• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Drew League 2022...Plus Other Summer ProAm Leagues & Smack Talk

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The haters getting real quiet

I mean yeah but...

Spoiler

In game or it didn't happen.  Spud posted a similar video last year (here). *edit, I don't think that's the video.  I'll try to find it.  OO's mechanics look decent, but the release is a little slow.  Can he get that off at the speed of the NBA game against a sizeable and decent defender?  I need to see it happening before I get all excited - which is really all I'm saying. 

Everyone that criticizes a player isn't a hater or a casual and just because you aren't impressed with a player, it doesn't mean you're ONLY looking at his numbers.  I'm not impressed with Bradley Beal and he puts up ridiculous numbers.  I wasn't impressed with Horford and he was a decent player.

Spoiler

I'm totally messing with you on Horf, but I wanted you to spit out your juice and slam your palms on the table as you reached for your microphone and queued up a vocal response. lol I liked prime Horf as a 3rd option to a big 3.

I don't need to see OO out here dropping 15ppg game and raining 3s.  I just need to see some versatility in his offensive before I start gushing over him.  I'm not saying he's a bust...I don't think anyone has even alluded to it.  Quite the opposite actually.  I think we all agree that his floor is very solid.  I'm also not saying he won't become a great player.  I'm really not even saying that in the long run we WON'T be satisfied with the pick.  I'm saying that for the asset that was spent on him, I'm not excited and would rather us have traded up, down, or out.  On that...again, I don't know what Schlenk saw or what was offered/worked so I concede there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Man there's a lotta trash, biased opinions on the site lately.

So many are in love with the idea that guys are suddenly be break out stars.  Almost every year people fantasize about this.  

My two rules.

Rule #1: You are most likely to play the level you did the year before.

Rule #2: Guys who break out have an increase in minutes or bigger role. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

So many are in love with the idea that guys are suddenly be break out stars.  Almost every year people fantasize about this.  

My two rules.

Rule #1: You are most likely to play the level you did the year before.

This is all fair.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, AHF said:

Trae is a pretty extreme outlier (in a good way).  Looking at the 2011-2020 drafts, here are the #s of All-Stars drafted 4-7

2020 - 0

2019 - 1 (1x)

2018 - 1 (2x)

2017 - 0

2016 - 0

2015 - 1 (1x)

2014 - 1 (1x)

2013 - 0

2012 - 1 (6x)

2011 - 0

So looking at that 10 year window, you have 5 of 40 players who made an All-Star team for a rate of 12.5% and 2 of the 40 players who have made more than one All-Star team for a rate of 5%.

I suspect if you stack those 40 players by PER, WS/48 or other per minute metrics that OO ranks comfortably in the top 25%.

Wow. Another reason no one should question Trae’s generational talent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AHF said:

Trae is a pretty extreme outlier (in a good way).  Looking at the 2011-2020 drafts, here are the #s of All-Stars drafted 4-7

2020 - 0

2019 - 1 (1x)

2018 - 1 (2x)

2017 - 0

2016 - 0

2015 - 1 (1x)

2014 - 1 (1x)

2013 - 0

2012 - 1 (6x)

2011 - 0

So looking at that 10 year window, you have 5 of 40 players who made an All-Star team for a rate of 12.5% and 2 of the 40 players who have made more than one All-Star team for a rate of 5%.

I suspect if you stack those 40 players by PER, WS/48 or other per minute metrics that OO ranks comfortably in the top 25%.

Missed the conversation today because of work, but this is what I'm alluding to.  Using the #6 pick only was just to get a quick sample, but it's in line with even taking the 4-7 as AHF did here.  OO has already shown he can be elite on defense (and imo has a bunch of intangibles/instincts you cannot train) and his offensive game is not bad for a center, which is the position he has been playing for us.  He has unbelievable touch around the rim and looks to be improving other aspects of his offense. 

It's pretty rare for bigs to come into the league polished, regardless of injury history or Covid, and I think the difference between the two camps on this forum is that some people want OO to prove out before they get excited about him and some people are just excited about him now as a player with high upside.  It's weird to me how much people want to curb others' excitement around Hawks players on a Hawks forum.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Well this should apply with OO for sure. Truth be told he needs to push Capela to be expendable for us so we can flip Clint later.

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Well this should apply with OO for sure. Truth be told he needs to push Capela to be expendable for us so we can flip Clint later.

How do you see Okongwu with a bigger role next year?  Closing out games instead of Capela?  If there is any truth to him getting minutes at PF, I could see a 3 man rotation with Capela, JC, and OO.  He is basically playing starter minutes at that point.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, JeffS17 said:

I think the difference between the two camps on this forum is that some people want OO to prove out before they get excited about him and some people are just excited about him now as a player with high upside.  It's weird to me how much people want to curb others' excitement around Hawks players on a Hawks forum.

I don't think is true! Most are excited about OO and his projected potential and his hoping he will be able to take that next step.  The 'pushback' as I remember was that he can be our starting PF for this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Closing out games instead of Capela?  If there is any truth to him getting minutes at PF,

I think he could be a closer sooner than later depending on his ft shooting. I think he’ll still get most minutes at C but I could see some at the PF position as well, we have a versatile lineup where guys can be shifted around a bit.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Final_quest said:

How do you see Okongwu with a bigger role next year?  Closing out games instead of Capela?  If there is any truth to him getting minutes at PF, I could see a 3 man rotation with Capela, JC, and OO.  He is basically playing starter minutes at that point.  

If this jumper proves to be anything real. He should be able to play PF next to Cap for minutes too. Even if his release is slow, knocking down open shots will spread the defense by forcing his man to guard him. That would make for an elite defensive frontcourt. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think is true! Most are excited about OO and his projected potential and his hoping he will be able to take that next step.  The 'pushback' as I remember was that he can be our starting PF for this season. 

Fair, I was mostly referring to @Wretch's comment that "There are expectations that come with that #6 pick that was spent on him."  OO has outperformed your typical 4-8 lottery picks already imo, particularly when judging against other bigs taken in that range.  I think he has a ton of upside.  I don't think anyone here is actually an OO hater for the record, but I do have some people saved on other forums lol... I'm just a big OO stan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Fair, I was mostly referring to @Wretch's comment that "There are expectations that come with that #6 pick that was spent on him."  OO has outperformed your typical 4-8 lottery picks already imo, particularly when judging against other bigs taken in that range.  I think he has a ton of upside.  I don't think anyone here is actually an OO hater for the record, but I do have some people saved on other forums lol... I'm just a big OO stan

@Wretch is in a league of his own, lol.  But I will say, when you tank to pick high you want these guys to be extra special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Ol' jeffy keepin' receipts like an old lady convinced the grocery store overcharged her for green beans last week.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Ol' jeffy keepin' receipts like an old lady convinced the grocery store overcharged her for green beans last week.

Stop 🛑 trying to win the squawk post of the day it’s too early give everyone else a chance dang! :angry2:

Speaking of green beans I got a great recipe for y’all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, kg01 said:

If the grocery workers put the canned green bean price per pound sticker in the fresh green bean section, you gotta keep them honest!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, JeffS17 said:

If the grocery workers put the canned green bean price per pound sticker in the fresh green bean section, you gotta keep them honest!

Go organic, fresh farm to table..a purée of.. :er:

(sound NSFW)…

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/1659291d-56db-4a94-b57a-c2bb93a3bcd6

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I used to keep receipts here when I was new and didn't know everyone then realized how futile that effort is.  I think I still have a google doc with 3 pages of negativity (mostly terrell lol)

• Haha 4