• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta - Jarrett Culver

JayBirdHawk

3 hours ago, JTB said:

This is a good list but most are bust. That team has been in the lottery from 2006 -2022 more than they’ve been in the playoffs.

Outside of the KG years I can only remember two playoff appearances which is the thibbs/Butler year and then last season. 

you listed 6 average to good players …ok cool but from 2006 - 2022 the list of lottery failures im sure will triumph that list of 6 you have.

Dont forget about Johnny Flynn, Derrick Williams, Wes Johnson, and a few other greats..

• Moderators
15 hours ago, terrell said:

Dont forget about Johnny Flynn, Derrick Williams, Wes Johnson, and a few other greats..

They all predated the last decade timeframe I used but there are all on the list I provided.

I think you guys have an unrealistic expectation for picks if you think that Minnesota has some exceptional track record for busts.

Most teams have a hit and miss record in the draft.  For us, we have plenty of top 10 failures like Cam, Sheldon, Childress, DerMarr Johnson, etc. 

Philly had guys like Fultz and Okafor in addition to hits like Embiid and Simmons.

Dallas has not had many top 10 picks but has a big miss in Dennis Smith and and a big hit in Luka.

It is just very common to have a  mix of misses like Emmanuel Mudiay and hits like Jamal Murray.  Minnesota has the expected mix of misses and hits.  I see nothing special that would have prevented Culver from succeeding.

• Like 2

We are not talking about a machine here.  Jarrett Culver is a real human being.  

I'm sure there are reasons that he hasn't turned out as expected.  This is a low-cost deal.  He could end up being just able to be the #15 player.  That's the bottom.  With his 2-way contract, this may require some doing on his part.  But, wait.  He was drafted in the top 10.  He's had some NBA experience after he was drafted.  Just where his high end is, we know not.  #15 could be it.  On the other extreme, which no one really expects, Jarrett Culver could shock the world and become an all-star.

Remember that famous quote, "When you bite into a chocolate, you never know what you will get."  Don't expect too much.  Don't sell him short either.

🧑‍🔧Another piece of the puzzle.

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

If Culver develops into just a rotation 3 & D player that plays good defense then this is a steal. His shooting was flat out broken in college and I was against drafting him for the TWolves. 

My dad coached. I played college basketball. I know, I know, what does that mean? Maybe not much. But I know you can't expect someone to go from complete inability to shoot in college to suddenly being able to shoot in the pros. At least not for 2-4 seasons. 

Culver is in the timeline that if he keeps working on the shot so he's at least average then his defense, hustle and playmaking is enough to carry him to at least a rotation player. There is literally nothing to lose for us in this signing. The Twolves are the ones that had to bite the bullet on him, not us.

• Like 4

Trae and Jarrett both born in Lubbock Texas as well. Does anyone know if they grew up ballin together? 

Perhaps Trae stepped in with a roster suggestion like Giannis for Thanasis and Kostas. 

Rayford Trae Young is an American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks of the National Basketball Association. He played college basketball for the Oklahoma Sooners. In 2017, he tied the then-record in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I single-game assists with 22. Wikipedia
Born: September 19, 1998 (age 23 years), Lubbock, TX
Height: 6′ 1″

Jarrett Culver is an American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks of the National Basketball Association on a two-way contract with the College Park Skyhawks of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Wikipedia
Born: February 20, 1999 (age 23 years), Lubbock, TX
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Trae and Jarrett both born in Lubbock Texas as well. Does anyone know if they grew up ballin together? 

Perhaps Trae stepped in with a roster suggestion like Giannis for Thanasis and Kostas. 

Rayford Trae Young is an American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks of the National Basketball Association. He played college basketball for the Oklahoma Sooners. In 2017, he tied the then-record in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I single-game assists with 22. Wikipedia
Born: September 19, 1998 (age 23 years), Lubbock, TX
Height: 6′ 1″

Jarrett Culver is an American professional basketball player for the Atlanta Hawks of the National Basketball Association on a two-way contract with the College Park Skyhawks of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Wikipedia
Born: February 20, 1999 (age 23 years), Lubbock, TX

I would have to guess no....

