• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Drew League 2022...Plus Other Summer ProAm Leagues & Smack Talk

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
On 8/20/2022 at 9:41 PM, Spud2nique said:

Beef 🥩 squashed NOT

If Murray can establish a reputation as a dog defender similar to Marcus Smart that allows him to get away with hand checking and physical perimeter defense I will be ecstatic.  

• Like 4

On 8/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, JeffS17 said:

If Murray can establish a reputation as a dog defender similar to Marcus Smart that allows him to get away with hand checking and physical perimeter defense I will be ecstatic.  

He lead the league in steals and deflections last year. He just needs to keep up what he has been doing. The media/masses love who they love, and the Celtics can do no wrong in their eyes. 

• Premium Member
On 8/20/2022 at 8:41 PM, MarylandHawk said:

I bet @Sturt somewhere having a conniption fit. Bron, Murray, Tatum, Paolo, Chet, Gordon, and IT all playing in the Crawsover pro am. 

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Silly sturt.

• Like 1

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, sturt said:

Silly sturt.

Also NBA players should be banned from their home.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/05/wizards-john-wall-ruptures-achilles-slipping-falling-his-home/2778752002/

And from riding bikes near their home:

https://www.nba.com/news/ex-nba-center-shawn-bradley-paralyzed-in-cycling-accident

And from sneezing:

https://cubbiescrib.com/2020/04/27/chicago-cubs-sammy-sosa-sneeze-injuries/amp/2/

(ie injuries happen in every forum.  You need an actual data set to compare the history on injury rate to draw a distinction between playing at the local playground which has been part of NBA culture forever and playing in a televised pro am.  This one had serious issues but probably not much worse than playing in the rain on your local blacktop which happened historically.)

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Also NBA players should be banned from their home.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/02/05/wizards-john-wall-ruptures-achilles-slipping-falling-his-home/2778752002/

And from riding bikes near their home:

https://www.nba.com/news/ex-nba-center-shawn-bradley-paralyzed-in-cycling-accident

And from sneezing:

https://cubbiescrib.com/2020/04/27/chicago-cubs-sammy-sosa-sneeze-injuries/amp/2/

(ie injuries happen in every forum.  You need an actual data set to compare the history on injury rate to draw a distinction between playing at the local playground which has been part of NBA culture forever and playing in a televised pro am.  This one had serious issues but probably not much worse than playing in the rain on your local blacktop which happened historically.)

My friend, your defense attorney essay is misplaced... it was not my intention to restart that deliberation... rather, only to note the irony that someone would call me out a few days ago (just discovered today), and to have the highest profile rookie, of all people, go down.

Now that's funny.

Not for Holmgren, of course. But you have to love it when people come at you, and you don't even know it, but when you discover it, their mockery has boomeranged on them, if only for the moment. (Well... you don't, of course. But "you" as-in universal you.)

But if we were going to restart the deliberation, I'd be fair enough to point out that this wasn't the scenario that I suggested is scary. Holmgren wasn't injured as a consequence of an over-exuberant wanna-be. Holmgren was going up against LeBron.

• Like 4

• Moderators
9 hours ago, sturt said:

My friend, your defense attorney essay is misplaced... it was not my intention to restart that deliberation... rather, only to note the irony that someone would call me out a few days ago (just discovered today), and to have the highest profile rookie, of all people, go down.

Now that's funny.

Not for Holmgren, of course. But you have to love it when people come at you, and you don't even know it, but when you discover it, their mockery has boomeranged on them, if only for the moment. (Well... you don't, of course. But "you" as-in universal you.)

But if we were going to restart the deliberation, I'd be fair enough to point out that this wasn't the scenario that I suggested is scary. Holmgren wasn't injured as a consequence of an over-exuberant wanna-be. Holmgren was going up against LeBron.

All fair.  Apologies for clearly jumping the gun on that!  The converse of my post is just as applicable.  Limited injuries in Pro Am events wouldn't give you the comparative data set so calling you out as being wrong would be equally unsubstantiated.  Didn't see that post but assuming someone called you out I'm not sure on what grounds they would do that.  (My view as we discussed is that we just don't know and don't have the information to make an informed comparison.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, sturt said:

Silly sturt.

When I heard the news about Chet, you're the first person I thought about.

It was a freak injury, but that type of injury to a significant player, was bound to happen sooner or later.  I don't think it still not enough to prohibit guys from playing in these pro-ams.  But whenever you play any type of sport anywhere, the chance for injury is there.  

I like Chet.  I hope he comes back stronger than ever next season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, sturt said:

Now that's funny.

Sturt, in my defense i wasn’t coming at you I was merely highlighting your concern because it was clear that the last Crawsover event was worst possible scenario for players playing in something like that. And it nearly was a disaster if it wasn't called off.  While I understand your point of view completely, it is always going be around.   All that high profile money, overcrowded space (fire hazard). Over zealous fans, poor venue, etc. I was still there watching and enjoying. Lol. Glad Murray got out if there safely. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, MarylandHawk said:

Sturt, in my defense i wasn’t coming at you I was merely highlighting your concern because it was clear that the last Crawsover event was worst possible scenario for players playing in something like that. And it nearly was a disaster if it wasn't called off.  While I understand your point of view completely, it is always going be around.   All that high profile money, overcrowded space (fire hazard). Over zealous fans, poor venue, etc. I was still there watching and enjoying. Lol. Glad Murray got out if there safely. 

As sturt noted his aversion to the Pro-Am was more so 'a nobody intentionally injury an NBA player' who showed them up.

LBJ stepped on his foot - so circumstances of his injury does not qualify.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

intentionally

Absolutely that, but even more likely and broadly... just to be clear... someone just honestly trying to make a memory for him/herself, and moreover for their friends and family watching, and moreover for everyone else who knows their name from X high school or university... and who got a little too enthusiastic. The perfect example being the kid who tried to take a charge vs. Trae in the vid I'd cited.... and if we trade-out Trae for DJM, and if we trade out that kid for the one that DJM showed up by pumping the ball on his head... it's all the more easy to imagine some added degree of "intent." It's the strange brew of elite basketball players with wannabees, with the critical added ingredient of mass audiences now watching.

Just to be clear... not to re-deliberate. And with that, I'm outta this thread.