• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bally Sports Plus - You Can Now Watch the Hawks Without Cable.

marco102

20 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

In other news . . . Disney just pulled ALL of their channels off of Spectrum cable.  That includes all Disney Channels, all FX channels, Nat Geo . . and of course ALL ESPN channels.

Needless to say, I am HOT right now.  They better fix this isht by the weekend, or they're about to lose a subscriber.

Pay that price Spectrum.  And don't you DARE try to jack up my cable bill because of it.  Already paying 2 arms and a pinky toe for the cable / internet / cellphone bundle.

They must have hit the wrong button AT FIRST because as soon as the game came on, I temporarily lost the stream. It came back up and it was good. lmao

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Of the 15 teams with Bally’s contracts — the Pelicans, Pistons, Magic, Timberwolves, Cavaliers, Thunder, Clippers, Hawks, Hornets, Pacers, Grizzlies, Mavericks, Spurs, Heat and Bucks — most are not scheduled to receive payments until Oct. 1 or Nov. 1. According to sources, the NBA has assured teams that, in the event of any non-payments from Diamonds, all games will be streamed through the NBA App. However, teams will have to swiftly find an over-the-air partner to broadcast games on linear TV, something the Jazz and Suns have already accomplished.

The Pelicans received their scheduled rights fee payment from Diamond Sports Group on Sept. 1, SBJ has learned, paving the way for the team’s 2023-24 games to be televised by Bally Sports New Orleans. “We are planning to have Bally’s Sports broadcast our Pelicans games this season,’’ Pelicans SVP/Communications, Broadcasting and Government Affairs Greg Bensel confirmed in an email today.

• Like 2

• Moderators

If they paid the Pelicans then i think they'll pay the Hawks. I'm ready for this to improve.  The whole streaming situation is out of control.  I'm paying $100 bucks essentially just to watch braves/hawks.  Some one has to come up with a true a'la carte offering.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

I predicted when everyone started cord cutting that it would lead to too many apps and you would spend way more just to watch the same things you used to watch on cable.

I was 100% correct.

I have NBA league pass so if the NBA decides to stream all hawks games on there I just  hope there's no damn blackout condition. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

I predicted when everyone started cord cutting that it would lead to too many apps and you would spend way more just to watch the same things you used to watch on cable.

I was 100% correct.

It was an obvious outcome too.  No idea why so many didn't see this coming.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kg01 said:

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. 
Things folks watched got chopped up into a million different streaming options they it’s stupid how much you have to pay or go without. 

I get league pass, & thankfully I’m out of the Atlanta blackout area, but I still miss so many games bc I don’t pay for NBA TV, or TNT, or ESPN, and Memphis, Cleveland, and Indianapolis games are all blacked out. 

Don’t even get me started on trying to watch soccer, even just Premier League teams. 

It’s death by a thousand cuts. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, and now you have aggregators like Roku, Apple TV, etc. where you can manage all your subscriptions lol...

But I still think we're in a bit of a better place, with extra flexibility for the consumer.  I do not watch any sports other than the Hawks, and I don't watch cable TV at all, really.  But I still have Youtube TV (split 3 ways with friends), and it was nice I could just pay for the Bally App to watch Hawks games last season.  So that's ~$75/3 for Youtube TV and $20/month for Bally.  So I'm getting 99% of what I need for $45/month.  Cable is 3-4x as expensive.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So far, NBA team execs have been heartened that the bankrupt Diamond Sports has paid the two teams scheduled to receive rights payments on Sept. 1: the Bucks and Pelicans. Diamond owes the Pelicans installments of roughly $3 million on the first of every month, while the Bucks are scheduled to receive installments of approximately $13 million apiece three times a year.

• Moderators
On 9/22/2023 at 10:06 PM, Sothron said:

I was 100% correct.

I have NBA league pass so if the NBA decides to stream all hawks games on there I just  hope there's no damn blackout condition. 

This isn't true.  I bet 90% of the shows people watch aren't on cable at all.  Netflix, Amazon, Apple, some Hulu, produce shows that were never and still aren't on cable.  The cord cutting was because people were paying for all this Plus cable.  They decided they needed cable less.  The only thing propping up cable right now is regional sports so it would totally collapse except seems like they've finally figured out they have to improve.  'Cable' is basically morphing into a Roku or Apple TV box now.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

This isn't true.  I bet 90% of the shows people watch aren't on cable at all.  Netflix, Amazon, Apple, some Hulu, produce shows that were never and still aren't on cable.  The cord cutting was because people were paying for all this Plus cable.  They decided they needed cable less.  The only thing propping up cable right now is regional sports so it would totally collapse except seems like they've finally figured out they have to improve.  'Cable' is basically morphing into a Roku or Apple TV box now.  

Your numbers are way, way off. The main issue with cable networks has historically been charging for sports coverage, particularly ESPN, and if you are not a sports person then it has literally no interest for you as a consumer or viewer.

Cable companies were too greedy for too long and paid the price for it. Sadly, as a consumer, it has made things worse for us because instead of watching just one outlet for 99% of your viewing experience you now have a multitude of specialized apps to try and watch content with. Add in FOMO which seems to affect those younger than Gen X more strongly and you get a disaster for the consumer.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Your numbers are way, way off. The main issue with cable networks has historically been charging for sports coverage, particularly ESPN, and if you are not a sports person then it has literally no interest for you as a consumer or viewer.

Cable companies were too greedy for too long and paid the price for it. Sadly, as a consumer, it has made things worse for us because instead of watching just one outlet for 99% of your viewing experience you now have a multitude of specialized apps to try and watch content with. Add in FOMO which seems to affect those younger than Gen X more strongly and you get a disaster for the consumer.

Maybe we're saying the same thing in a different way but I literally don't watch a single show that would appear on a cable subscription other than sports.  I think that's true of most people.  That's what led to cord cutting.  It wasn't about trying to get the same content for cheap.  I was that the content on cable was 100s of channels with crappy programming for $150/month.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Maybe we're saying the same thing in a different way but I literally don't watch a single show that would appear on a cable subscription other than sports.  I think that's true of most people.  That's what led to cord cutting.  It wasn't about trying to get the same content for cheap.  I was that the content on cable was 100s of channels with crappy programming for $150/month.  

This was the case for me.  Especially as my kids got older and stopped watching syndicated programming.  Literally the only thing that I watch on broadcast TV is Hawks Basketball and pro wrestling.  My wife watches one show that is now streaming on HBO Max because of the Discovery merger, but otherwise she's watching gardening/homesteading videos on YouTube.

I have no use for the ridiculous number of channels on Cable.  It's a sh!tty business model where these companies use "bundles" to force us into forking over money and streaming TV providers are now doing the same.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...