• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question for the day....

Diesel

Here's a question...  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't wanna say his name but I don't even feel that way about you know who from the same class that is arguably a better player. Trae is still a star who has the potential to reach superstar status. Doubt it will ever happen under the current staff however.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:

Trae will be an all-time great if he can perform come playoff time. He is already putting up the regular season stats, he just needs rings to give him legitimacy amongst the league's best players. It'll take time though, as great as he already is he's still growing.

His first year in the playoffs, he took his team further than CP3 had done in 13 years. 

He has led the league in scoring and assists (totals)....  

The funny thing about the guys I named for the poll, none of them have done that. 

For his career, he has averaged:   25.3 points, 9.1 assists and 3.9 rebounds 

Let's consider that...

Curry:  24.3 ppg, 6.5 apg, 4.6 rpg. 

Kidd:  12.6, 8.7, and 6.3  (even if you took Kidd's best years, he never averaged over 20 ppg). 

Headlines:

Trae Young, “joins Oscar Robertson as the only other player in NBA postseason history with 500 points and 150 assists in fewer than 20 playoff games.”

• Like 1

He is putting up stats at the level of elite superstars.  I voted yes, but my actual answer is TBD.  When you say like Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Curry you are talking about the top players of the decade.  When I watched the Redeem Team documentary, it was Lebron and Kobe that were the alphas on a team filled with HOF players.  Is Trae an alpha of HOF players in his generation?  

I don't think he's there quite yet, but he could get there.  There is Luka, Jokic, Tatum, and maybe Ja Morant he's contending with for the top player of his generation.  I actually think he's probably more like James Harden, Chris Paul, or Charles Barkley.  An all time great, but a level just below guys like Magic, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Curry, etc.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Final_quest said:

He is putting up stats at the level of elite superstars.  I voted yes, but my actual answer is TBD.  When you say like Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Curry you are talking about the top players of the decade.  When I watched the Redeem Team documentary, it was Lebron and Kobe that were the alphas on a team filled with HOF players.  Is Trae an alpha of HOF players in his generation?  

I don't think he's there quite yet, but he could get there.  There is Luka, Jokic, Tatum, and maybe Ja Morant he's contending with for the top player of his generation.  I actually think he's probably more like James Harden, Chris Paul, or Charles Barkley.  An all time great, but a level just below guys like Magic, Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Curry, etc.  

Let's be honest.

The thing that separates Harden and CP3 and Barkley from guys like Kobe and Lebron and Curry are RINGS....

That's it.   Nobody can tell me that Harden doesn't reach the level of any of those guys statwise.    Nobody can say that Barkley wasn't an all time great.   Nobody will convince me that CP3 is not one of the top 3 PGs of all time.   Their only failing is not having the rings.  And getting the rings is hard.   Lebron has gone to the Finals 10 times and has 4 rings.   Of those 4...

One was given to him by the NBA  *  - Draymond suspension. 

One was in the Bubble* - Best teams didn't want to play. 

One was gifted to him by Ray Allen.

If it's this hard for a guy called "the king" to get a ring, it's hard to get a ring.    Here's the thing.  Trae has not been on a superteam and he's already been to the Conference Finals.   Embiid hasn't made it to a conference finals and he has been an MVP candidate. 

I agree, Trae will eventually get there... but as far as can he get there.  If he stays healthy... absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Let's be honest.

The thing that separates Harden and CP3 and Barkley from guys like Kobe and Lebron and Curry are RINGS....

Don't think so.  Even the superstars defer to the Lebron and Jordan's of the era.  There is a pecking order. 

Lebron may have got lucky to get some of his rings, but he put his team in a position to "get lucky" like 9 times.  There absolutely is more than rings that separate the top tier guys.  

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Diesel said:

What is your standard for Generational star??

To anybody who says he's not...

I don't have a definition per se, but I can tell you with 100% certainty he doesn't belong anywhere near a list that includes MJ, Lebron, Kobe and Steph.   

Of all the homer delusional posts I've seen here, this might top the list.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

No, I don't believe Trae is a generational star like Curry, Lebron, Kobe, or MJ. Y'all need to take your homer glasses off for a second if you consider him to be in this same tier.

Yes, I do think he can be the best player on a championship team which is all that really matters to me.

Again, I ask.. what is your standard?

2 minutes ago, shakes said:

I don't have a definition per se, but I can tell you with 100% certainty he doesn't belong anywhere near a list that includes MJ, Lebron, Kobe and Steph.   

Of all the homer delusional posts I've seen here, this might top the list.

If you don't have a definition or a standard, then you have  a baseless opinion....

• Premium Member

I think he is...or at least he is one in the making.  There are two qualifiers that separate the generational stars from the other stars.  One is a multifaceted skillset that generates consistent, prolific, and efficient metrics.  The other is simply winning at the highest level.  Would we call Jordan a generational talent had he not won a single championship?  Yet, we also understand that no matter how good a single player is, it means nothing without a complete team.  He has things he needs to clean up, sure.  Regardless, Trae is still unstoppable (sans a gang of defenders smothering him) and he reads the floor like few that I have ever seen.  When it all comes together around him, which we hope is here, Trae is going to decimate the league.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

So far, there are 5 guys who says no. 

I asked for a standard... 

and One of those guys says.. "I don't have a definition...but"

That says to me it really don't matter what Trae does, these guys will never see him as a generational talent.    Let me know when I'm wrong.  Sounds like just baseless opinions. Loud pessimism. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Wretch said:

I think he is...or at least he is one in the making.  There are two qualifiers that separate the generational stars from the other stars.  One is a multifaceted skillset that generates consistent, prolific, and efficient metrics.  The other is simply winning at the highest level.  Would we call Jordan a generational talent had he not won a single championship?  Yet, we also understand that no matter how good a single player is, it means nothing without a complete team.  He has things he needs to clean up, sure.  Regardless, Trae is still unstoppable (sans a gang of defenders smothering him) and he reads the floor like few that I have ever seen.  When it all comes together around him, which we hope is here, Trae is going to decimate the league.

The playoff run of 2021 was so great because Trae did it with No Allstars on the team.   How many teams have made it to the conference finals with no allstars and no All NBAers? Moreover, had Trae not gotten injured, we don't know where that run would have stopped.   Think about it... No allstars.. .no All NBAers.  In the conference finals and knocking on the door to the finals.   And in his first year in the playoffs. 

Aside from his ridiculous stats, this is what stands out the most. 

My apologies to Spud but Curry is mentioned among generational stars because his three point shooting has changed the way the game is being played.   However, Trae does the same things that Curry does (without the three point percentage) PLUS he is an assist machine.  Curry has gotten where he has gotten while being surrounded by allstars...  Trae... surrounded by average role players. 

• Like 1

Just now, Diesel said:

So far, there are 5 guys who says no. 

I asked for a standard... 

and One of those guys says.. "I don't have a definition...but"

That says to me it really don't matter what Trae does, these guys will never see him as a generational talent.    Let me know when I'm wrong.  Sounds like just baseless opinions. Loud pessimism. 

Diesel, this whole question and topic is opinion based. You can't just say the responses that don't agree with you are baseless, opinionated, and loudly pessimistic when the answer to the question that you asked is 100% based on opinion.

• Like 3