• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here's a question.. for the Nate hate...

Diesel

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I don’t mind Nate. Now, JC struggling against top eastern forwards… that’s an issue along with DeAndre’s bad whistles.

Yeah what’s up with DeAndre’s foul calls? It seems ridiculous to me the fouls they call on him. It is almost like the opposite team goes to the refs before every game and says “you know Hunter is their best defender right?  Well that’s only because he bumps people with his body as they are trying to shoot.” And the refs say”hmmn, I will be looking at that closely you might be right”. It is awful to watch Dre sliding his feet in perfect defensive position with his hands up and an offensive player bumps into him, flails, and the refs call the foul. If I were Dre, I would average one tech a game until they stop calling that BS. Otherwise, I would make them count if they are going to call that baby stuff and send a message to the other team and institute a no layup rule. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

It seems he gets at least 1 horrible call against him every game, but usually 2.  Okongwu gets the second most phantom calls, followed by Collins.  

Sometimes, they are horrible, sometimes, they are well earned. 

Let's not act like he doesn't commit some boneheaded fouls... and when I say boneheaded, I mean dumbass.

He's been in the league too long to still be falling for Vet tricks!

• Premium Member

My issue isn't with Nate.  I think he's a great coach who has overachieved with different teams.  People were knocking his history before he came here, but this is the first time that he's had this much talent to work with.  I've always been good with giving Nate the space and time he needs to work and seeing things through with him.

My question is simply...will he turn out to be the best fit?  That will depend upon how the team executes on both ends and ultimately where we settle in the the standings.  I think minimum expectations is a top 4 seed and a competitive 2nd round.  Otherwise...change will be a'coming man. 

In that scenario, my money is on a coaching change before a big roster move.

NFL Memes on Twitter: "All I'm saying is that the Jaguars cut Tim Tebow and  suddenly the Taliban is back https://t.co/RPj3sjA4tA" / Twitter

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 11/3/2022 at 10:23 AM, Final_quest said:

It seems he gets at least 1 horrible call against him every game, but usually 2.  Okongwu gets the second most phantom calls, followed by Collins.  

Yeah, Hunter is getting the Okongwu whistle this year.  Okongwu definitely has some stupid fouls, but he also has a lot of 100% phantom fouls.  We need to start a marketing campaign on how good our guys are defensively to bias the refs, similar to how they officiate Smart and the Cs or Butler and the Heat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 candidates and that’s it.

1. Mark Jackson. 

I know people are against this for the religious prayer stuff back in the day. Are we sure he hasn’t changed. I mean with this day and age, Mark may have adjusted to respecting individuals being individuals and not conforming. 

If so, he’s perfect for the Hawks and a match made in heaven from our backcourt specially Trae, wealth of knowledge and experience he can relay.

2. Sam Cassell.

He adjusted as a player whenever they threw a wrench 🔧 his way he would handle it well and be the smartest player on the floor. AS A ROOKIE. He’s been behind the bench sitting behind Doc (I think he prolly doesn’t agree with Doc which is great lol). He also was a PG who was crafty and can help Trae in every facet of the game.

Thats it.

Honorable mention: Quin Snyder- With us before, we did well during that time. He calls plays, he switches things up is a good coach overall.

I may have missed more details about Udoka, but I know the Nets hired Jacque Vaughn.  I would be happy to get Udoka, unless more trouble is headed his way.  As I said, if something else has come up with him, I am not aware of it.  If his relationship was consensual and both parties will attest to that, it seems to me that their jobs are unrelated enough that being in a relationship with Udoka would not  be to the young woman's advantage, as long as there was no coercion, etc.

Edited by Watchman

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I have 2 candidates and that’s it.

1. Mark Jackson. 

I know people are against this for the religious prayer stuff back in the day. Are we sure he hasn’t changed. I mean with this day and age, Mark may have adjusted to respecting individuals being individuals and not conforming. 

If so, he’s perfect for the Hawks and a match made in heaven from our backcourt specially Trae, wealth of knowledge and experience he can relay.

2. Sam Cassell.

He adjusted as a player whenever they threw a wrench 🔧 his way he would handle it well and be the smartest player on the floor. AS A ROOKIE. He’s been behind the bench sitting behind Doc (I think he prolly doesn’t agree with Doc which is great lol). He also was a PG who was crafty and can help Trae in every facet of the game.

Thats it.

Honorable mention: Quin Snyder- With us before, we did well during that time. He calls plays, he switches things up is a good coach overall.

I like Cassell as a player.  I'm so tired of hearing Mark Jackson.  Yeah i know Kerr gives him a lot of credit but i don't believe it was prayer circles that got him fired.  I think he got fired because he's an asshole.   To me it's just the return of LP but maybe he gets more respect because he was a great player?

Getting a coach mid season maybe a challenge.   I don't know if Van Exel is up for a head coaching gig at all but at least he's a guy who seems to have respect and you could hire as an interim and then not hire in the summer without a lot of blow back.

