• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in talks with Snyder

Spud2nique

20 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I was just about to say the exact same thing.  We have a terrible habit of taking common NBA themes and acting like it's different when it comes to us.  Regardless of how well though thought of he was, LP was a "temp hire" brought in to manage the talent incubator.  Not knowing what was going to hatch, and consequently whether or not he could handle it, there was a high likelihood that he would be dismissed in short order for "the right fit."

Exactly how many times have we seen this process with ours and other teams in the NBA?

^^On point.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Nate's career is a lot longer than 2 seasons.  I think you can use data from other jobs to speak to his coaching philosophy and schemes without invoking the SAUSAGE defense.  And you will actually get better data there as well with the larger data set.

*sigh*

Disingenuous, my friend.

It is longer than 2 seasons. I'll admit that. How could I not?

And/but you're switching football fields, not just moving goal posts. Will you admit that?

That is to say, the assertion made was that (a) Season 1 was Nate coaching but, in essence, using the previous coach's playbook so to speak. And (b) that Nate was so much better off doing that than what he did in Seasons 2 and 3, which, it is asserted, were not successful. (That is the precise assertion being addressed. That is the football field of play here as originally proposed.)

A is accurate. B is not.

SAUSAGE refers to that specifically... the fallacy that Season 2 can be lumped in with Season 3.

No. They are very different sausages... irrefutably... the roster has a very significant difference in the starting line-up, and the roster has a very significant difference in the 2nd unit.

And. They are very different sausage sales results between those two seasons... irrefutably... there has not been a single game this selling season when we had to use some dog meat as filler.

Not one.

Compare that to 22 in the previous selling season... practically a 1/4 of the season.

The results of the other 60 games when things were normal weren't EC Finals quality as we hoped, so certainly still below expectations... but irrefutably, they were equivalent with what the eventual 2022 EC participant in the NBA Finals had achieved.

The sausages were different. The sausage sales were different.

But where we all can agree... and don't we all just love agreement, after all, right?... the disappointment is the same.

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They want Snyder ASAP because he will have a voice in the roster going forwards. There's no better way for him to make judgements on this than simply coming in and coaching.  In most ways he would have little to no pressure since everyone knows he's coming in at the 2/3 mark of the season without even his own staff around him.

The FO did not trust Nate's judgement on players and that goes back to when Travis was still GM. It is a big reason why Nate is gone. They do however trust Snyder and want to give him some real experience with the current roster before they make offseason moves.

I think it is actually pretty clever. Most teams sweat out a lame duck and then try to find a guy with so many other teams also trying to find a guy. This way we get the best guy out there and he gets basically 20 games or so work experience with the current roster. It is a classic win/win. 

If this was Nick or Landry's idea not to wait and go make a move now this is the kind of out of the box thinking that the Hawks could use more of. 

Yea the new front office has been making some smart well thought out moves since the reshuffle.

I like the way they are doing things.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

They want Snyder ASAP because he will have a voice in the roster going forwards. There's no better way for him to make judgements on this than simply coming in and coaching.  In most ways he would have little to no pressure since everyone knows he's coming in at the 2/3 mark of the season without even his own staff around him.

The FO did not trust Nate's judgement on players and that goes back to when Travis was still GM. It is a big reason why Nate is gone. They do however trust Snyder and want to give him some real experience with the current roster before they make offseason moves.

I think it is actually pretty clever. Most teams sweat out a lame duck and then try to find a guy with so many other teams also trying to find a guy. This way we get the best guy out there and he gets basically 20 games or so work experience with the current roster. It is a classic win/win. 

If this was Nick or Landry's idea not to wait and go make a move now this is the kind of out of the box thinking that the Hawks could use more of. 

Agree.  This on top of what I feel was a winning trade deadline for Atlanta somewhat makes up for the Kevin Huerter salary dump before the season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AHF said:

Booker = Selfish Coach Killer

said no one.

You haven't read the ton of articles about how former Sun's owner Sarver would go into the coaches locker room and say stuff that forced him to have to sell the Suns?  Them coaches weren't getting fired, they were bouncing on the Suns. Sarver got suspended by the NBA and had to sell the team it got soo bad.

Edited by Hawkmoor

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

That is to say, the assertion made was that (a) Season 1 was Nate coaching but, in essence, using the previous coach's playbook so to speak. And (b) that Nate was so much better off doing that than what he did in Seasons 2 and 3, which, it is asserted, were not successful. (That is the precise assertion being addressed. That is the football field of play here as originally proposed.)

A is accurate. B is not.

I'm not making the claims above and I wasn't responding to them. I was responding to your statement and pointing out why I think Nate was responsible for degradation of the team's performance in certain areas.  I do think his offensive philosophy is problematic for a modern NBA team and I base that on the evolution of his Atlanta team over time (taking more and more mid-range jumpers, etc.) and his history of not prioritizing 3pt shooting that preceded his tenure in Atlanta but impacted the evolution of the team in multiple ways over time once he took over, imo.

Unlike the claims above, I don't think he got handed a magic playbook of awesomeness and I don't think the tweaks he made to the offense were disasters immediately but that they did damage over time to arrive at where we are this season.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Just heard Horsewind on Eisen yesterday... incredulous that Snyder would take a job now instead of waiting until off season to take his choice of job offers.

Fwiw.

I do think he will have other options this offseason if he doesn't want to work with Landry and Korver.  He is a "highly valued" coach.  But if he does want to work with them, it doesn't benefit him to sit at home unpaid for the rest of the year and not use the remainder of the season to start setting the groundwork for next season both in terms of developing and assessing players.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, terrell said:

LP liked this tweet. Along with former Mayor Kasim Reed... Wow.

LP is the reason Coaches dont like Trae..

Serious question -- why am I supposed to give a crap what this rando thinks?

By the description of a "brilliant young coach in Lloyd Pierce" I already know he's a buster. Stop clicking that noise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not making the claims above and I wasn't responding to them. I was responding to your statement

Intepretation: Why, yes, sturt, I'm over here on this other football field. And why aren't you over here with me???

My friend, what claim do you think my statement... which came before your comments... was responding to???

I responded to what I responded to... if you're going to respond to me, then it is entirely relevant and pivotal that you understand the context of my statement, ie what prompted me to say what I said.

We can move over to your football field later, maybe. Not right now. At least, not me. This one is about SAUSAGE.