• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why aren't we Excited!!!

Diesel

39 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Can't resist taking a shot at the SF position can you?  Who is more excited about Hunter than Murray?  Name names. 

I guess not.  They have been a disappointment and someone proclaimed Hunter a current top 10 3&D player.  But yes, I take issue with the undeserved comments they got/get.  
Don’t want to derail this thread though.  I’m mainly saying DM is actually leading the league in a variety of stats, and he’s getting golf claps.  I guess he has to actually put on a Hawks jersey and win some games.  Then guys will call him an All NBA candidate.  

• Like 1

Just now, Final_quest said:

I guess not.  They have been a disappointment and someone proclaimed Hunter a current top 10 3&D player.  But yes, I take issue with the undeserved comments they got/get.  
Don’t want to derail this thread though.  I’m mainly saying DM is actually leading the league in a variety of stats, and he’s getting golf claps.  I guess he has to actually put on a Hawks jersey and win some games.  Then guys will call him an All NBA candidate.  

This is you projecting your bias into the thread. Hunter didn't even need to be brought up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

I’m mainly saying DM is actually leading the league in a variety of stats, and he’s getting golf claps.  

:er:...I don't know where you are getting this idea from at all. I mean even the 1st post of this thread says it all re Hunter.

• Thanks 2

Just now, marco102 said:

This is you projecting your bias into the thread. Hunter didn't even need to be brought up. 

Well, I basically admitted they are a sore spot, but I think it’s been earned.  
We are talking about a lack of excitement in this thread.  It’s relevant to me that unearned proclamations and excitement was given to Hunter and Cam.  We get an actual all star who leads the league in steals and now I don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm.  
The judgement is off track is my point.  

4 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Well, I basically admitted they are a sore spot, but I think it’s been earned.  
We are talking about a lack of excitement in this thread.  It’s relevant to me that unearned proclamations and excitement was given to Hunter and Cam.  We get an actual all star who leads the league in steals and now I don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm.  

But you couldn't even name who was more excited about Hunter than Murray. 

Again, this is you just projecting unnecessarily.  

The one poster who said Hunter was a top 3 and D player didn't even mention Murray.  No idea where you are getting that we are more excited about Hunter than Murray.

That still doesn't make one less excited about the Hawks in general either way if someone is more excited about Hunter than Murray.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

My new Murray jersey just arrived,

Awesome 👏 what color you get? I kept trying to push the button to purchase it but I have 2 #5 Hawk jerseys already hangin in the closet from a decade and a half ago…

image.gif.7e7de5a65be9834e5a3049a2f091950c.gif

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It’s relevant to me that unearned proclamations and excitement was given to Hunter and Cam.  We get an actual all star who leads the league in steals and now I don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm.  

Two dedicated threads to Murray and the Squawk's enthusiasm, so I think you are off base.  

SL was the focus this past week and now I think it's more the offseason doldrums settin in. I think once training camp rolls around, the excitement for the ENTIRE team will pick up.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Two dedicated threads to Murray and the Squawk's enthusiasm, so I think you are off base.  

SL was the focus this past week and now I think it's more the offseason doldrums settin in. I think once training camp rolls around, the excitement for the ENTIRE team will pick up.

It’s a general lack of chatter.  Diesel made a thread on a lack of excitement for a reason.  The main thread on DM is only 16 pages.

We had 35 pages on Kyle Korver when we signed him.  27 pages on summer league so far.  

20 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We also spent like 10 straight days once the rumors leaked that we were interested in DM checking the Squawk around the clock and pushing 20 pages a day in the rumor thread of debating his fit, the price tag, how bad we wanted it to happen, anxiously waiting for any news, posting videos on him, etc…

The excitement for Murray was definitely there. By the time it actually happened most of us had already established a position on him. That’s just kind of what it is.

The rumor thread has at least 50 pages dedicated to Murray.

Case closed!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It’s a general lack of chatter.  Diesel made a thread on a lack of excitement for a reason.  The main thread on DM is only 16 pages.

We had 35 pages on Kyle Korver when we signed him.  27 pages on summer league so far.  

To @RedDawg#8 point 'the big rumor thread' has lots of enthusiasm from June 21st when Murray was first mentioned.

How about you lead the charge on the excitement front for the Squawk.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here's my thing...

We have great PNR with both Clint and JC.

We now have somebody who can run the break. 

We now have a way to take some of the pressure off of Trae.

I believe that Trae and DJM is going to make it work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Here's my thing...

We have great PNR with both Clint and JC.

We now have somebody who can run the break. 

We now have a way to take some of the pressure off of Trae.

I believe that Trae and DJM is going to make it work.

It's something we haven't had since Teague and DS, two starter level playmakers at the point. One thing I remember about the 60 win season was DS coming in off the bench and putting so much pressure on the defense with his drive and kick game.  Bud even started to use Dennis as the closer at times or played him with Teague. 

