• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you do the Joe Johnson Trade Again? (This is a Series)....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let's play hindsight 20/20...

This picture....

Remembering when Hawks defined dysfunction with a rejected ...

was the symbol of the Hawks Ownership breaking up because of the Joe Johnson Trade...

Notice, Knights Hand firmly around his phone.  His Satchell filled with important things like Bottles of Gatorade and DingDongs.

Notice the guy over there in the NFL Hall of Fame Jacket wishing that he had Gatorades and DingDongs.

Notice Evil Belkin's outstretched hand that has no sincerity... 

And Knight pondering... Should I shake it or slap it away?

It's years later...  This is the Day of... Revisited?

We traded Boris Diaw, Rondo, and Robin Lopez for Joe Johnson. 

My question...

You're the GM... Would you make that trade with the advantage of Hindsight?

IF so... Why?

IF not... Why Not?

That trade could have been so disastrous if we landed the 4th overall pick in 2007

After the fact, it was a good trade. Could have been an elite one if we landed Iso Joe and drafted CP3 or Deron instead of Marvin 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

That trade could have been so disastrous if we landed the 4th overall pick in 2007

After the fact, it was a good trade. Could have been an elite one if we landed Iso Joe and drafted CP3 or Deron instead of Marvin 

You bring back vivid bad memories about us not taking Paul or Williams. Sigh. It was a soft ball and he struck out. Joe Johnson trade was the best trade in Hawks history for an existing nba player til now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Not to get all Back to the Future about this, but IF we had drafted CP3 or Williams like we should have, we would have likely been too good and would have missed out on keeping that top 3 protected pick in 2007. Which means no Horford.

Our ineptitude in the 05 & 06 draft is what helped us to eventually land the 2nd best player of that Hawks era.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Not to get all Back to the Future about this, but IF we had drafted CP3 or Williams like we should have, we would have likely been too good and would have missed out on keeping that top 3 protected pick in 2007. Which means no Horford.

Our ineptitude in the 05 & 06 draft is what helped us to eventually land the 2nd best player of that Hawks era.

But can you imagine how good a Joe in his prime and a young CP3 would have been??

Yeah, we would have been really good.  CP3 would have made Smoove a star because he wouldn't have put up with the mess.  We would have definitely been in the championship talk....

Instead of Salim Stoudamier, we could have picked up somebody like Ronny Turiaf and the next year still picked up Solomon Jones. 

CP3 and Joe would not have needed much. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I'll rather CP3 or Deron before he sloppy over anyone we could have picked including Al and I love Al but I felt CP3 and Deron were sure fire HOFers and obviously CP3 is but I liked both back then

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

But can you imagine how good a Joe in his prime and a young CP3 would have been??

Yeah, we would have been really good.  CP3 would have made Smoove a star because he wouldn't have put up with the mess.  We would have definitely been in the championship talk....

Instead of Salim Stoudamier, we could have picked up somebody like Ronny Turiaf and the next year still picked up Solomon Jones. 

CP3 and Joe would not have needed much. 

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I'll rather CP3 or Deron before he sloppy over anyone we could have picked including Al and I love Al but I felt CP3 and Deron were sure fire HOFers and obviously CP3 is but I liked both back then

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure we kept it 100. It would have been CP3 OR Horford, but likely not both.

• Like 1

Always wanted a Zeke type pg and loooooved CP at Wake. Always wanted that special guard we never truly had during the Nique era (no offense to Mookie but someone better)…

We messed up…

fast forward 14 years..

Finally got the guard in Trae.

Cp would have been nice. 

• Premium Member

So the Trade was Joe Johnson for Boris Diaw, Rondo, and Robin Lopez. 

Even though Diaw became a very serviceable player. 

Rondo was the league PG for  CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM.

Lopez was a competent Big...

I would have done this trade again for these reasons..

1.  Joe Johnson - 7 time allstar.

2.   BK couldn't draft worth a flip..   We would have missed out on Rondo and Lopez.   We would have picked 2 long 6'9 guys...

Josh Boone and JJ Hickson.

3.  We sucked at the time and draft picks wasn't going to make us better... and neither was Diaw.   We had our franchise worse season ever before getting Joe.   Joe was a big part of righting the ship. 

4.  We didn't know how to play Diaw.  Everybody remembers Diaw in San Antonio being a great bench player and even being in Phoenix playing well.   However, in Atlanta, Woody had no idea what to do with him.   The idea of point forward was so unusal to Woody that he would have never used Diaw the right way. 

5.  Joe Saved the Franchise for a minute.   Josh Smith would have destroyed this franchise if we would have stayed losing.  Some players are like that. 

• Moderators

One of the big debates with the trade was not whether we wanted JJ but whether we needed to give up that much to get him.  A lot of people thought Phoenix was too cheap to pay him so he was gone and could have been gotten for a cheaper price.  There is no doubt that JJ was a great value player for us but having him and not giving away as much is even better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MarylandHawk said:

I thought i put trade for an existing nba player. Nique was a draft pick. 

Wilkins was selected third overall (behind James Worthy and Terry Cummings) by the Utah Jazz in the 1982 NBA draft. However, Wilkins was not willing to play in Utah; the team wanted him to play power forward, while he wanted to play small forward.[5] At the same time, the Jazz were reeling from cash flow problems. As a result, the Jazz traded Wilkins to the Atlanta Hawks several months after the draft for John Drew, Freeman Williams and $1 million in cash.

Drew and Freeman Will.

• Premium Member
Just now, Spud2nique said:

Wilkins was selected third overall (behind James Worthy and Terry Cummings) by the Utah Jazz in the 1982 NBA draft. However, Wilkins was not willing to play in Utah; the team wanted him to play power forward, while he wanted to play small forward.[5] At the same time, the Jazz were reeling from cash flow problems. As a result, the Jazz traded Wilkins to the Atlanta Hawks several months after the draft for John Drew, Freeman Williams and $1 million in cash.

Drew and Freeman Will.

Wow. Did he play a game for Utah?  

Absolutely. Joe Johnson was my favorite player after Dominique. Until that #11 showed up. I still don't know why Joe Johnson isn't on the all-time hawks team. I've never seen him on 2k either. I wonder if he asked not to be on the game.

• Like 2