Hawks took some heat (undeservedly) for firing LP.  With Nate rolling to the ECF as interim they almost had no choice but to hire him.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Watchman said:

I may have missed more details about Udoka, but I know the Nets hired Jacque Vaughn.  I would be happy to get Udoka, unless more trouble is headed his way.  As I said, if something else has come up with him, I am not aware of it.  If his relationship was consensual and both parties will attest to that, it seems to me that their jobs are unrelated enough that being in a relationship with Udoka would not  be to the young woman's advantage, as long as there was no coercion, etc.

Take it with a grain of salt but what has been reported in the press is that:

• Udoka and the woman started a consensual relationship 
  • The woman was a team manager who reported up the chain to Udoka
  • The Celtics told Udoka he wasn't to have a relationship with subordinate staff members and to stop
  • The woman told Udoka to stop pursuing her
  • Udoka continued to pursue her despite what she had asked and what the Celtics had directed

It was also reported that he had an affair with a VP's wife which is separate from this.

Take anything in the press with a grain of salt but the extreme outcome (a 1 year suspension) leads me to think the Celtics viewed Udoka as crossing a red line on this.  If the facts above are accurate, it would likely be not the fact that he had the affair but the insubordination in continuing to pursue her after he had been directed to stop.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

Take it with a grain of salt but what has been reported in the press is that:

• Udoka and the woman started a consensual relationship 
  • The woman was a team manager who reported up the chain to Udoka
  • The Celtics told Udoka he wasn't to have a relationship with subordinate staff members and to stop
  • The woman told Udoka to stop pursuing her
  • Udoka continued to pursue her despite what she had asked and what the Celtics had directed

It was also reported that he had an affair with a VP's wife which is separate from this.

Take anything in the press with a grain of salt but the extreme outcome (a 1 year suspension) leads me to think the Celtics viewed Udoka as crossing a red line on this.  If the facts above are accurate, it would likely be not the fact that he had the affair but the insubordination in continuing to pursue her after he had been directed to stop.

Oh well, sounds like he crossed the line...repeatedly.   As Gilda Radner used to say, "Never Mind."

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Well, Listening to the guys that don't like Nate, it seems that Nate is gone by the end of the year.  If that be the case, who would you rather have from these names:

1.  Sam Cassell

2.   Udoka

3.  Snyder

4.  Griff Sr. 

5.  Dave Joerger

6.  David Fizdale

7.  Mark Jackson 

• Moderators

Looking at who's out there the one guy who has been interviewed for about every open position is Charles Lee.  I think he'd be a good fit.  

NBA 40 under 40: Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Charles Lee is ready to run his own team - The Athletic

I doubt we could get him mid season though.

Bucks make Charles Lee associate head coach in effort to keep key assistant (nbcsports.com)

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Looking at who's out there the one guy who has been interviewed for about every open position is Charles Lee.  I think he'd be a good fit.  

NBA 40 under 40: Milwaukee Bucks assistant coach Charles Lee is ready to run his own team - The Athletic

I doubt we could get him mid season though.

Bucks make Charles Lee associate head coach in effort to keep key assistant (nbcsports.com)

I would like somebody with a track records as a HC though.  I know that there's a new wave of Assistants becoming HC and doing well, but most of those are with young starless teams.   We need somebody who can manage the superstar mentalities.   For that reason, I would like to hear thoughts on:

David Fizdale. 

I think he got a bad deal in NY.   He was there for the Lebron/Wade/Bosh Run...  He has seen divas before.   I think he also has an interesting offense that consists of Transition offense, Pin downs, and PNRs.   What do yall think?

My biggest gripe:  Adjustments!  They do.  We don't.  Nate should designate one coach to make adjustments on the defense and one to make them on the offense if he is not comfortable with making them himself.  Three brains working together.  This should be better than one acting alone.

Nate continues with his nine man rotation.  Check all the box scored.  Not 8.  Not 10.  

Welcome to Madison Square Garden and the Ice Trae show this evening!

:smug:

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I would like somebody with a track records as a HC though.  I know that there's a new wave of Assistants becoming HC and doing well, but most of those are with young starless teams.   We need somebody who can manage the superstar mentalities.   For that reason, I would like to hear thoughts on:

David Fizdale. 

I think he got a bad deal in NY.   He was there for the Lebron/Wade/Bosh Run...  He has seen divas before.   I think he also has an interesting offense that consists of Transition offense, Pin downs, and PNRs.   What do yall think?

We have someone with a track record now.   I don't know.  No one out there with a track record really impresses me that much but i'm no expert.  I like Fiz a lot but he's salty as hell.    Seems like the one thing we know is that the my way or the highway approach doesn't work for Trae (and honestly other players too).  

What i see is this 'new wave' of assistants coming in and outcoaching the old guard.   No one was screaming for Udoka a year ago.   Look at what Willie Green is doing with a team similar in age and experience to ours.   Pelicans aren't a starless team.   Neither was Boston a year ago.  Neither was PHX when they gave the job to Williams who had a horrible record as a HC. 

• Like 1