• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Crawsover Pro Am News: TWO Hawks are supposedly playing, and one is a surprise

sturt

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, sturt said:

Not a big fan of these things... hasn't happened yet as far as I know, but eventually Murphy would seem likely to intervene, and someone who gets paid big NBA bucks is going to go down with a significant injury. I don't get the incentive to say "yes."

Seems like these guys are playing in these 'runs' all summer long to stay in 'basketball shape.' Some are just bigger brands than others and being publicized more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

I would question whether there aren't less hazardous ways of staying in basketball shape, though.

It's pretty much like the smaller Division 2 college football teams that get invited to Alabama every year to get destroyed and collect a check. The NBA guys come in and play a few games, bring in more casual fans who may come back for more games later. The regular guys in the league get a little boost in pay and everyone is happy. Nobody wants to be the Dahntay Jones of Pro-AM basketball, the guy who makes NBA stars stop coming to the league. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

It's pretty much like the smaller Division 2 college football teams that get invited to Alabama every year to get destroyed and collect a check. The NBA guys come in and play a few games, bring in more casual fans who may come back for more games later. The regular guys in the league get a little boost in pay and everyone is happy. Nobody wants to be the Dahntay Jones of Pro-AM basketball, the guy who makes NBA stars stop coming to the league. 

I can agree with all of that, and still say what I said.

In fact, I would argue that there are not only less hazardous, but more productive ways of staying in basketball shape.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, sturt said:

In fact, I would argue that there are not only less hazardous, but more productive ways of staying in basketball shape.

I think most these guys are also doing the training part of the offseason that the team has assigned and want them working on as we've seen from the Hunter 'drills' video or the Bogi rehab/training video.

What do you propose for some real life basketball game action on a small scale for the next two months for the players? They need to get up and down the court in game action.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Every pro player worth their salt is playing in pick up games during the offseason, whether it is publicized or not.

They are all at gyms at their homes or around the cities they live in getting up and down the court in runs.

Also, it is my belief that there is language in any pro athlete’s contract that they must obtain team approval to participate in these things. 

I do not deny the risks involved, and I pray nothing happens to anyone. Hoopers are going to hoop though, on or off camera. In the news or not.

Again. Again.

All of that is true.

And at the same time, what I've said is also true.

The more that these guys participate in riskier and unnecessary conditioning exercises, the more likely it is logically that at some point someone gets hurt unnecessarily and with implications to their team's season. It's one thing to play in the Olympics or in some European tournament... it's worse when the prize they're playing for isn't even anything that anyone cares about.

I don't believe anyone is wrong to say out loud what I've said... or are they? I keep getting push back.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What do you propose for some real life basketball game action on a small scale for the next two months for the players? They need to get up and down the court in game action.

Do they, though?

Off-season, I propose, conditioning is all that needs to happen, and certainly some solo work with personal coaches like we've seen--handles, shooting, etc.

Self-evidently, neither of those require game action.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sturt said:

They're playing regardless. Playing in a real game setting with refs and rules is better than calling your own fouls at lifetime.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, BangHolman said:

They're playing regardless.

I think that point has been made about 3x now.

And the point in response remains, the less they do of that, the smarter it is. It's something to be tolerated, but not really admired, if you have a favorite team whose best players are participating.

3 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Playing in a real game setting with refs and rules is better than calling your own fouls at lifetime.

Is it though?

Might be better for those watching. But it's not like you're going to see anyone comment during the season, "Sure was good that Trae got some time in some games with real referees. I think we're seeing a better player as a result of that."

Right?

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

image.gif.c11a99edfeb4c4246d79517595ab5dd5.gif

Did someone photoshop Ben Simmon's head on this guy? Or does this person just look like him?

1 hour ago, Jdawgflow said:

Is that Ben Simmons?

Ha! Didn't see your comment before I replied. Bro -- wavelengths. 

• Haha 3