• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Crawsover Pro Am News: TWO Hawks are supposedly playing, and one is a surprise

sturt

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

I am just glad they gotta out of there safely. Those players were playing a little dirty and was out there trying play real defense. They still need to understand they are playing against professionals who are there trying to help them with publicity. Don’t want to be they guy that hurts an nba player. 

Took some headwind earlier today as-if my concerns were misplaced.

I defy anyone to say this is what you want to see happen in the off-season with your All-NBA franchise player. You're nuts if you're that desperate to see a few new highlights. The reward is practically zero, while the risk is a number much higher than zero.

Not smart. Just. Not. Smart.

"Well the team didn't tell them they couldn't."

Teams shouldn't have to tell their players to be smart... that should come fairly naturally.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

They have to stay in basketball shape, the best way to stay in basketball shape is to play basketball. 

My friend, that's not only patently not true, but I know you know it's patently not true.

If it were, those of us who played the game would have every right to be really really pizzed at our coaches who didn't just have us play basketball every practice.

(We ran. And ran. And ran. And then we did suicides. And then someone had to hit 10 FTs in a row, or... we did it all over again. Must have been doing something right... we won state, and otherwise went deep in state playoffs every year.)

2022-07-31_20-45-44.png

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

If the King of taking care of his body (LeBron James) is participating in offseason runs like this, then our guys doing it is no problem. 

You don't have to like it, they are hoopers who have hooped every free moment that they have had their entire lives. Pro am or closed gym with other NBA players, they are going to get off season runs in either way. 

1. If what that kid tried to do to Trae is your idea of Trae "taking care of his body," I think you're just kidding yourself, I really do.

2. LBJ makes all the smart decisions? New one on me.

3. LBJ has already earned what Trae wants to earn... if he gets tangled up and strips out his ACL, oh well... not like he's got something left to prove, is there.

4. We agree. I don't have to like it. It's not smart. I will continue to defy anyone to prove it is. It's not.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

1. If what that kid tried to do to Trae is your idea of Trae "taking care of his body," I think you're just kidding yourself, I really do.

3. LBJ has already earned what Trae wants to earn... if he gets tangled up and strips out his ACL, oh well... not like he's got something left to prove, is there.

4. We agree. I don't have to like it. It's not smart. I will continue to defy anyone to prove it is. It's not.

Your concern is not misplaced. However, this happens all the time with every team since the beginning of basketball. The only difference is we can now see it with all the new technology. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Your concern is not misplaced. However, this happens all the time with every team since the beginning of basketball. The only difference is we can now see it with all the new technology. 

No, I don't think that's true. These pro-am events are a fairly new phenomenon.

To put a finer pencil point on my point... I'm not suggesting that players never play basketball in the off-season. I'm suggesting specifically these events present a chance for Joe HighSchoolStar to try to prove in front of a crowd what he coulda done. That kid who tried to take a charge from Trae? He just made himself a memory for life that he'll brag about in his nursing home... couldn't care less about how it could have impacted the All-NBA player.

The private games are, indeed, something that have always happened, and there's a more mitigated risk. Not at all the same level of concern.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, sturt said:

No, I don't think that's true. These pro-am events are a fairly new phenomenon.

To put a finer pencil point on my point... I'm not suggesting that players never play basketball in the off-season. I'm suggesting specifically these events present a chance for Joe HighSchoolStar to try to prove in front of a crowd what he coulda done.

The private games are, indeed, something that have always happened, and there's a more mitigated risk.

True. I noticed our guys played the whole game too. Without coaches and the team managing things guys can do too much. This was a good run for them though.  Murray is going to be a better fit than I thought. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, MarylandHawk said:

True. I noticed our guys played the whole game too. Without coaches and the team managing things guys can do too much. This was a good run for them though.  Murray is going to be a better fit than I thought. 

Oh, don't get me wrong... it is fun to watch. Of course it is.

Now, don't know that we can take very much from it, since the opposition effectively pose the same competition as that of the Washington Generals to the Harlem Globetrotters.

But I do like that our theoretical big 3 are getting some bonding time ahead of training camp.

Mark my words, though... the day is coming when some NBA player participates in one of these games, and it has implications to some team's season... and just hope it's not us.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

To put a finer pencil point on my point... I'm not suggesting that players never play basketball in the off-season. I'm suggesting specifically these events present a chance for Joe HighSchoolStar to try to prove in front of a crowd what he coulda done. That kid who tried to take a charge from Trae? He just made himself a memory for life that he'll brag about in his nursing home... couldn't care less about how it could have impacted the All-NBA player.

The private games are, indeed, something that have always happened, and there's a more mitigated risk. Not at all the same level of concern.

ICYMI.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, sturt said:

ICYMI.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

Took some headwind earlier today as-if my concerns were misplaced.

I defy anyone to say this is what you want to see happen in the off-season with your All-NBA franchise player. You're nuts if you're that desperate to see a few new highlights. The reward is practically zero, while the risk is a number much higher than zero.

Not smart. Just. Not. Smart.

"Well the team didn't tell them they couldn't."

Teams shouldn't have to tell their players to be smart... that should come fairly naturally.

ICYMI.

Joe HighSchoolStar is still taking charges from NBA players in the UCLA gym and gyms across America.  Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Joe HighSchoolStar also isn't only finding motivation for a game against NBA players just because the bleachers are little fuller than usual. 

Basketball is a contact sport.  For one to engage in basketball there likely will be contact.  Wincing at a routine play just because it "doesn't count" doesn't change that the play is routine.

Teams shouldn't have to tell their players to be smart, they should just continue to advertise and promote their supposed not smart decisions.

Did I miss anything else?

Edited by MaceCase
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1