• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in talks with Snyder

Spud2nique

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm not disagreeing you with you in this post so much as connecting your post to the idea that LP is "highly valued" as could be seen in some of the "hit piece" articles where he is described as a "brilliant" coach who was run off by Trae.  It is highly unusual in my mind for a "highly valued" NBA coach to go be an assistant somewhere else.

A few example of highly valued coaches:

Mike D'Antoni when he left Phoenix

Bud when he left Atlanta

Thibs when he left Chicago

Billy Donovan when he left Oklahoma

Rick Carlisle when he left Detroit and Dallas

I think it is not unusual for someone who isn't highly valued to go work as an assistant.  Those would be people like:

Mike Woodson when he left Atlanta

Nate Bjorkgren when he left Indiana

Kenny Atkinson when he left Brooklyn

They can use that to rebuild their resume, work on relationships and bettering themselves, and try to put their hat back into the ring later.

Your comment about people not being fair to any former ATL head coach would say that his value is artificially hurt by having worked in Atlanta and thus he is definitely not "highly valued" as a head coaching candidate.

I feel like it's just a matter of how we define "highly valued" versus "valued."

I don't think LP is "highly valued," but I do think he's valued and will some day be a head coach somewhere again. Really do.

My problem with us here is that we know we do this... we get all hyped about a given coach when he first arrives, but by the time he's gone, even if we know he has his positives, we'll dig in and dwell eternally on whatever negatives he had/has.

I'm thinking about that even as I'm reading the orgasmic posts regarding Snyder... and what lies ahead. But whatever. Not going to change that. Can only call attention to it.

38 minutes ago, Wretch said:

This happened to me with an actual Hawks player.  My wife worked for a doctor that did business with Grant Long's medical supply company and he made deliveries in person sometimes.  He shows up there one day and they call me - of course I lose all my collective sh!t talking to him...and I just spew my Hawks fandom all over him.

Grant was legit surprised at how well I knew him, his stats, lesser known Hawks, and how long I had been following the team.  He kept saying, "Wow, you're a Hawks fan for real.  You're actually a real Atlanta Hawks fan."

My wife cleaned/cleans Lenny Wilkens grandkids teeth.. 

I got his autograph and talked Hawks a couple of times when I was at her office. 

Btw, I saw Grant Long at a Starship Gift shop on S.Cobb Drive a few years ago getting "medical supplies".. lol

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, djjob23 said:

It's important to note that unless you are in the locker room (I am not), this is all speculation. Regardless of other issues/injuries that occurred after ECF run (which I agree do contribute to those season records), I still believe that Nate's system and player development was worse than LP's and LP's motivation was worse than Nate's (thus possibly help balance out the records). Sadly, a coach's motivation is fleeting based on factors such as respect, trust, and results. No results can lead to no trust can lead to no respect can lead to no motivation.

There are so many factors to take into account when trying to compare one season to another, but I agree with @JayBirdHawk  that the offense after the ECF run got worse for this teams makeup that thrived in a fast paced system with efficient 3's and shots at the rim. The eye test confirms this. Nate's system (like JC said) would be a better fit for a more veteran group, which is not us. If we can get Quin on board, I think his system and motivation (if team buys in) is going to have us perform at a much higher level than what Lloyd or Nate were able to accomplish. 

YES! LET'S GET IT DONE!!!

I can't say it any better than I've said it.

2023-02-24_12-16-19.png

In fact, from now on, I'll just save us all some trouble... especially those who've openly acknowledged they come here but dang it they just can't read anything that's more than 175-ish words...

When you see SAUSAGE ... that will be the cue to recall the line of reason presented here.

We all good? 🙂

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I'm so damn excited!!

Yeah Im giving every player on the roster a clean slate when the new Coach takes over..... Nate was obviously stale as 50 day old bread..

Im Rooting for them BIG TIME.  Especially Trae(believe it or not) People think I hate the kid but I dont.. I just expect alot from him(maybe too much)

I give all of our players a hard time when they're stinking it up. And he just happens to be the head of the snake...

It's a live game blog after all.. lol

No more excuses though.. Its time to put up or shut up.....

