• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Evaluating and How to Evaluate Coaching Candidates (split off thread)

JTB

10 minutes ago, sturt said:

Seems I needed to use longer words. Appears I lost you after "What"... 😉

She's getting treated by some as-if she's so distinguished herself, any team with post season expectations and a vacancy should scoop her up.

"Better"... what makes her better.

I don't hand my team with post-season expectations off to a rookie head coach, regardless of anatomy.

I might very well do that if my team is in a developmental phase.

Even then. She's one in the pool, and at that, she's not even necessarily the best of the pool. She's a reasonable option.

This is all fair.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, shakes said:

This team needs a hardass coach like a Thibs.  Someone who is gonna come in, piss off all the players by forcing them to give 100% effort every second they are on the court and will eventually get fired in a few years because everyone hates him...but in those 3 years he just might teach our team of lazy entitled prima donnas how to actually play hard and work for something.

There's a Guy...

Spoiler

David Fizdale could infuse Pelicans with necessary accountability and  toughness - The Bird Writes

14 minutes ago, shakes said:

lol forgot about Skiles.  One of my all time favorite players.   Didn't he fight Shaq in the locker room in Orlando?   ONly player Bobby Knight wouldn't shake hands with after he played his final game.

I think he still holds the record for most assists in a game.

Love Skiles.  Yes, bring him in!

"Bring him in" ..... to do what?  Coach this, or any, team in 2023?  Have you found and lost your mind, shakes? 

Eta. Galdayum, you and @Diesel taking turns giving terrible HC choices? 

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, kg01 said:

"Bring him in" ..... to do what?  Coach this, or any, team in 2023?  Have you found and lost your mind, shakes? 

I really don't care who they bring in as long as HE fits the profile of a hardass coach who is going to hold players accountable for lack of effort and doesn't care if that costs him his job.   This team needs a drill sargent.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Eta. Galdayum, you and @Diesel taking turns giving terrible HC choices? 

You won't know if they are terrible until you give them a try. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shakes said:

I really don't care who they bring in as long as HE fits the profile of a hardass coach who is going to hold players accountable for lack of effort and doesn't care if that costs him his job.   This team needs a drill sargent.  

This brings about an interesting question.   Did Mark Jackson help GS become GS?  Jackson was fired for having Bible studies or whatever but did he set the table for somebody like Kerr to come in and be successful?

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

This brings about an interesting question.   Did Mark Jackson help GS become GS?  Jackson was fired for having Bible studies or whatever but did he set the table for somebody like Kerr to come in and be successful?

I wouldn't touch Jackson with ten foot strand of rosary beads.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Jody23 said:

is D'Antoni going to be a long term guy

Mike's dad, Lewis, is a coaching legend in the state of WV. Coached his last game at age 67 in 1981 (died at age 103, incidentally, about 5 yrs ago).

Mike's brother, Danny, of course, has been head coach at Marshall for several years now. He's 75. But if he wasn't coaching at Marshall, he'd probably be coaching a high school somewhere. Loves coaching and loves his alma mater. He'll give it up when he's ready.

I just don't think Mike's wired in that way that he feels he needs to do another NBA coaching gig. Like his older brother, he's well-grounded and his own man. He might. But I don't think his mind is that he must. And that's an important distinction. He's put himself in a position where he can and will do what he wants to do when he wants to do it, as opposed to taking a job out of some desire to cement his legacy. So, a lot would have to be right from Mike's perspective. If it does turn out some day that he's offered and accepts, though, I think that says something good about the state of the team.

To Jody's comment, I think a new front office naturally aspires to a long-term guy if they can identify one they like. But define "long term." My two cents, long term in the NBA is 5 years. His typical run in any job has been 4 or 5 years. So, under that definition, I think he can be. He and his brother share a lot of DNA.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, shakes said:

ahh I gotcha.    Good question.    If the answer is yes it makes a good case for bringing in a disciplinarian.    

Has Thibs gotten more from the Knicks than Nate has gotten from the Hawks?   I don't think so.   Thibs has never taken a team above mediocre since he had an MVP Rose + Jimmy Butler. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Has Thibs gotten more from the Knicks than Nate has gotten from the Hawks?   I don't think so.   Thibs has never taken a team above mediocre since he had an MVP Rose + Jimmy Butler. 

He's coached 9 seasons and missed the playoffs twice.  He also took Minnesota to the playoffs which is about the highest honor you can achieve as a basketball coach.  Been to the conference finals once and the second round twice.

Nate has coached 17 seasons and missed the playoffs in 6 of them.  He's been to the conference finals once and out of the first round 1 other time.

Thibs gets out of the first round 33% of the time he makes the playoffs.  Nate gets out of the first round 18% of the time and has lost in the first round 8 of the last 9 times he has been there.

Besides results I'm more concerned with mindset and how their teams play,

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

The ol' Scott Skiles plan?

You left out the part about Skiles getting a couple chick's pregnant along the way.  True story. He low key has like 11 kids with 10 different chicks. 

Ya he’s the lil white Shawn Kemp.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, shakes said:

One of my all time favorite players. 

I wanted to punch 🤛 his face every night. If I was one of his teammates I prolly woulda choked his dumb a$$.

49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The thing I said about him is that he's definitely old and this may be his last shot...  but if he were to take a deal with us, he'd probably have his successor by his side (somebody who would pick up his ways and allow him to go upstairs).  Previously I suggested:

Warriors coach Jarron Collins opens up about family, foundation, and  success - Golden State Of Mind  

but there's also...

Report: Raptors 905 coach Patrick Mutombo joining Suns as assistant |  theScore.com  Lakers Rumors: L.A. asks to interview Raptors coach Adrian Griffin - Silver  Screen and Roll  David Vanterpool

Carter: Raptors return 'has to be something the organization wants' |  theScore.com  G League's Cleveland Charge hire Mike Gerrity as coach

If I was a guessing man.

D'Antoni, with a 2 year stint with Adrian Griffin as his Lead Assistant and will be the Coach in waiting. 

Vince Carter? NO.. NO .. hell to the NO!

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, shakes said:

He's coached 9 seasons and missed the playoffs twice.  He also took Minnesota to the playoffs which is about the highest honor you can achieve as a basketball coach.  Been to the conference finals once and the second round twice.

Nate has coached 17 seasons and missed the playoffs in 6 of them.  He's been to the conference finals once and out of the first round 1 other time.

Thibs gets out of the first round 33% of the time he makes the playoffs.  Nate gets out of the first round 18% of the time and has lost in the first round 8 of the last 9 times he has been there.

Of course, it's just not that simple. You know that. We all know that.

Parcells would say I can only cook the meal that you brought me the groceries to cook.

11 minutes ago, shakes said:

"... he said, after having written about 100 words on results."

Okay. hehe

No, I get it. You like the hardass imagery... it fits how you think, Scott Skiles admirer that you are.

Me, I don't think there's one way to get the job done. Effectiveness is so very complex. You don't solve all your problems just b/c the coach is considered a hardass or just b/c he's not considered a hardass. More complicated than that.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, shakes said:

Notice after the Bulls he's managed to win 2 playoff games in 5 seasons of coaching and has a sub .500 record.   His last team that achieved (which he was fired from) featured Rose/Butler/Noah/Gasol.  

I think the rep is all on the backs of those Bulls guys and he has yet to show that he's getting anything out of teams without HOF'rs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1