Would you trade Trae for Luka?

NBASupes

Luka will likely want out after next year. His team stinks and they don't have many options. While getting a top 4 pick or even getting the 10th pick could be used to get a player like OG Annuoby which could help, it will likely be in gist as OG will demand a max deal which is what's the rumors are right now on his trade value and with the new CBA starting after next season, it will change how teams spend money. 

So the million dollar question. Do you trade two years of Trae Young for two years of Luka. I would, why?

We just fit a lot better. 

Luka can be the 2 again which is what he was last season. He's a 3 this year since the Kyrie trade and it's been a disaster. Also, Atlanta has just a lot better role players who fit Luka. 

Trae is too small and Murray can play PG much better than he plays SG on defense. Murray will likely be a cheaper resign as well next offseason as teams aren't dying for two way PGs who are just solid on offense. 

Luka isn't as much a defensive liability and we got really good fits with Bey, Okongwu, Capela who's exp, JJ, Griffin, and Bogi. Atlanta would have a lot of options. 

That said, Luka has two years left after next year. He can go anywhere as an UFA. Trae can too. What would you do? Trae folks is from Dallas area. His sister went to TCU. Maybe Trae will go to where he was originally drafted and be willing to stay. 

What about you?

I know the Trae stans will be shitting on this thread heavy. The others will be pro Luka. For me, I would rather keep Trae but for Luka who's a bigger Trae. I think he would kill it with our personnel. 

Luka would not fix our problems. He’s a worse passer than Trae, worse on transition defense than Trae. He’s a better scorer but the problems with this involve the lack of perimeter defense and shooting from the starters and bench which Luka isn’t going to solve.

Luka and Trae on the same team would be a nightmare. People complained about Trae and Murray being my turn your turn basketball haven’t seen anything yet when Hawks got two guys who barely play off-ball dominate the game for 48 minutes. It will be a disaster. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Luka will likely want out after next year. His team stinks and they don't have many options. While getting a top 4 pick or even getting the 10th pick could be used to get a player like OG Annuoby which could help, it will likely be in gist as OG will demand a max deal which is what's the rumors are right now on his trade value and with the new CBA starting after next season, it will change how teams spend money. 

So the million dollar question. Do you trade two years of Trae Young for two years of Luka. I would, why?

We just fit a lot better. 

Luka can be the 2 again which is what he was last season. He's a 3 this year since the Kyrie trade and it's been a disaster. Also, Atlanta has just a lot better role players who fit Luka. 

Trae is too small and Murray can play PG much better than he plays SG on defense. Murray will likely be a cheaper resign as well next offseason as teams aren't dying for two way PGs who are just solid on offense. 

Luka isn't as much a defensive liability and we got really good fits with Bey, Okongwu, Capela who's exp, JJ, Griffin, and Bogi. Atlanta would have a lot of options. 

That said, Luka has two years left after next year. He can go anywhere as an UFA. Trae can too. What would you do? Trae folks is from Dallas area. His sister went to TCU. Maybe Trae will go to where he was originally drafted and be willing to stay. 

What about you?

I know the Trae stans will be shitting on this thread heavy. The others will be pro Luka. For me, I would rather keep Trae but for Luka who's a bigger Trae. I think he would kill it with our personnel. 

Both of them need to be surrounded by shooters...we have no shooters in the starting lineup so I don't think Luka would do any better with this roster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SalvorMallow said:

Both of them need to be surrounded by shooters...we have no shooters in the starting lineup so I don't think Luka would do any better with this roster.

We would have Bey next to Okongwu. 

We would also have Murray and Hunter

That's enough shooting. The issue we have right now and Capela and JC starting who provide limited passing and self-creation. Also Murray will be back to his natural position too which is key. 

I think we could win the east with Luka. Maybe I am much higher on Luka than you guys are. 

1 hour ago, givemesome1ce1 said:

Luka would not fix our problems. He’s a worse passer than Trae, worse on transition defense than Trae. He’s a better scorer but the problems with this involve the lack of perimeter defense and shooting from the starters and bench which Luka isn’t going to solve.

