• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome to Atlanta - Jarrett Culver

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, thecampster said:

This why Culver went so high.  The problem is Culver never developed a 3 point shot in the NBA, shooting under 30%. If he could get to just 35% from 3, he'd be a great pickup. The problem is his 3 pt shot is unnatural compared to his more normal contact, rise and shoot feel.

No player ever needed a shooting coach more, because he's able to play the rest of the game adequately.

NVE is going to see if he got that Dog in him... and if he does, he will be groomed into a Jimmy Butler like player. 

17 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Get this guy in the gym with Korver NOW..Maybe we can turn him inot a decent 3 and D guy... But  We cant have anybody shooting FT's worse than Capela.. Nope....... lol..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Chauncey Billups.

Pat Bev. 

DeAngelo Russell 

Bobby Portis

DeWayne Dedmon

Those are the first few that comes to mind. 

None of those guys are really comparable to Culver each for different reasons. It's an anamoly for a top 6 pick to sign a two way deal just three years from being drafted. Honestly I don't even remember a single example. It's essentially one hair away from being out of the NBA. It's Anthony Bennet territory of bust.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

None of those guys are really comparable to Culver each for different reasons. It's an anamoly for a top 6 pick to sign a two way deal just three years from being drafted. Honestly I don't even remember a single example. It's essentially one hair away from being out of the NBA. It's Anthony Bennet territory of bust.

Josh Jackson (#4 pick) was on his way there. He seems to have semi-turned things around but haven't been able to find a stable team. 4 teams in 5 years.

• Sad 1

A long time ago (three years) this player was much desired.  He was drafted into the NBA.  Why the fall?  There must be a reason.  Surely the things that made him a popular draft pick are still there.

Hawks have replaced a second-round draft pick, Cooper, with a high 1st round pick.  Apparently, it didn't cost anything to make this change.  I like the odds of this new Hawks being better, don't you?

🧑‍🔧Building a winner!

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Josh Jackson (#4 pick) was on his way there. He seems to have semi-turned things around but haven't been able to find a stable team. 4 teams in 5 years.

I’d like to say that I thought Josh Jackson should have been picked ahead of Jayson Tatum. :scratch: 🏃‍♀️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As bad as Jackson has been he did sign a 2 year deal after his rookie contract, so there was more of a market for him than Culver. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

As bad as Jackson has been he did sign a 2 year deal after his rookie contract, so there was more of a market for him than Culver. 

Yeah. It is almost impossibly bad to get signed to a two-way deal after this long in the league and to still actually make a team.  I'm not counting on Culver being around very long.

• Premium Member

I sense we'll be seeing this same kind of article being written after a few appearances in a Hawks uni....

2022-09-13_17-07-55.png

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2021/10/12/22721154/jarrett-culver-second-act-memphis-grizzlies-player-previews-nba

But again, ideally to my way of thinking, he gets a lot of time in College Park... gets a lot of time running point to see if he can develop there... and gets a ton of rediscovered confidence.

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

Bennet was a #1 overall.. Biggest Bust in NBA history. 

Billups was a third pick of the draft and had a long way to get to Big time. 

I was going to call up Parker... #2 overall.. but he really haven't surfaced yet (even though he's playing). 

But Portis... come on.  That dude was in the G-League. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Huh? :er:.....as in Bobby Portis?

Yeah...

June 25, 2015: Drafted by the Chicago Bulls in the 1st round (22nd pick) of the 2015 NBA Draft.

July 7, 2015: Signed a multi-year contract with the Chicago Bulls.

January 6, 2017: Assigned to the Windy City Bulls of the G-League.

January 7, 2017: Recalled from the Windy City Bulls of the G-League.

December 4, 2018: Assigned to the Windy City Bulls of the G-League.

February 6, 2019: Traded by the Chicago Bulls with Jabari Parker and a 2023 2nd round draft pick to the Washington Wizards for Otto Porter. (Protections removed in trade on 7/7/19)

This is why I wanted to sign Portis.   A guy who had to scrap to get back in the league appreciates his place in it and works hard. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Diesel said:

Bennet was a #1 overall.. Biggest Bust in NBA history. 

Billups was a third pick of the draft and had a long way to get to Big time. 

I was going to call up Parker... #2 overall.. but he really haven't surfaced yet (even though he's playing). 

But Portis... come on.  That dude was in the G-League. 

Portis was the 22nd pick and was putting up 14 and 7 by his age 22 season. Billups had started like 140 games by the age of 22 .

Culver has 30 starts, a negative WAR negative Win shares negative VORP, negative box score +- a TS% of 46% and would have been out of the league by age 22 if we hadn't just signed him to the cheapest possible contract a player his age could sign.

And for the record, of course I'm rooting for him to give us something, just that with a three year track record of being weeeell below replacement level, expecting anything more than competent emergency PG might be pretty unrealistic.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This acquisition has grown on me as the day progressed... in a positive way, that is.

And it's mainly because Schlields somehow someway persuaded Culver to sign a 2-way deal, when surely Culver's agent wanted a regular contract even if it was non-guaranteed.

Think about that.

You control Culver for the entire regular season, and you're not paying him even a regular salary, and you still have that 15th roster slot open for other opportunities that could still surface.

R.aedcd8966cd9ed7d9f814284d17ab39b?rik=N

He's obviously not been the asset that one would have anticipated, but he's also not been so terrible that you'd think he couldn't get a non-guaranteed deal for one of the teams that still have to make some decisions about the end of their bench... or, certainly he should have been getting some decent overseas offers.

Have you watched Culver's defensive highlights? A few of us were begging for the Hawks to make a deal w/ OKC for Dort. Well, we just got a Dort with 2-3 inches more height, and arms reminiscent of Plasticman... yes, the twin of Stacey Augmon, folks, is now in the barn.

giphy.gif

Mind you, we do have too many wings. We do have too many PGs when you count the other 2-way, Forrest. This wasn't a pick-up based on need at a position. This was a pick-up based on the special opportunity it presents.

Can't imagine we've ever had a 2-way signing in which the player's ceiling was at Culver's level.

1zbJ8aWsPREosFDwXmzTToPSM=

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Portis was the 22nd pick and was putting up 14 and 7 by his age 22 season. Billups had started like 140 games by the age of 22 .

Culver has 30 starts, a negative WAR negative Win shares negative VORP, negative box score +- a TS% of 46% and would have been out of the league by age 22 if we hadn't just signed him to the cheapest possible contract a player his age could sign.

And for the record, of course I'm rooting for him to give us something, just that with a three year track record of being weeeell below replacement level, expecting anything more than competent emergency PG might be pretty unrealistic.

Here's some hope for you...

I'm likeyou.  This is a chance. I hope he does well with it.   I'm not about to say that it's death because he's a 2 way player.   My hope is that he plays his way up. 

• Like 4

Reading these comments are very interesting considering he started his career with the TWolves!

say what you want but high and low draft picks go to teams like Sacramento and Minny to basically rot and fail 

culver needs benefit of the doubt and to see how a winning team works. He may find something here that works for him or become very motivated by McMillan. We shall see.

• Like 1