• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

8 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

What if Trae told the FA “Get me KD, or trade me”?

Who here would rather have:

Trae + KD

or

Sarr + DJM?

48 hours ago I was worried about Trae asking out. Actually think it was probably more likely than not. But, luck was on our side yesterday and I think the sales pitch to keep Trae becomes much easier now with Sarr incoming. He’ll fix a lot of our defensive issues.

Trae/JJ/Sarr/OO + whatever DJM and Capela gets you is a way better pitch than where we were at on Saturday. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

I agree. But it’s a win now move, and what happens if Trae pushes the FO again for this win now move? He’s pushed them to trade for players before. 

What if Trae told the FA “Get me KD, or trade me”?

Who here would rather have:

Trae + KD

or

Sarr + DJM?

I guess it's possible but it seems extremely unlikely Trae would say get me KD or trade me. KD ain't even available. I think yall are reaching like crazy to make drama for some reason. 

All we KNOW for sure is Trae wants to and expects to win now. Everything else is speculation. 

Hawks just have to keep trying to put the best team around Trae possible. 

• Premium Member

I haven't really weighed in on the trade talk, but If we're talking moving one of our PGs

Just send DJ back to San Antonio, send those picks + whatever it takes to a rebuilding team that has a difference-maker talent we want, send the difference maker to us.

win/win/win

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, REHawksFan said:

There seems to be this attitude permeating the interwebs that selecting 1st in the draft precludes making win now moves. The team can do both. They can draft Sarr AND make trades to improve the team in the short term. 

100% agree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wretch said:

I haven't really weighed in on the trade talk, but If we're talking moving one of our PGs

Just send DJ back to San Antonio, send those picks + whatever it takes to a rebuilding team that has a difference-maker talent we want, send the difference maker to us.

win/win/win

Yeah, it is not going to be simple as that but good try tho.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

the NBA just gave us our shot at the #1 pick...we aren't getting another one, we'll more likely be Detroit winning 17 games and ending up with pick 5. 

Well with our bad luck combined with the Spurs good luck we’d probably be looking at 3 straight #1 picks getting shipped out to S.A.

I’m so thankful we won the lottery this year. Gives us the best shot at improving this team and hopefully making the playoffs so we don’t even have to worry about those picks. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, NekiEcko said:

Yeah, it is not going to be simple as that but good try tho.

I don't see why not.  San Antonio wants a point guard and DJ is a fantastic one.  There is lots of love between them.  He's a leader.  He's still young enough to grow with the team.  They've got room to absorb him and he's locked into a team-friendly deal.

If they want him and are willing to offer up lottery picks, the framework is there for a 3rd team to deliver the win now asset(s) we covet.

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

There seems to be this attitude permeating the interwebs that selecting 1st in the draft precludes making win now moves. The team can do both. They can draft Sarr AND make trades to improve the team in the short term. 

I think the reason for this is the top prospect (Sarr) is not polished at all.  But I generally agree with you -- the flip side of this though, is that we also don't have to sell everything and go all-in on next season.  It's possible to make moves around the edges, maybe even get future draft capital for flexibility, and end up with a team that can try to win while developing. 

Trae is only 25 years old.  He has a ton of high level play left in him -- he's still getting better.  The way some people here talk, you'd think he was 35 and we need to be going all-in on next season.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

I think the reason for this is the top prospect (Sarr) is not polished at all.  But I generally agree with you -- the flip side of this though, is that we also don't have to sell everything and go all-in on next season.  It's possible to make moves around the edges, maybe even get future draft capital for flexibility, and end up with a team that can try to win while developing. 

Trae is only 25 years old.  He has a ton of high level play left in him -- he's still getting better.  The way some people here talk, you'd think he was 35 and we need to be going all-in on next season.

Some would rather perpetually be in the lottery than in the playoffs.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Some would rather perpetually be in the lottery than in the playoffs.  

It allows fans to be ok with losing. "Bbbbbut didju see that one play our pick had?!??!"

It's easier for them to cavort with and get patted on the head by opposing fans who go, "oh yeah, we beat yall a** tonite but .... uh, your future is super bright.  Didju see that one play your pick made?"

Meanwhile, we'll be 7 years into this tank-build and we'll be on lists with the Kings and Pistons for longest droughts between playoff wins.  

On a related note, do folks finally accept the 'process' in Philadelphia was an unmitigated, colossal failure?  Judging from some folks' responses, seems not. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

It allows fans to be ok with losing. "Bbbbbut didju see that one play our pick had?!??!"

It's easier for them to cavort with and get patted on the head by opposing fans who go, "oh yeah, we beat yall a** tonite but .... uh, your future is super bright.  Didju see that one play your pick made?"

Meanwhile, we'll be 7 years into this tank-build and we'll be on lists with the Kings and Pistons for longest droughts between playoff wins.  

On a related note, do folks finally accept the 'process' in Philadelphia was an unmitigated, colossal failure?  Judging from some folks' responses, seems not. 

Tanking always fails.  

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Tanking always fails.  

I wouldn't say always, but generally with the way lottery odds were tweaked since like 5 years ago, it does not make sense to tank.  You can very easily end up like Detroit right now and it's not even an unlikely outcome.  Not to mention the god awful habits that are being developed on the court that you eventually have to overcome when you try to win (Trae has finally shaved most of his, with his recent improved defensive effort being the last one). 

We're very lucky to get the #1 pick and the opportunity to develop them by building winning habits, instead of throwing guys on the court their rookie year cold and watching them play pickup for their formative years (i.e jalen green, jabari smith, etc.) and then trying to unwind all that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Tanking always fails.  

Nah, tanking is a tool and not a philosophy.  Tanking, as an overall philosophy, simply perpetuates losing.

But you can use tanking in very limited scenarios and come out in a better place.  You just have to be intentional about not falling in love with the fools gold of it. 

• Like 2

Watching Dallas and it’s crazy how much better they are with a second short creator and a bunch of 3&D guys. Luka and Trae have very similar play styles and weaknesses, despite Luka having more size. 

Agreed that nobody is trading anything of note for this number 1 pick in a questionable year. That said, picking number 1 also insulates you in the event you do need to Trade Trae later. You, ideally, get yourself a legit superstar to replace him. 

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Nah, tanking is a tool and not a philosophy.  Tanking, as an overall philosophy, simply perpetuates losing.

But you can use tanking in very limited scenarios and come out in a better place.  You just have to be intentional about not falling in love with the fools gold of it. 

I can't stress enough how much I despise the idea of "tanking" and all of the conversations around it. Regardless of how it's defined, it really only makes sense (and only to an extent) to "lose on purpose" when Wemby, Shaq, Duncan, or LeBron is in play and your team sucks.

Otherwise...your team is just not good and you're REBUILDING. Losing, or sacrificing wins for growth, is just a part of the process. Tanking and rebuilding are two different things.

It's ok to rebuild. It's not ok to "tank," but I don't have an official opinion where a consensus generational talent is available at #1. In which case, I would simply look the other way 😅

3 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

Watching Dallas and it’s crazy how much better they are with a second short creator and a bunch of 3&D guys. Luka and Trae have very similar play styles and weaknesses, despite Luka having more size. 

Agreed that nobody is trading anything of note for this number 1 pick in a questionable year. That said, picking number 1 also insulates you in the event you do need to Trade Trae later. You, ideally, get yourself a legit superstar to replace him. 

Highly unlikely Sarr is a superstar. His offensive game isn't good enough to  become a superstar.