Edited by terrell
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, terrell said:

My wife cleaned/cleans Lenny Wilkens grandkids teeth.. 

I got his autograph and talked Hawks a couple of times when I was at her office. 

Btw, I saw Grant Long at a Starship Gift shop on S.Cobb Drive a few years ago getting "medical supplies".. lol

I don't know if I could have a legit conversation with Lenny.  I would probably look at him and pretend I didn't know who he was. lol I was not a Lenny Wilkens fan...

• Haha 3

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, sturt said:

I can't say it any better than I've said it.

2023-02-24_12-16-19.png

In fact, from now on, I'll just save us all some trouble... especially those who've openly acknowledged they come here but dang it they just can't read anything that's more than 175-ish words...

When you see SAUSAGE ... that will be the cue to recall the line of reason presented here.

We all good? 🙂

In addition to how the roster evolved to have less 3pt shooting, I do think the performance degradation in 3pt stats speaks to his schematic philosophy as well and that it is not all about the COVID ugly period last year.  For the data set on that, you can go back to his coaching days in Indiana.  The two are consistent.

I don't claim LP or his strategy was great so I'm not going to ever say that "things were great under LP until Nate screwed it up."  I do think Nate coming in and slowing down the pace while still doing a lot of the same things was a nice combination during that transition season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

In addition to how the roster evolved to have less 3pt shooting, I do think the performance degradation in 3pt stats speaks to his schematic philosophy as well and that it is not all about the COVID ugly period last year.  For the data set on that, you can go back to his coaching days in Indiana.  The two are consistent.

I don't claim LP or his strategy was great so I'm not going to ever say that "things were great under LP until Nate screwed it up."  I do think Nate coming in and slowing down the pace while still doing a lot of the same things was a nice combination during that transition season.

All due respect.

SAUSAGE

13 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I don't know if I could have a legit conversation with Lenny.  I would probably look at him and pretend I didn't know who he was. lol I was not a Lenny Wilkens fan...

I didnt love him either.. lol

Btw, it was somewhere between 2005-2010 when I saw Grant Long..

Thats more than a few years ago..  Im getting old...ha

• Like 1

Korver wants Snyder.  He carries some weight in the front office.  I don't know how much.  It appears that the others are also wishing for / wanting Snyder.  Makes it easier to negotiate when all are in agreement.

Another great thing.  I haven't found a lot of negative posting here on the Squawk or on Real GM.  Knowing that you are wanted should make it easier to get this hiring done!

Someone speculated, if everything goes as planned, Snyder will be at the head coach's seat next Friday!

:smug:

• Like 1

I'm thinking they’re letting Prunty finish out the season.

No way Quin can just come in and implement his own system without his own coaching staff  IMO....

Just let him sit in the GM box with LF and evaluate for the rest of this season.. 

But that could backfire too, if Prunty leads us to ECF.. lol

Edited by terrell

2 minutes ago, terrell said:

No way Quinn can just come in and implement his own system without his own coaching staff rn IMO....

Just let Quin sit in the GM box with LF and evaluate for the rest of this season.. lol

That would be terrible though.  If you're a player, there's no reason to listen to the lame duck coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

No way Quin can just come in and implement his own system without his own coaching staff  IMO....

Just let him sit in the GM box with LF and evaluate for the rest of this season.. 

But that could backfire too, if Prunty leads us to ECF.. lol

I want Synder. He wants to implement his own system but can't. We lose a lot. Get Wemby. We are setup for 10-15 year success. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, deester11 said:

I'm going to try to move on because for me, LP exhibited no signs of being nothing more than a developmental coach for which I give him plausible credit for. 

I was just about to say the exact same thing.  We have a terrible habit of taking common NBA themes and acting like it's different when it comes to us.  Regardless of how well though thought of he was, LP was a "temp hire" brought in to manage the talent incubator.  Not knowing what was going to hatch, and consequently whether or not he could handle it, there was a high likelihood that he would be dismissed in short order for "the right fit."

Exactly how many times have we seen this process with ours and other teams in the NBA?

• Like 1