• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And Here We Go (Coach McMillan)

Jody23

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

However, the cracks began to show in July when sources say Hawks governor Tony Ressler pushed the front office to go on a cost-cutting spree, which resulted in a top-heavy and structurally deficient roster. The moves came months after Ressler told the media he wasn't scared of the luxury tax and made private assurances to players that he planned to spend what was necessary to build a contending team.

The short-sighted plan chased off the architect of the team's rebuild, gutted the roster, and left gaping holes in the front office. As a result, 2023 presents the most perilous era in Atlanta in many years.

image.gif.63413a52cc3f223fd0ead183fc07ba53.gif

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member

I've always defended Schlenk because I like what I hear when he talks about basketball, our roster, draft prospects, etc.  He has a good reputation, and drafting 19 year olds is a bit of a crap shoot so I tend to give a lot of leeway there.  And I try not to use hindsight to fault decisions.  The recent drama within our org is indicating to me that Schlenk is likely not the root issue, and it starts with Tony Ressler.  

This is basically the scenario I've feared for 2+ years now.  Ressler talking big about going into the tax with no real intention of doing that (unless we are already winning championships, which is extremely unlikely without going into the tax in the first place)... now he has completely run off one of the more competent GMs in the league because he's micromanaging his moves, going behind his back to orchestrate deals through his son and Landry fields, and forcing him to make losing trades to save money.

So as many here have suspected and stated since the news on Schlenk came out, he's gone because he has a fundamentally different vision for the team than Ressler.  Schlenk was trying to build a championship roster from the ground up and make good long term moves that over time will culminate in a winning team that has assets to go all-in during Trae's prime.  Ressler's intention for this team is clear: stay under the luxury threshold and feature Trae to sell tickets.  Keep Trae happy because he's the engine for the box office.  And keeping Trae happy has turned into Trae being an unqualified mini-GM.  Now we have nepotism, yes-men, and businessmen running the organization... I don't see any substantial basketball, team building, experience to be excited about.  We're going to quickly turn into the Minnesota Timberwolves East.  I've had season tickets for the past couple years and this is the first time I've really questioned if I wanted to renew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

They're late but whatever.

Nate McMillan on the hot seat

In talking with several NBA executives about the Atlanta Hawks, there’s a prevailing prediction from outside the organization – coach Nate McMillan won’t be with the team beyond this season. Despite a three-game winning streak heading into Wednesday’s road matchup against Luka Doncic and the Mavericks, the Hawks are not meeting expectations at 22-22 following the blockbuster acquisition of All-Star Dejounte Murray. – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Kind-of a post that suggests its Hoops Hype author is working on a quota.

Few coaches whose teams are "not meeting expectations" would avoid the same "prevailing prediction outside the organization."

• Premium Member

Tell me if I'm wrong, but the reason management does not want Nate to leave during the season is because management is afraid they will put an interim coach in place and that coach will do very well and then management might be in a situation where they have to give the guy the job full time ala what happened with Nate 2 years ago.

if that's true, you really can't get more chicken shite than that.  Imagine not firing a coach because you are scared the team will respond and  win games?  If that's the case might as well sit everyone and fully embrace a tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, shakes said:

Tell me if I'm wrong, but the reason management does not want Nate to leave during the season is because management is afraid they will put an interim coach in place and that coach will do very well and then management might be in a situation where they have to give the guy the job full time ala what happened with Nate 2 years ago.

if that's true, you really can't get more chicken shite than that.  Imagine not firing a coach because you are scared the team will respond and  win games?  If that's the case might as well sit everyone and fully embrace a tank.

I thought the idea was more that Nate ****ed us with his staff so there is no one currently in the organization that is a legit candidate to take over and they don't want to tank the season.  They think Nate is the better alternative and don't think the good long-term candidates will be available until the offseason so better to make the break at the end of the year.

• Like 3

As much as it may suck I'd say let Nate coach out the season and see what happens. I do not want to get locked into an interim coach if they get hot at the end of the year and make a playoff run.

I'd like us to take our time and find a coach that fits in the off season.

• Like 1