Luka and Trae on the same team would be a nightmare. People complained about Trae and Murray being my turn your turn basketball haven’t seen anything yet when Hawks got two guys who barely play off-ball dominate the game for 48 minutes. It will be a disaster. 

I don't believe Luka is worse on defense at Trae at anything but lateral quickness, especially not transition defense. 

Maybe I think Luka is better than Trae and you guys don't. 

There is no chance we can land Luka without Trae. No chance. 

6 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Luka is a great and all but I still believe that either one can be built around to have a championship team.

I'd trade both of them combined to get Giannis

We could have had Giannis... We actually had Luka. 

4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We would have Bey next to Okongwu. 

We would also have Murray and Hunter

That's enough shooting. The issue we have right now and Capela and JC starting who provide limited passing and self-creation. Also Murray will be back to his natural position too which is key. 

I think we could win the east with Luka. Maybe I am much higher on Luka than you guys are. 

But Murray is not a guy that runs a half court offense. He looks to score and go ISO. And until he increases his volume of made 3s and FTs, he'll still be heavily reliant on his midrange game.

Even if I were to concede that Luka is better than Trae, it's not by very much at all. And we'd still have major defensive issues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

But Murray is not a guy that runs a half court offense. He looks to score and go ISO. And until he increases his volume of made 3s and FTs, he'll still be heavily reliant on his midrange game.

Even if I were to concede that Luka is better than Trae, it's not by very much at all. And we'd still have major defensive issues.

• Murray
  • Luka
  • Hunter
  • Collins
  • Capela

How much more offensively do we improve?  And we'd still be vulnerable at the point of attack on defense.

I think the biggest issue with Doncic, is that he's relied on his superior offensive talent for so long, that he refuses to really get his body right so that he can become a better defender.

Imagine Jayson Tatum purposely trying to get Luka in isolation.  How does Luka even slow him down?  Booker destroyed him to the point that other Mavs had to help Luka on defense.  And if you have a star scorer that is also willing to give the ball up faster, you'll have what you see in this video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

• Murray
  • Luka
  • Hunter
  • Collins
  • Capela

How much more offensively do we improve?  And we'd still be vulnerable at the point of attack on defense.

I think the biggest issue with Doncic, is that he's relied on his superior offensive talent for so long, that he refuses to really get his body right so that he can become a better defender.

Imagine Jayson Tatum purposely trying to get Luka in isolation.  How does Luka even slow him down?  Booker destroyed him to the point that other Mavs had to help Luka on defense.  And if you have a star scorer that is also willing to give the ball up faster, you'll have what you see in this video.

I wouldn't start JC or Capela. I would start Bey and Okongwu and just use Okongwu to set screens all day and basically play 4 out like Dallas did against LAC. Difference is, Atlanta has better shooters with Hunter and Bey than Dallas had with DFS, and Dallas KP. I don't believe Murray can shoot better than THJ and of course Kleber when he does shoot, shoots it better than Okongwu but Okongwu is superior in every other way. While Luka is Luka. 

Why would I have Luka on Tatum when I got Hunter? Thats what Hunter for.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Luka is a superior in switches to Trae and I can actually hide Luka without worrying about my bigs doing too much. Basically Dallas has done this for years and went to the WCF and playoffs doing this. 

I honestly don't think Trae is anywhere near as good as you guys do. I see this a move to contending and I like our personnel around him. Murray defense will be great again. I never liked him off the ball.

I like Trae, but I did want Luka in that draft. I would do the trade, but with all else being equal with the rest of the roster, I don’t think it raises our ceiling that much. But I do think it would be easier to build around Luka than Trae. 

Dallas wouldn’t ever do that trade so it’s a moot point. 

39 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I like Trae, but I did want Luka in that draft. I would do the trade, but with all else being equal with the rest of the roster, I don’t think it raises our ceiling that much. But I do think it would be easier to build around Luka than Trae. 

Dallas wouldn’t ever do that trade so it’s a moot point. 

