• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Official NBASupes, Sothron, and theCampster Insider Thread - NBA 2022-23 Season

NBASupes

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Frankly, Simmons deserved a ton of criticism after the way he stopped shooting that series but it can't be Embiid who delivers it.  You can't be the best player and supposed leader of your team and be the person who is pointing out your teammates' limitations and failings to the press.  That is doubly the case when you aren't willing to acknowledge your own failings.

Fair.  But it's also fair to point out JoeLLLL-o fading and disappearing late in most of those games.  Since that was the actual reason we beat them. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Fair.  But it's also fair to point out JoeLLLL-o fading and disappearing late in most of those games.  Since that was the actual reason we beat them. 

I don't think it was the "actual reason" in that it couldn't have been overcome if Simmons wouldn't have curled into a ball.  Like if we had Embiid and he did his late game fade, then I think Trae would be looking to step up to carry us across the finish line.  Embiid was still very good against us and was the primary reason they almost won the series.  (Curry and Harris had fine series against us as well.)

I do like the irony of Simmons laughing at the Sixers:

image.png

On the one hand, Embiid and Doc threw him under the bus after they lost.  On the other hand, 14 guys played minutes for the Nets in the post-season.  Simmons wasn't one of them so he had the chance to beat the Sixers in the first round of the playoffs but chose to sit on his couch with a glass of wine instead.  Seems like a bit of a self-own.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, SalvorMallow said:

Be careful with the media... They like to take quotes out of context to make people look bad. I hate Joels whiney attitude and toxic personality as much as anyone, but the full quote is not nearly as bad as the snippet.

I agree his intention wasn't that bad but he's not a rookie.  "I can't win alone, me and James, we just can't win alone" is a terrible sentence in context or out of context.   

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

I just saw a remarkable stat. You guys may already know it but for me it was a bit of a shock.

Total points for James Harden in the fourth quarter:

Game 5:  0 points

Game 6:  0 points

Game 7:  0 points

Wow.

• Like 4
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

I just saw a remarkable stat. You guys may already know it but for me it was a bit of a shock.

Wow.

Haha it's like Ben Simmons all over again.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

Wow.

So can we call Lames out like we did ol Benni? 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Just my 2 cents on Embiid. 

He does so much...  I think that his quote was out of context.   I do believe that if you revisit us beating them a few years ago, it wasn't just because of Ben Simmons, but we feasted on the fact that Embiid would get tired by the 4th and that's when we'd surge.   Somebody would say... doesn't that put him at fault.   No..  The man would give them 40 points before being gassed. 

Philly's problem is Tobias Harris.   Harris is taking up too much capspace to not get you nothing.  You know how the playoffs are... good teams with good defenses will try to take away your best pieces..  That's when those Others that Shaq talks about have to step up.   Harris doesn't step up.. the way tht Brogdon does.. or the way that Smart does.   He steps up like an average bench player.   The fact that they brought in PJ Tucker to try to give you something is an indication that they know that Harris sucks. 

Maybe it's all doc's fault.  Maybe Doc needed to develop schemes to put Harris in a better place.  But nobody will take Harris and he doesn't produce and to this point, you haven't been able to develop another player to replace him. 

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, AHF said:

Wow.

It's like he was sand bagging it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Diesel said:

He does so much...  I think that his quote was out of context.   I do believe that if you revisit us beating them a few years ago, it wasn't just because of Ben Simmons, but we feasted on the fact that Embiid would get tired by the 4th and that's when we'd surge.   Somebody would say... doesn't that put him at fault.   No..  The man would give them 40 points before being gassed. 

Philly's problem is Tobias Harris.   Harris is taking up too much capspace to not get you nothing.  You know how the playoffs are... good teams with good defenses will try to take away your best pieces..  That's when those Others that Shaq talks about have to step up.   Harris doesn't step up.. the way tht Brogdon does.. or the way that Smart does.   He steps up like an average bench player.   The fact that they brought in PJ Tucker to try to give you something is an indication that they know that Harris sucks. 

Maybe it's all doc's fault.  Maybe Doc needed to develop schemes to put Harris in a better place.  But nobody will take Harris and he doesn't produce and to this point, you haven't been able to develop another player to replace him. 

You're falling for the banana in the tailpipe, dies-o.  Sure Harris has been trassh but with the most physically imposing player in the world, that shouldn't even matter...

It certainly shouldn't matter to the point where it's keeping you from winning series against supposedly inferior comp. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AHF said:

Wow.

Not just points scored:

Game 5: Q3 - 0-1 / Q4 - 0-1 / 2 FGA in the 2nd half

Game 6: Q3 - 1-2 / Q4 - 0-4 / 6 FGA in the 2nd half

Game 7: Q3 - 1-2 / Q4 - 0-1 / 3 FGA in the 2nd half

That's 11 FGA in the 2nd halves of the last 3 games of the series. Yes, he scored 0 pts in the 4th quarters, but he also only took 2 shots per game. I understand deferring to Embiid, but if you are supposed to be the 2nd DUDE on the team, you can't turtle the way he did. It really was Ben Simmons-esque. 

