• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 Insider Information Thread

AHF

4 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

I'm still not seeing how salaries match up with the potential deal for Giannis. 

Giannis $49m

Capela $22m
Jalen $4.5m
#1 pick $10m

TOTAL $36.5m

We'd need to add a little more salary to that wouldn't we? 

We can match the salary by adding Hunter to the deal.  However, the only picks we can actually trade in the deal would be the #1 pick this year, a 2029 1st round pick, and a 2031 first round pick.  Milwaukee isn't going to do that.  We can't trade our 2026 pick or our 2028 pick because of the stepien rule.  I guess we could trade the Kings pick, but that may not convey.  

5 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Giannis $49m

Capela $22m
Jalen $4.5m
#1 pick $10m

TOTAL $36.5m

Maybe we would add Hunter and they would add Portis?  If Giannis were younger I may feel better about it, but I am apprehensive about this idea.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Giannis $49m

Capela $22m
Jalen $4.5m
#1 pick $10m

TOTAL $36.5m

I have a possible scenario as this... Bucks basically become what we would've been with Sarr/Johnson but they get Bogi too. The Pelicans get what they want for what we need.

This is the win-now move for the Hawks. Recouping draft capital is reliant on Bufkin growth, Capela getting you some protected FRP on an expiring.. but other than that you're in trouble draft wise.

image.thumb.png.8bd1f7120a2a8e5cd418813a1eff0338.png

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

We can match the salary by adding Hunter to the deal.  However, the only picks we can actually trade in the deal would be the #1 pick this year, a 2029 1st round pick, and a 2031 first round pick.  Milwaukee isn't going to do that.  We can't trade our 2026 pick or our 2028 pick because of the stepien rule.  I guess we could trade the Kings pick, but that may not convey.  

I knew we could've added Hunter.  He was included in @Sothron roster construction with Giannis so I questioned how we got to that.  If you're doing this kind of move, we'd have to use our TPE and MLE to fill out the roster with quality pieces.  There would be no shortage of vets who are title chasing that would accept minimums or take reduced rates to be part of a squad like that, especially since there should be minutes to go around.  I'd also see us as a legitimate buy-out candidate destination for the first time in a long time. 

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Why do so many people want to stick Brandon Ingram on this team?

I included him to get the Lakers pick to Milwaukee. That so far is the only rumored "clear path" pick to route to them.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

I have a possible scenario as this... Bucks basically become what we would've been with Sarr/Johnson but they get Bogi too. The Pelicans get what they want for what we need.

This is the win-now move for the Hawks. Recouping draft capital is reliant on Bufkin growth, Capela getting you some protected FRP on an expiring.. but other than that you're in trouble draft wise.

image.thumb.png.8bd1f7120a2a8e5cd418813a1eff0338.png

The floor spacing would be atrocious

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sothron said:

The source cleared me to reveal the name of the superstar.

It is Giannis. 

I am not saying it is going to happen but it is being discussed and it depends on if Giannis wants to come to Atlanta. This is from my source and from @NBASupes source. 

It also leaves the option to trade for BI and the team would look roughly something like:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Giannis

OO

The longer  version of what I've heard can come down to three options for our roster:

The above option, the "Push All The Chips In" is what I call it. We will be a  good team, no question, but with a scary future with no firsts for a long time.

2nd Option:

We trade Murray and AJ  to NO for BI and the Lakers 2025 unprotected first

We keep Trae. We do NOT trade for Giannis. We use the #1 pick on Sarr.

Team would be:

Trae

Bogi/Kobe

Ingram/Hunter

Sarr/either Capela or OO

3rd option:

We blow it all up. SAS have offered 4, 8 and all our picks back for Trae. We move him. We keep the #1 pick. We move Murray not to the Pelicans but to the Pistons or another team I've been told not to mention that has picks/young guys.

Roster would be:

(this is my postulating at possible draft results)

Reed Sheppard

Bogi/Kobe

Hunter/#8 pick in this draft

Sarr/OO

We have all our picks back as well as picks and young guys from moving Murray to either the Pistons or mystery team.

Which option do you guys and gal prefer? I think the 3rd option is the best one but the 2nd option is more safe. The first option MIGHT win us a title...but then we'll be in purgatory for years with no draft picks.

If someone can make a poll with these three options, please do so, you have my blessing. These are the three big scenarios the Hawks FO is discussing now and in the upcoming time to the draft.

Why not a trade Trae but keep Murray option? 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Yeah, I just take issue with people taking what they are saying as fact. You're not one of them.  A lot of the discussion being had is making a lot of assumptions about players motives and all that jazz based off second to third hand information.  

I find it fascinating how every post here is about trading Trae and not Murray.  We are in wacko world.  The likelihood of the Hawks having the best package for a Giannis trade are slim to none.

I'm with the second option.  That's really our only realistic path to success. 

Except I'm not trading for Brandon Ingram go get Vassell.  

1.  PG - Trae, Bufkin, Veteran Free Agent

2. SG - Vassell, Bogi, AJ

3. SF - Hunter, Vit

4. PF - JJ, Bey?, Gueye

5. C - Capela, OO, Sarr

You can trade Capela and Hunter if you want for an upgrade in other places.  However, Vassell addresses our biggest issue of point of attack defense and he'll be a top 8 shooting guard next to Trae.  He will probably be that next year honestly on the Spurs.  

This leaves you with options to use the MLE.  If you move Capela for example, you can go get Claxton. I know this isn't the most star studded lineup, but it's probably most realistic and I actually think will be a good defensive and offensive team.

You will not get Vassell with Murray.  

8 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I'm with you 100% man. Giannis is not realistic for us and it's crazy people are campaigning to trade Trae and not DJM. 

I don't doubt we've had internal conversations about Giannis, but this feels like KAT 2.0 already.

Draft Sarr and use DJM to go get a wing.

100% agree... everything else is KAT/Pascal talk 2.0

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ShooterSays said:

I'm with you 100% man. Giannis is not realistic for us and it's crazy people are campaigning to trade Trae and not DJM. 

I don't doubt we've had internal conversations about Giannis, but this feels like KAT 2.0 already.

Draft Sarr and use DJM to go get a wing.

I am with you on that but one question tho

What would happen if Trae does not like that package?  

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

You will if the Spurs want a point guard. 

No.  You won't, because unlike with Trae, you can legitimately get a DJM type on the market for cheaper.  

2 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I am with you on that but one question tho

What would happen if Trae does not like that package?  

Suck it up or request a trade.. if you request a trade be prepared to go to no-man's land for a haul of a return like Donovan went to Cleveland

• Like 3

Just now, KB21 said:

No.  You won't, because unlike with Trae, you can legitimately get a DJM type on the market for cheaper.  

Who is a better available point guard that's on the market? 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

I don't think DJM and Vassell are that far apart but agree it favors us and may take more than just DJM to get it done if it were to happen.  But DJM is a lot better than the available point guards out there.  Good wings are rarer which is where the gap comes from in my mind.

• Like 2