I think Supes is bringing it up, because Luka may force his way out.  It's interesting to see how the narrative has changed against Dallas, since they added Kyrie and gotten worse.  They tried to say this about Trae a few months ago, but all indications is that Trae is happy here.  Of course, that could change, but I think Luka leaving Dallas is a higher probability than Trae leaving Atlanta.

And if its easier to build around Luka, what mistakes are the Mavs making?   At least for the Hawks, we really haven't gone for it yet, outside of acquiring Dejounte.  Dallas has went for it twice.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think Supes is bringing it up, because Luka may force his way out.  It's interesting to see how the narrative has changed against Dallas, since they added Kyrie and gotten worse.  They tried to say this about Trae a few months ago, but all indications is that Trae is happy here.  Of course, that could change, but I think Luka leaving Dallas is a higher probability than Trae leaving Atlanta.

And if its easier to build around Luka, what mistakes are the Mavs making?   At least for the Hawks, we really haven't gone for it yet, outside of acquiring Dejounte.  Dallas has went for it twice.

Too many. Traded their only defender who had versatility for Kyrie because they needed a #1 option on offense outside of Luka. They missed on a lot of signings and trades. The KP trade worked till they traded Dinwiddle. Bertans been terrible for them. Can't defend. Kleber been solid for them but having a down year. THJ had a down year for them. Had to rely on Hardy to win games who's worse than Garrison Matthews. While Josh Green has been a nice offensive fit for them, his defense while aggressive isn't good and it's position limited like Griffin. 

They basically just couldn't afford to trade DFS. It crushed them. The other issue is the center position finally gave out on them. They couldn't do it anymore. Just tough breaks. Before the Kyrie trade, they were one of the best teams in the west but it shows you how much DFS did for Luka on defense because he's been getting killed on D ever since that trade. He's been looking bad out there. 

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Too many. Traded their only defender who had versatility for Kyrie because they needed a #1 option on offense outside of Luka. They missed on a lot of signings and trades. The KP trade worked till they traded Dinwiddle. Bertans been terrible for them. Can't defend. Kleber been solid for them but having a down year. THJ had a down year for them. Had to rely on Hardy to win games who's worse than Garrison Matthews. While Josh Green has been a nice offensive fit for them, his defense while aggressive isn't good and it's position limited like Griffin. 

They basically just couldn't afford to trade DFS. It crushed them. The other issue is the center position finally gave out on them. They couldn't do it anymore. Just tough breaks. Before the Kyrie trade, they were one of the best teams in the west but it shows you how much DFS did for Luka on defense because he's been getting killed on D ever since that trade. He's been looking bad out there. 

• Moderators

I don't think Trae will want to leave Atlanta.  I'm hearing that Luka will leave Dallas.  There is value to having a guy who wants to be there.  Does Luka pine to play in Atlanta?  I feel much more confident that Trae will be in Atlanta after his current contract than I do that Luka will want to stay here.  I would not consider a deal like this unless Luka convinced me he was in it for the long-term.  2 years of Luka does not justify losing out on the next 6 years of Trae to me.  The gap between them (for me) doesn't overcome that basic issue.  Obviously, I would be interested in how Landry and Quin assess the situation if I were Atlanta's owner but I'm more coming at this from the idea that I am the personnel guy running the Hawks and there I have to seriously factor in the likelihood that Luka leaves Atlanta in 2 years and Trae wants to stay.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

And if its easier to build around Luka,

It's hard to build around Luka.   Luka thinks he wants to play with Lebron.   Well, Luka's usage makes it hard to match him with anybody.  Kyrie is definitely no problem. he's just not what Luka needs.   Neither was Brunson but they made it work.  Luka needs Ja's team.   A hyper defensive team to hide his flaws.. and a bunch of guys who can score. 

Luka + Trae would be a problem... in a bad way.   

not only that.

Luka + JC + Hunter + Murray.. would be bad too. 

So I guess the answer is no. 

Just get Trae More shooters. 

• Like 1