• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

Why are we so keen to get rid of Capela too?  Okongwu is not a complete player, and I'm not sure he ever will be.  If he doesn't develop some offensive game, what the hell is he even?  On the plus side, strong character, big energy, fundamentally sound.  On the minus side, no ability to stretch the floor, tweener size, limited offensive game (no faceup game, no middie, unexceptional handle and distribution).  Of all the guys......he's one of them.  Capela is what he is, but he at least is signed to a good deal.  I'm afraid Kong will get massively overpaid and it will be Collins all over again.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, txsting said:

Why are we so keen to get rid of Capela too?  Okongwu is not a complete player, and I'm not sure he ever will be.  If he doesn't develop some offensive game, what the hell is he even?  On the plus side, strong character, big energy, fundamentally sound.  On the minus side, no ability to stretch the floor, tweener size, limited offensive game (no faceup game, no middie, unexceptional handle and distribution).  Of all the guys......he's one of them.  Capela is what he is, but he at least is signed to a good deal.  I'm afraid Kong will get massively overpaid and it will be Collins all over again.

I’ve thought the same, tx.  I’m curious to see how Snyder develops OO’s skills.

50 minutes ago, txsting said:

I question it as well.  All these WC teams want him because he's had success defending Jokic in the past.  But, if that's the case, shouldn't we want to keep him?

That said, the roster needs to be improved and he has value.  So the question then becomes, can we replace what he brings to the table?  I think it conceivably can be 'replaced' moreso than anyone else we'd trade.

So that's probably why they're at a point of trading him.

OO isn't fully a replacement but he can be a large part of it.  Full disclosure, my ideal solution was to basically swap their minutes and role.  But I kinda get why a trade is the move at this point. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I question it as well.  All these WC teams want him because he's had success defending Jokic in the past.  But, if that's the case, shouldn't we want to keep him?

That said, the roster needs to be improved and he has value.  So the question then becomes, can we replace what he brings to the table?  I think it conceivably can be 'replaced' moreso than anyone else we'd trade.

So that's probably why they're at a point of trading him.

OO isn't fully a replacement but he can be a large part of it.  Full disclosure, my ideal solution was to basically swap their minutes and role.  But I kinda get why a trade is the move at this point. 

All great points. 

I think it ultimately boils down to the fact that this is our last opportunity to get good value back for him. 

Next summer he will be an expiring and older. And it's entirely possible his production takes another hit this year, which would also lower his value. 

He's been great for us but I think it's our last chance to get back what we gave up for him (a first). And viewing the acquisition as 3 seasons of renting Capela for essentially free, that feels nice. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

:er:

Raptors fr gotta be the most annoying team to make deals with, like just take Hunter and CC and be happy 🙄

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Established players = More than one starter.  Gee!  They must think that he's something!  If this is true, why in the world would they even think of trading him??  Go ahead, keep him and pay him the big $$$ bucks that he wants!!

:smug:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, warcore said:

All great points. 

I think it ultimately boils down to the fact that this is our last opportunity to get good value back for him. 

Next summer he will be an expiring and older. And it's entirely possible his production takes another hit this year, which would also lower his value. 

He's been great for us but I think it's our last chance to get back what we gave up for him (a first). And viewing the acquisition as 3 seasons of renting Capela for essentially free, that feels nice. 

Good point.  This is the age old, trade a year early rather than a year too late.  His health is definitely starting to show a decline.  Waiting a year could be disastrous w.r.t. his trade value. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The most galling part of that tweet is the "via Mark Medina" part.  He was clearly reading from a script printed on Raptors letterhead.  Well, I guess it was still "via" Mark Medina.  Technically. 

air-quotes.gif

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, warcore said:

All great points. 

All of the above.  It will feel bad next year, but is a better outcome than losing a guy for nothing like we've done in the past.  He's on a trajectory going from high level role player to low level role player.  

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Good point.  This is the age old, trade a year early rather than a year too late.  His health is definitely starting to show a decline.  Waiting a year could be disastrous w.r.t. his trade value. 

it's like they are borrowing the "how not to trade John Collins" playbook and we all saw how that worked out in the end of us.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, txsting said:

My assumption (and we will see) is that Snyder is going to want to do things with floor spacing and switching that are outside of CC's skillset and so moving to OO as the guy makes sense.  Time will tell.  Quin certainly did good work with Gobert who has some similar limitations.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

I'm so sick of hearing about overrated ass Siakam

You would think this dude is PRIME Shawn Kemp the way some of u talk about him. 

Good lawd, Overrated as hell

One of my take aways from this summer is nearly every player in the NBA getting paid is considered overrated.  I'm personally tired of hearing how each player on a rookie contract is gonna turn into someone like Siakam.  

• Like 1

Good arguments for recouping value for Capela.  I could see that as being a good option.

Let's also consider the other way to go, which kg mentioned.  Keep Capela, but reduce his role (and value) and drive up Okongwu value by giving him many of Capela's minutes.  Then trade Kong at the height of his value and extend Capela on the cheap.  If Kong really does take a huge leap you still have the option to sign him if there isn't a good trade out there.  If he flounders you are protected by the prospect of extending Capela cheaply.