answer is yes, but I don't pretend to know for sure. 

• Players signed via cap space or using Non-Bird rights are limited to 5% raises (or deductions) of the first year of the contract (raises/deductions do not compound).

• Players signed via Bird rights or Early Bird rights are limited to 8% raises (or deductions) of the first year of the contract (raises/deductions do not compound).

Technically they could but the decrease would be minimal. It would be great salary cap wise for every contract to be this way...not so much for the player.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, hazer said:

Ayton is only 23 and his 2022 DRtg was 105.2 (elite!), falling every year he’s been in the league…

Capella is 28 and his 2022 DRtg was 109.3, rising every year over the last 3 seasons.

Ayton’s DRtg should continue that falling trend, still a few years away from his peak. Capella’s will continue rising as he ages past his.

Only thing I'll note here is that DRtg is very team dependent.  Ayton's number would be significantly higher if he were a Hawk and Capela's would be significantly lower if he were a Sun because of the defensive talent of the rest of those rosters the last few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So it looks like starting out at $30m for a first year salary with 5% decreases per year would come out to around $111.3m over 4 years. I could live with that. Seems that is the only way we could include Capela as the trade piece while paying Ayton less than a max. 

• Like 1

• Admin

I am off Gobert after the locker room issues he presents (chemistry inside and out is important)

I think Ayton is talented but I think he wants to be the man but he won't be here.

Clint is young, has chemistry, plays D, rebounds and we don't have to disrupt the whole roster ...

So I am now stick with Clint.

• Like 2

If Ayton goes to BKN, and we're determined to give OO a bigger role, what are our options here? 

OO/Cap - doubt that works, no spacing
JC/OO - doubt this works either, too small

Do we try and trade for a big who can add more spacing to play with OO?

Or I guess just run it back with the 3 of them and decide later...

Edited by ShooterSays

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

I am off Gobert after the locker room issues he presents (chemistry inside and out is important)

I think Ayton is talented but I think he wants to be the man but he won't be here.

Clint is young, has chemistry, plays D, rebounds and we don't have to disrupt the whole roster ...

what locker room issues does Gobert present?

3 hours ago, shakes said:

hmm, it's almost as if they have other players in the lineup who play great defense.  Also I heard that Chris Paul guy is a pretty good leader on both sides of the ball.

Chris Paul be getting cooked on defense. He may be a leader on the team, but that doesn't change the fact that they hide him on defense. The Suns do have other good defenders, but Ayton plays his part too. He does make mistakes sometimes, but it's not like he's lost on defense. If there would be any major criticism, it should be that his motor isn't as high as Capela's. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, hazer said:

Drting is a team stat. It means little in a vaccum like that. What is Cap's d-rating relative to his teammates? Same for Ayton. That's a better use of Drting. If you look at +- and adjusted +- (RAPTOR) Cap has easily been a more impactful defender than Ayton. It's not close.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Clint is young but he has achilles issues. That's a big factor.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Chris Paul be getting cooked on defense. He may be a leader on the team, but that doesn't change the fact that they hide him on defense. The Suns do have other good defenders, but Ayton plays his part too. He does make mistakes sometimes, but it's not like he's lost on defense. If there would be any major criticism, it should be that his motor isn't as high as Capela's. 

He's not a defensive difference maker. He is fine, not bad but nothing like what we saw from Clint two years, not even remotely. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

How would Ayton advance the Hawks?

If we dealt for him, his impact is on offense.  He is much more versatile than CC and is a much better finisher around the rim so he improves us on that end in multiple dimensions.  Ayton has come along but he isn't on CC's level on defense at this stage of his career and I'd expect that he wouldn't ever get better than what we've seen from CC in Atlanta.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...