• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bally Sports Plus - You Can Now Watch the Hawks Without Cable.

marco102

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
16 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If Lauren is there i'm happy.  

Treavor and BO aren't my favorites but they do a good job.  Oliver is an GT legend though so i'm good with it.    Would love to see an ex Hawk there though.  What's Ty Corbin up to these days?

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Not sure if you guys have brought it up elsewhere, but I swallowed my pride and decided to at least demo the Bally Sports app.  I hate that it works and is more convenient than VPN...because I wanted it to fail and I want them to go back to the table with the streaming providers (esp. YTTV). 

Has some minor annoyances, but it's acceptable.  Mostly the website and app are a little wonky.  For the website, the controls don't disappear so there's always the little gear in the corner.  Also, the two-tone overlay for the menu doesn't completely go away sometimes, so there's a couple of dark stripes in the corner.  For the app, the only issue I have is that the casting icon seems to pop up when it wants to.  I have to refresh my phone (or laptop) stream a few times and it'll eventually show up.  Casting also seems to drop frames.  It's not really noticeable unless your a TV enthusiast like me.  I can't stand it, so I pull up my PC on the big screen and stream it from the web - which has no frame-drop issues.  Might also be a quality setting, so I'm gonna test it out in a bit.

Anyone else using the Bally Sports app?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, macdaddy said:

If Lauren is there i'm happy.  

Treavor and BO aren't my favorites but they do a good job.  Oliver is an GT legend though so i'm good with it.    Would love to see an ex Hawk there though.  What's Ty Corbin up to these days?

They do a good job.  Mostly I just tune out and find something to do during the breaks.  I like Brian Oliver, but listening to Treavor is like...trying to carry drinks across the dance floor.  He's got way too much "hype man" energy.  I need analysis and takeaways...and my man is out here trying to get the party started. lol Then Brian starts matching his energy and I'm done.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Wretch said:

Not sure if you guys have brought it up elsewhere, but I swallowed my pride and decided to at least demo the Bally Sports app.  I hate that it works and is more convenient than VPN...because I wanted it to fail and I want them to go back to the table with the streaming providers (esp. YTTV). 

Has some minor annoyances, but it's acceptable.  Mostly the website and app are a little wonky.  For the website, the controls don't disappear so there's always the little gear in the corner.  Also, the two-tone overlay for the menu doesn't completely go away sometimes, so there's a couple of dark stripes in the corner.  For the app, the only issue I have is that the casting icon seems to pop up when it wants to.  I have to refresh my phone (or laptop) stream a few times and it'll eventually show up.  Casting also seems to drop frames.  It's not really noticeable unless your a TV enthusiast like me.  I can't stand it, so I pull up my PC on the big screen and stream it from the web - which has no frame-drop issues.  Might also be a quality setting, so I'm gonna test it out in a bit.

Anyone else using the Bally Sports app?

So i used it briefly and then cancelled.  I agree though that it worked well enough and i had it on Roku.  The $20 is just a rip though so I agree i want them to fail.   

This is long and boring but here was my thought process.  I currently have Directv stream in order to get Hawks/Braves as well as other channels like TNT, ESPN and the networks.  I pay $100 bucks a month for it which is a joke and i'd like to get rid of it.  For that $100 it includes HBO Max. 

So i thought I'll cancel it and get Bally+ for $20 but i'd still like those other channels so i could go back to YoutubeTV which is so much better anyway.   

So now YTTV $65 +Bally+ $20 = $85 .... well that's better than $100 i guess

But wait i want HBO Max too which i can get for $15

So i'm right back at $100 for YTTV+Bally+HBO.   So i just stuck with Directv Stream.

But at that price I'm going to have to bail on it soon and just not watch as much tv which is a good thing too. 

If Bally was $8 they would have so much viewership.   $20?  They still show the commercials for crying out loud.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I wish there was a way you could watch the Hawks without Bally Sports.

Easily the worst of ANY sports network out there today.   SO insecure it's pathetic.   So insecure they compensate by having the largest most obnoxious sports ticker known to man.  Looks like the ticker from the side of a building in Times Square.   F-ing hate Ballys and their stupid small market ticker.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, shakes said:

Easily the worst of ANY sports network out there today.   SO insecure it's pathetic.   So insecure they compensate by having the largest most obnoxious sports ticker known to man.  Looks like the ticker from the side of a building in Times Square.   F-ing hate Ballys and their stupid small market ticker.

I think it's inevitable that the leagues take over themselves rather than selling the broadcast rights but that maybe years away. 

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

So i used it briefly and then cancelled.  I agree though that it worked well enough and i had it on Roku.  The $20 is just a rip though so I agree i want them to fail.   

This is long and boring but here was my thought process.  I currently have Directv stream in order to get Hawks/Braves as well as other channels like TNT, ESPN and the networks.  I pay $100 bucks a month for it which is a joke and i'd like to get rid of it.  For that $100 it includes HBO Max. 

So i thought I'll cancel it and get Bally+ for $20 but i'd still like those other channels so i could go back to YoutubeTV which is so much better anyway.   

So now YTTV $65 +Bally+ $20 = $85 .... well that's better than $100 i guess

But wait i want HBO Max too which i can get for $15

So i'm right back at $100 for YTTV+Bally+HBO.   So i just stuck with Directv Stream.

But at that price I'm going to have to bail on it soon and just not watch as much tv which is a good thing too. 

If Bally was $8 they would have so much viewership.   $20?  They still show the commercials for crying out loud.

Which Internet service provider do you have?  I have AT&T fiber - and I hate them almost as much as Sinclair - and HBO Max is free for me.  Don't know why I'm recommending them though.  I'd drop AT&T if anything else were available here.  Their customer service is abysmal and they screwed me over on my bill when I switched to YTTV.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shakes said:

There is good Sir.....

Buy NBA League Pass (monthly 19.99) and get a VPN (Surfshark preferably); Most Streaming devices have VPN apps available that works (Surfshark does).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, GameTime said:

There is good Sir.....

Buy NBA League Pass (monthly 19.99) and get a VPN (Surfshark preferably); Most Streaming devices have VPN apps available that works (Surfshark does).

I don't know what half those words and letters mean.

I have league pass through DirecTV.

What we really need is for TV's to have a way where you can disable teh sports ticker.

• Moderators
16 hours ago, GameTime said:

There is good Sir.....

What device are you using?  I know FireTV is easy to use a vpn with.  I think Roku takes more of an effort. 

I prefer the controls on some of the other apps, but $20/month is what I will pay to know that I have access to all of these games recorded.  Watching on demand is letting me save so much time.  I don't want to watch other games on League Pass.  I waste too much time on the Hawks as it is.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...