Take the 25 game pledge (... or if not, modify it to suit your own convictions... )

sturt

• Moderators
Just now, Spud2nique said:

I don’t change my predictions for the Hawks, they change to me. :er: I don’t even know what that means but I’M GOIN DOWN WITH THE SHIP 🛳️ 

I'm thrilled that at least one of my predictions is turning out to be wrong (especially after it looked dead on for the first 9 games).  That one being that Nate would essentially bury AJ on the bench or put him in the GLeague instead of giving him meaningful and consistent run.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm thrilled that at least one of my predictions is turning out to be wrong (especially after it looked dead on for the first 9 games).  That one being that Nate would essentially bury AJ on the bench or put him in the GLeague instead of giving him meaningful and consistent run.

Ya I’m thankful for you wrongness a lot as well. :er: I mean umm, glad you were off on that one! :nailbiting: 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

I say I don't predict things, but I suppose by guessing that we would start off the season 13-12, it can be argued that that's a prediction, no different than my guess that, following the first 25 games, the newest version of Real Hawks would be sufficiently experienced with each other that we would see the kind of performance level/record anticipated.

Looks today like perhaps BogBog's return is imminent, and man-oh-man, won't that be sweet. It's one thing to lose KVon, it's another to lose both KVon and BogBog.

Confident we're going to be okay, as long as we can stay healthy.

• Premium Member
On 10/24/2022 at 12:23 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

I, JayBirdHawk, Lady of The Squawk, will resist with all my mental muscle, arriving at any firm conclusions about this roster until this team has completed 21 games of the new season.

And further, I will resist doing that for any individual player until that player has 21 games under his belt.

However, I do reserve the right to ignore this pledge and do what the hell I want.

Signed this 24th Day of October, in the year of our Lord 2022 at 12:23PM.

I know this pledge is about the roster and players...but I'm going to start with coaching. I'm laying EVERYTHING at Nate's feet.

1. I'm not a fan of Nate! Same as it was last year, same this year.

2. His offensive philosophy of attacking mismatches and playing in the midrange, it leads to too much ISO stuff.  The inflexibility with his rotations, timing and personnel usage.  He does not coach with situational instinct.  It's your time to go in or come out - so that's what will happen.  In game adjustment - very rare.

2. We are a low volume, low percentage shooting 3-point shooting team - not in todays NBA.  His comment regarding ignoring what the analytics say - sure sure sure.  See where we are? smh

3. PACE PACE PACE - Our pace is at a snails' pace recently, particularly late in the 4th quarters

4. What was his reasoning for visiting Trae in OKC in the offseason?  I haven't seen any offensive wrinkles for any changes.

5. He said something before the Miami game about the reason for getting DJ was his ability to help on Miami switches - really - that's it. that's it?  Really?

6. His army of characters on the bench is some low-grade stuff.

7. We have not been able to solve the zone - this is by far the biggest thing which in turn leads to a very slooooooww pace. Passing the ball around the perimeter with guys stationary then shooting a 3 will not bust a zone. What is the play call?  Or are the players just nor executing?

8. I'm not a fan of Nate! Same as it was last year, same this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He does not coach with situational instinct.

Indeed.

15 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

We have not been able to solve the zone - this is by far the biggest thing which in turn leads to a very slooooooww pace.

This is sad because NBA teams usually love zone defenses but as you alluded to, we can’t shoot the 3.

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm not a fan of Nate!

I’m here too.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 11/29/2022 at 10:06 AM, sturt said:

I say I don't predict things, but I suppose by guessing that we would start off the season 13-12, it can be argued that that's a prediction, no different than my guess that, following the first 25 games, the newest version of Real Hawks would be sufficiently experienced with each other that we would see the kind of performance level/record anticipated.

Looks today like perhaps BogBog's return is imminent, and man-oh-man, won't that be sweet. It's one thing to lose KVon, it's another to lose both KVon and BogBog.

Confident we're going to be okay, as long as we can stay healthy.

13-10 today, and in 4th place out of the gate.... would be tied for 3rd if we coulda taken CLE down. With OKC and NYK on the horizon, good chance it will be 14-11 or 15-10.

Feeling good.

R.8088f25dfbe0ab6c97d93ec85256ebc3?rik=C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sturt said:

13-10 today, and in 4th place out of the gate.... would be tied for 3rd if we coulda taken CLE down. With OKC and NYK on the horizon, good chance it will be 14-11 or 15-10.

Feeling good.