Everyone thinks about the four allstars, but Dennis played a huge role on that team.  The starters always played with a big lead in the 4th, why?  They didn't give up their lead when Dennis subbed in.   That's part of how we finally started to win games last season.  We found a bench combo that worked.  Dejounte can do a lot of the stuff Wright did on defense, but will also keep the lead and keep putting pressure on the defense.  It's completely disruptive.  

The guys who control the ball impact your outcome.  This is a new era.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if rotation wise we continue keep Trae out there for the entire 1st quarter and bring him back in halfway through the 2nd.

With Murray we could theoretically do the same in reverse, sub him out half way through the 1st and bring him in for the entire 2nd quarter. Repeat for the 2nd half.

That allows us to start and finish every half with both of them on the court. 

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 6:00 PM, Diesel said:

I know i started the how did you go to work thread... but Hawks fans are almost depressed.  Depressed because we didn't get Gobert or Ayton...  Depressed because we didn't trade Collins...  ARE YOU KIDDING ME..

Hawks fans should be like this:

Omega Psi Phi Founders Day GIFs | Tenor

This is the level of excitement that we ought to have about this upcoming season. 

We were just a top offense in the game.   We Just picked up the Yin to Trae's Yang... Trae by himself was already historic...  We traded what will go down in History as a little for what will turn out to be our Klay... our Scottie Pippen... our D-Wade.  The league is in trouble and it don't even realize what we have in Atlanta.   We got a defender.  We got a PG who can run the fast break (excellently).  So Murray will transform defense into quick offense and when he does, Trae is off ball... nailing the corner three.... or JC is inside finishing the dunk.  or Murray is calling his own number.   And when we go into a halfcourt set... Clint is finishing the PNR. or JC is nailing the corner three.. or Trae is hitting them with the goat float or Murray is slashing.

I'm excited...  I can't wait to see us run teams off the floor. 

And here's the other part... We are edgy...

Hunter and OO need to get their stuff together. 

I'm extremely excited, but it's July.  Another 4 months to wait so don't want to peak too soon.  I also expect some growing pains because this is a big change to the way we play - and I'm not sure how Nate will manage it.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think everyone is extremely excited. I can't think of a more exciting Off-Season in the last 20 years. But, like others have said in different words, we've been sprinting a marathon for the last month plus and we're tired. I can't wait until training camp, preseason, and the regular season. Additionally, we were all SUPER excited last off-season and the team came up short of the hype, so I think some are guarded by that. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Awesome 👏 what color you get? I kept trying to push the button to purchase it but I have 2 #5 Hawk jerseys already hangin in the closet from a decade and a half ago…

image.gif.7e7de5a65be9834e5a3049a2f091950c.gif

I went with the black statement jersey.  I have that jersey already but it's got #22 on the back so I felt like this is a good replacement 🙃

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m excited but for next season but it’s tempered by so many things. Our poor effort on the defensive end last year. Poor effort can be attributed to the hangover from overachieving in the playoffs and but it also can be attributed to the culture as a whole, ownership head coach and your best player. Those things are going to hangover each of their heads until they prove otherwise. The fit of Trae and DJ is obviously a concern and until they prove it’ll work, people will be scared to fully buy in when it’s ingrained in our fan base that things don’t tend to work out for the Hawks. Third trading Heurter for cap reasons hurts and especially for the common non hardcore fan they don’t understand. In fact they probably didn’t know who DJ was before we traded for him. Forth this is not our year… we can get in the playoffs and give ourselves a fighting chance, which should get people excited but with tempered expectations, hopefully avoiding the play in but the truth is that it’s clear that there are more complete teams. Fifth reason is us hardcore fans know that the only way for us to have a real chance at becoming a championship contender is for some of our young players to level up significantly. That’s not going to happen if they don’t get an opportunity to play and grow. We all the feeling this is not going to happen.

I’m excited to see us grow this year but I expect a bit of a bumpy road especially early in the season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think we're going to be the surprise team in the NBA.  A lot of people are going to be forced to see what kind of player Trae really is.  There is a ridiculous amount of distracting side conversation around Trae that is overshadowing what he's actually doing on the court.  He dismantled the Eastern Conference with a flawed, streaky, and hobbled team playing sketchy defense...and the only way to stop him was to throw a gang of defenders at him.  What's gonna happen when the defense is forced to respect another guy on the other side of the floor?  What's gonna happen when that player is drawing double teams and Trae is spotting up?

I'm excited.  I think we're about to destroy teams.  The only thing that gives me a little pause is perimeter shooting.  We'll have to see how DM works against closeouts and how the offense looks with Trae not having the ball.  This looks scary on paper though.

• Like 4