Trae played HS in OK at Norman North H.S. 

Culver stayed in Lubbock at Coronado High School

Those two schools never played. 

Trae's prior years were in Italy, France, Portugal, and Spain as his father travelled.   I don't think Trae spent a lot of time in Lubbock. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Hated losing Jent, but I think someone mentioned earlier that it's good that Korver's come on-board, and maybe he can help Culver in the shooting department.

Of course, just because you can do it yourself doesn't mean you can diagnose others' problems and help them improve. But it also surely can't hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Makes you wonder...

Who was born in the same hospital that you were born in at the same time??

I was a home birth, in the same house I live in now.

:smug:

PS.  Ted Williams and I share the same birthday but not the same birthplace.

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Pretty much all of this draft scouting report has proven accurate as far as I noticed... a range of plausible outcomes is described, and the bottom line is that it's the worst-case outcomes that, so far, have won out.

6 hours ago, sturt said:

Hated losing Jent, but I think someone mentioned earlier that it's good that Korver's come on-board, and maybe he can help Culver in the shooting department.

Of course, just because you can do it yourself doesn't mean you can diagnose others' problems and help them improve. But it also surely can't hurt.

I’d imagine that he will have a similar impact on improving the shooting of others as he did when he was a player in uniform with us.

He wasn’t a shooting coach back then, and by all information he isn’t a shooting coach now. He will give his helpful tips along the way but he isn’t focusing on or drilling shooting mechanics everyday. He will prescribe generic development programs for everyone on the team, and rely on someone else to teach. Just my guess.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Pretty much all of this draft scouting report has proven accurate as far as I noticed... a range of plausible outcomes is described, and the bottom line is that it's the worst-case outcomes that, so far, have won out.

That’s an understatement.  Over 2300 minutes played with a career negative WS/48.  He can thank his lucky stars he’s made over $18M being horrible at ball.  Only in America.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, AHF said:

They all predated the last decade timeframe I used but there are all on the list I provided.

I think you guys have an unrealistic expectation for picks if you think that Minnesota has some exceptional track record for busts.

Most teams have a hit and miss record in the draft.  For us, we have plenty of top 10 failures like Cam, Sheldon, Childress, DerMarr Johnson, etc. 

Philly had guys like Fultz and Okafor in addition to hits like Embiid and Simmons.

Dallas has not had many top 10 picks but has a big miss in Dennis Smith and and a big hit in Luka.

It is just very common to have a  mix of misses like Emmanuel Mudiay and hits like Jamal Murray.  Minnesota has the expected mix of misses and hits.  I see nothing special that would have prevented Culver from succeeding.

I agree.. Idc one way or the other, I was just talking shizz about the Wolves.. lol

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Love what he has given us in his limited minutes.  My question will always be, what can you do when teams have a little tape and can now scout you? 

Jarrett Culver had some familiarity with his new Hawks teammates before he signed his two-way contract in September.

Culver grew up in Lubbock, Texas and stayed in his hometown to attend college at Texas Tech, which is where Rayford Young, Trae's dad, played college basketball.

"I kind of grew up with Trae," Culver said. "His dad is from Lubbock, so we knew each other since high school."

"(The coaches) were telling me to stay ready more than they have at other shootarounds, so I started getting signs that I might be playing."

When the 23-year-old was needed following injuries to Hunter and John Collins in Orlando, he produced instantly. He came off the bench to help the Hawks with 9 points and a career-high 12 rebounds, an impressive feat for a 6-foot-6 guard/forward.

I think this might be a coach emphasis on the rebounding, since he's so bad shooting from range.  He has to find other ways to impact the game.  For the record he averaged 3.4 Rebounds in his rookie year - his highest over his career.

"I'm making sure that I box out, and I'm making sure that I crash the glass," Culver said. "I'm coming in and trying to get as many rebounds as I can so that we can get out and run. I can dribble, too, so I'm pushing that pace when I get a rebound."

Hunter, this is for you:

"That is something that we try to teach: play on catch. You pass, shoot or attack. You don't catch and hold and let the defense recover. I thought we played that way (against Denver). We had some really good ball movement in our offense, and the open man was getting the ball,” Coach McMillan said. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...