R.8088f25dfbe0ab6c97d93ec85256ebc3?rik=C

I feel comfier, thanks for the pillow 🥱 😴 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Sqauwkers ready to go after this game? 🤓.

Bring out the  🧑‍🌾 and 🔥

:ph34r:

Me, I'd amended my 25 game pledge once it became apparent that BogBog would be out for most of those games. I'd bumped it up to 33 once he did return. Of course, having two starters out for the last few games also is problematic, and I may have some more adjustments to make accordingly depending on when they return.

But that's just me.

(And/but it explains why I'm mostly sitting out of any of these attempts to critique/analyze/remedy any on-court difficulties.)

This team has been quite healthy relative to the league up until the last couple.

15th ranked payroll, 15th in total attendance, 16th in net rating.  Ownership and Basketball Ops couldn’t possibly be more mediocre.

But what else is there in the life of a Hawks fan.  We love this shit lol.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I realized a couple weeks ago that there is such an ebb+flow to a season that a 25 game mark only gives partial answers.  AJ just got in the starting lineup, players are injured, Bogi just returned, Trae might be in a feud, if we figured something out chances are the circumstances blew it up.  I can certainly say we are not the team we hoped we would be so far.  

• Like 1

Management can’t identify two-way players.  No one really moves the needle here:

38760918-A1D1-4EA0-97EE-66BD70599BF9.thumb.jpeg.9792149539d7bcbe68489e4067323e6d.jpeg

Most contending teams have about 2 guards/ wings who are significantly outpacing the teams offensive rating and a Big who’s in the mid  to low 100s in defensive.

Pay little mind to Clint and OO’s inflated offensive ratings, they overweigh offensive rebounds and field goal percentage from Cs while not penalizing for non-existent playmaking.  Although their screening pays great dividends.

The offense-for-defense trade off has resulted in a two point loss from last season.  

John’s huge shooting drop-off has been the only real surprise to me and has been a killer.  

AJ has obviously come back to Earth now with teams staying with him and running him off.  

Both of Jalens ratings are inflated and I don’t even know why lol.  They just are.

Bogi brings no value if he isn’t hitting shots obviously.  So he really needs to like hit shots.  His volume can be a godsend or a death sentence lol.

Me and @NBASupes can debate this but Dre’s just a workload carrier, which is important no doubt.  But expecting him to actually give you above average impact on either side is barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid.

In a short sample Tyrese has shown he can outclass scrubs.  With his offensive rebounding and tenacity defending on ball he deserves a few looks with the second unit soon.

With very little cutting and screening from the guards and wings we just aren’t gonna see high level ball y’all.  It always carries over to the help aspect of the defensive end. 

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Me and @NBASupes can debate this but Dre’s just a workload carrier, which is important no doubt.  But expecting him to actually give you above average impact on either side is barking up the wrong tree I’m afraid.

In a short sample Tyrese has shown he can outclass scrubs.  With his offensive rebounding and tenacity defending on ball he deserves a few looks with the second unit soon.

Yes.  and why not?

2 hours ago, benhillboy said:

This team has been quite healthy relative to the league up until the last couple.

15th ranked payroll, 15th in total attendance, 16th in net rating.  Ownership and Basketball Ops couldn’t possibly be more mediocre.

But what else is there in the life of a Hawks fan.  We love this shit lol.

Its always something with this team...

And Schlenk always has an excuse to use for our lackluster play.....

LP,  Covid,  injuries(even though he drafts and trades for injured players), steroid suspension, etc..... and we can probably add Nate to the excuse list real soon.........  smh.

Edited by terrell

I don't know about any one else.  I'm ready to talk bad about this Hawk team.

Last night's game was the straw that broke the camel's back.  50 points in the 1st quarter?  Where were the Hawks players?  They didn't show up in that quarter.

🥲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
Just now, Gray Mule said:

I don't know about any one else.  I'm ready to talk bad about this Hawk team.

Last night's game was the straw that broke the camel's back.  50 points in the 1st quarter?  Where were the Hawks players?  They didn't show up in that quarter.

🥲

1p9tur.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So what now @sturt?

With Capela, Collins and DJ out?

How many games?

How does one evaluate performance without performance?

I don't make the rules. I just know what they are, and don't pretend they don't exist.

Teams have to play together in order to get in synch, and thus, in order to assess their likelihood of success.

Inconvenient factoid worth remembering for the sake of sobriety, those guys who everyone else right now considers other-worldly were, at this point last season.................................

2022-12-15_19-03-18.png

• Thanks 1