• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

43 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Isaac or Reaves for Murray? Didn’t you just say we shouldn’t do any dumb trades? 

Two-way players on good contracts and draft picks are involved.  It's much better than paying Ingram the $50 plus million per season he thinks he is worth.  

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Two-way players on good contracts and draft picks are involved.  It's much better than paying Ingram the $50 plus million per season he thinks he is worth.  

I think your concept is sound.  Just the players you named are the problem.  Isaac can't be counted on to last health-wise.  Reaves is not a 2way player.

And I imagine thIngram will not find any takers for his $50mil ask. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Mikey said:

Free throw rate doesn’t mean they don’t attack the rim lol. Watch BI this season before the knee injury he got to the rim and attacked gaps willfully. He’s shooting like 73% at the rim this season lol 

So why did BI take substantially fewer shots around the rim as compared to DJM?

Ingram:

image.png

DJM:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ingram:

image.png

DJM:

image.png

Almost 50% of Ingram's shots are 10-feet to 3P.  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rpp68j1pzx2o261szxt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Almost 50% of Ingram's shots are 10-feet to 3P.  

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952rpp68j1pzx2o261szxt

I think we almost have to make changes to the roster this offseason but Ingram feels like a mistake waiting to happen.  Maybe he'll but out but I feel like he is going to be more Glenn Robinson than Mikal Bridges.

(I only say "almost" because you there are deals that are so bad you would be better holding off and doing nothing rather than giving away DJM for $.40 on the dollar like the rumored Quentin Grimes + an unexciting pick types of deals.  If you return the same roster next year we all unfortunately know what to expect absent something huge happening like us drafting a superstar.  A WLOC roster return is a huge failure.  I'm just saying that a terrible deal is an even bigger failure.)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think we almost have to make changes to the roster this offseason but Ingram feels like a mistake waiting to happen.  Maybe he'll but out but I feel like he is going to be more Glenn Robinson than Mikal Bridges.

(I only say "almost" because you there are deals that are so bad you would be better holding off and doing nothing rather than giving away DJM for $.40 on the dollar like the rumored Quentin Grimes + an unexciting pick types of deals.  If you return the same roster next year we all unfortunately know what to expect absent something huge happening like us drafting a superstar.  A WLOC roster return is a huge failure.  I'm just saying that a terrible deal is an even bigger failure.)

My concern is this.  Is there a legitimate pathway to becoming a top 4 seed in the East this offseason?  Because I think we will have to be a top 4 seed in 2024-2025, or we are going to lose Trae in a year anyway.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AHF said:

Ingram:

image.png

DJM:

image.png

Does that mean he applies less rim pressure because in his situation he shoots less at the rim then in ATL where shot diet is an emphasis? 

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

My concern is this.  Is there a legitimate pathway to becoming a top 4 seed in the East this offseason?  Because I think we will have to be a top 4 seed in 2024-2025, or we are going to lose Trae in a year anyway.  

I'm not convinced that you can built a team around Trae that can win in the long term. Especially if you have incompetent people at the top. Which is a problem the Hawks have.

• Like 3

The best fit with Trae is a reasonably tall SG that can hit the 3 at 37 or above percent, get to the rim some and playmake some, but not be ball dominate all the time.

Too bad Kevin Huerter did not move up a level back when he was here.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

I'm not convinced that you can built a team around Trae that can win in the long term. Especially if you have incompetent people at the top. Which is a problem the Hawks have.

Then there is literally nothing that can/will be done to improve the team. In which case, who cares.  

Not really a fan for trading for Brandon Ingram. Ingram and DeJounte are essentially the same player. The only difference is that one is 6'7 and the other is 6'4. You're still going to run into the same issues in terms of offensive fit with Trae and both being mediocre defenders at their positions. 

45 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I will never buy into this narrative some have that you can't build a championship team around an elite offensive player like Trae Young.  The only player in the NBA that creates more scoring opportunities for his teammates is Luka Doncic, but the narrative isn't the same.  

Trae has good PPG and assist numbers, but his lack of size, defense and his style makes it hard to build around him and win in the long term. How many PG's like Trae win titles as the main guy?

Trae Young would struggle to shoot 40% in the 90's. He gets to the FT line, but his shooting is fairly mediocre outside of that. 43% shooting in an era with poor defense is not good. 

Trae is more like a Harden or a Westbrook. They are talented players, but the right team has to be around them to win with their ball dominance, poor defense and their playground style. I seriously doubt the Hawks built that team before Trae is really to bolt.

The best thing they Hawks can do with Trae is to aquire a SG with good size and versatility, and try and get a big man somewhat that resembles and AL Horford.... Someone that can come out and set good screens, shoot and rebound.

Trae would have been great for the JJ/Harford era Hawks.

Trae

JJ

Spot up shooter

Smoove

Al

It could have been great.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Does that mean he applies less rim pressure because in his situation he shoots less at the rim then in ATL where shot diet is an emphasis? 

It means you don't apply any pressure at the rim when shooting outside of 10 feet, and he applied very little pressure at the rim last year which is what you were claiming he did this season (at least before the injury).  I'm saying the past 4 YEARS he hasn't pressured the rim in a meaningful way and that includes the 2020-21 season when Lonzo Ball played 55 games.

What I'm reading now is that while he doesn't apply pressure at the rim as a meaningful part of his game for the last 4 years, you believe that would change and he spend a lot more time attacking the rim in Atlanta due to how differently Atlanta's coaches would utilize him.  Is that a reasonable understanding of your take?

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Probably losing Trae this summer anyways so…

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

It means you don't apply any pressure at the rim when shooting outside of 10 feet, and he applied very little pressure at the rim last year which is what you were claiming he did this season (at least before the injury).  I'm saying the past 4 YEARS he hasn't pressured the rim in a meaningful way and that includes the 2020-21 season when Lonzo Ball played 55 games.

What I'm reading now is that while he doesn't apply pressure at the rim as a meaningful part of his game for the last 4 years, you believe that would change and he spend a lot more time attacking the rim in Atlanta due to how differently Atlanta's coaches would utilize him.  Is that a reasonable understanding of your take?

Is rim pressure to you only attempts and not efficiency and attempts? 

I think it is reasonable to say his shot profile will look significantly different under Quin then it does now because that has been true of pretty much all the players under Quin. Now should it shift drastically no but it will improve 

• Like 1