In game 6 alone, there were multiple drives where he was point blank at the rim without a big in front of him and he kicks to the corner for a 3 instead of just taking the layup. And that was late in the game when they could have extended the lead and then later when they needed an answer to Boston's run.  It was maddening to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Not just points scored:

Game 5: Q3 - 0-1 / Q4 - 0-1 / 2 FGA in the 2nd half

Game 6: Q3 - 1-2 / Q4 - 0-4 / 6 FGA in the 2nd half

Game 7: Q3 - 1-2 / Q4 - 0-1 / 3 FGA in the 2nd half

That's 11 FGA in the 2nd halves of the last 3 games of the series. Yes, he scored 0 pts in the 4th quarters, but he also only took 2 shots per game. I understand deferring to Embiid, but if you are supposed to be the 2nd DUDE on the team, you can't turtle the way he did. It really was Ben Simmons-esque. 

In game 6 alone, there were multiple drives where he was point blank at the rim without a big in front of him and he kicks to the corner for a 3 instead of just taking the layup. And that was late in the game when they could have extended the lead and then later when they needed an answer to Boston's run.  It was maddening to watch. 

WHY?  Did Doc cause this non-shooting?  If he didn't, why did he allow it to continue?  Plant his behind on the pine and send in his replacement.  I look to his coach for an answer but I've got nothing.

:ahf:

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Harris was fine against us.  He averaged 19.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game against the Hawks.  That is who he is.  He is overpaid, sure, but that is basically all you can ask from him.  If he is giving you 20 points and around 7-8 rebounds a game that is all you should expect.  Embiid averaged >30 points to go with almost 13 rebounds and 4 assists.  He was outstanding.  Against us, it was Simmons that was the big let down.  9.9 scared as **** points per game and a Harden-esque disappearing act in the 4th quarters.

Embiid still scored 11, 7, 6, 4, 6, 7, and 11 points in the 4th quarters.  That is an average of just over 6.4 points per 4th quarter which is a full game average of roughly 26 points.  Down from  his full game average of a bit over 30 points but not that huge of a drop.  You might like him to take over every game in the 4th but I really don't think he is the big problem compared to Simmons, Harden, etc.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I agree that a majority of the lifting has to be done by the MVP Embiid.   But these trash players have to contribute too.   A good team will put all of it's efforts into stopping Embiid.  At that point, trash players on Big contracts got to do something. 

This is gold.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

This is gold.

It is. It's just too bad that there's not a rated R version of it, at least, so it's sharable. A rated R version would, at least, cut out that word that truly deserves its demotion to the bottom of the English language toilet bowl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I’m not mad at Embiid’s comments when looking at the entire statement. Nothing he said is inherently false.

Where I take issue is the fact that, Embiid is the league MVP.

Not All Star, not Superstar, but actual NBA MVP.

You no longer get to share blame at that status. You are supposed to be him. You cannot afford to have a bad game in a must win scenario and say the team has to play better. 

Had Embiid just put up his regular numbers, this game is close. If he had another MVP level performance the Sixers win.

That’s the difference. Everyone has to step up, but everyone is not the league MVP. The onus falls on him at the end of the day. Otherwise, go play Robin next to a real MVP.

Here's where I find some interesting rhetoric with something that has been discussed elsewhere....

Jokic was the previous MVP for the last two seasons.   His teams have lost in the 2nd round and lost in the first round respectively.  In those years, was JOKIC NOT HIM? I'm not disagreeing with you... I believe that he had to do better than 15 points in 38 minutes no matter what.   But I want to see that same standard placed on every league MVP. 

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I’m not mad at Embiid’s comments when looking at the entire statement. Nothing he said is inherently false.

Where I take issue is the fact that, Embiid is the league MVP.

Not All Star, not Superstar, but actual NBA MVP.

You no longer get to share blame at that status. You are supposed to be him. You cannot afford to have a bad game in a must win scenario and say the team has to play better. 

Had Embiid just put up his regular numbers, this game is close. If he had another MVP level performance the Sixers win.

That’s the difference. Everyone has to step up, but everyone is not the league MVP. The onus falls on him at the end of the day. Otherwise, go play Robin next to a real MVP.

Agree with this.  Tatum did what a superstar is supposed to do in a Game 7.  And really, in the 4th quarter of Game 6 as well.  When pushed to the brink of elimination, he stepped up and carried the team.  Sometimes when you are the best player, you gotta do more than your own share.  You gotta do your share plus the 'others' share as well.  

Embiid barely did his own share in Game 7.  And he didn't do it in the 4th of Game 6 either.  He shrunk when he should have dominated.  But he didn't do it as bad as Harden.  Both guys sucked the last 5 quarters of that series.