• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2023-24 NBA Free Agency 06/30 at 6PM

JayBirdHawk

1 minute ago, AHF said:

If the Blazers don't trade him they don't have to pay him either if he isn't playing.  That isn't a particularly painful scenario for them.  He sits at home.  They save $20M or so while they shop him and they deal him on their timeline.  

(And some actors can get tagged when they don't perform.  Kevin Spacey got hit with a $31M judgment from his non-performance in House of Cards, for example.  Most of the time the studio fires the actor and simply doesn't pay them if they won't perform and the type of "coaxing" that many actors need doesn't prove effective.  But that kind of coaxing goes on all the time in basketball too - it just doesn't end up being an issue if the player doesn't refuse to play.)

Tell me one time in the past three years one of these stars that demanded a trade did not get paid.  You’re living outside of how the real world works and focused on contract language that is rarely enforced.  It’s almost being deliberately obtuse.  

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, theheroatl said:
33 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm referring to a Jerami Grant type situation. It's possible and that is the likely avenue.

I don't follow.

But Jerami Grant was a free agent and signed a new 5 year deal. This wasn't an extension.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't follow.

But Jerami Grant was a free agent and signed a new 5 year deal. This wasn't an extension.

That's what I mean, they aren't going to extend but rather do the whole dance of going unrestricted for a new deal.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Tell me one time in the past three years one of these stars that demanded a trade did not get paid.  You’re living outside of how the real world works and focused on contract language that is rarely enforced.  It’s almost being deliberately obtuse.  

Ben Simmons refused to play and didn't get paid.  

What is complex isn't deciding not to pay the player.  It is that the player almost never refuses to play.  More often the team doesn't want him on the floor while they are shopping him for fear that one of more of the following will happen:

1. The player gets injured destroying his trade value.
  2. The player doesn't play well and hurts his trade value.
  3. The player helps the team win games which hurts the team's draft position once the player is gone.

Players aren't dumb.  If they are willing to play, they are going to get paid.  That is what guaranteed is all about.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

That's what I mean, they aren't going to extend but rather do the whole dance of going unrestricted for a new deal.

How does Murray become unrestricted for this upcoming season. There is no team or player option in his contracf similar to what Bogi had and did by declining his option and signing a new deal.

32 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

If you are a big enough star you CAN say that and a lot of other things.  The classic is the prima donna movie star, pop star, or other major entertainment act.  Their agent negotiates a big money contract and then the manager/director/producer has to coax them to go perform.  
Telling them they have to perform because of a contract?  Are you serious?  They loosen contract demands to get the results they want from the star.  In this case the contract limits Dame to a degree, but I’m not sure what else he has to do to demonstrate that the contract is not governing what is happening.  He’s not as free as a free agent, but he’s also not intending to play as a Blazer this year either.  

You're just talking about contracts. That's not really related to what's happening here. 

Again. Dame already had the chance to get everything he wanted in his contract. He could have asked for a no trade and complete leverage. He didn't. 

So know he's strong arming portland in the media to get his way at the expense of the team that entered into a good faith contract AND that fan base. 

Asking and getting 200+ million guaranteed while also being a free and clear free agent whenever you want is antithetical to a contract. It's not how this works. 

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

How does Murray become unrestricted for this upcoming season. There is no team or player option in his contracf similar to what Bogi had and did by declining his option and signing a new deal.

In 2024-2025 FA. It’s not related to this past week FA.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, ShooterSays said:

It’s trade me to ONLY Miami that I have the biggest issue with. 

If he gave them 5 teams who could get into a bidding war, I wouldn’t have such a strong opinion on this.

Well, that's different. 

Honoring the contract is team neutral because he still has to honor the contract regardless of who holds the contract.

But the trade request... I think that's based off of his prior loyalty to Portland. 

When DJ was traded to us, San Antonio did a class thing and told him where he would be going.  Almost a nod to them saying, because you've been loyal, we're sending you to a good place and not a shit show like Charlotte or not a place where you would have no fit. 

In a sense, I think that PTL should consider his request...simply because for several years, he remained loyal to the soil in PTL.   At the end of the day however, it's their prerogative. He only has so much leverage. 

5 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Unreal.  Very nice move for the Mavs, they're inching into contender status given how many teams will be regressing next year.

Wish it could have been us.  However, Grant is a Texas guy and he may well have preferred the situation in Dallas.  He may have gotten to choose.  I guess we weren't willing to give a first, but i would have.  Our window is now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Afro said:

You're just talking about contracts. That's not really related to what's happening here. 

Again. Dame already had the chance to get everything he wanted in his contract. He could have asked for a no trade and complete leverage. He didn't. 

So know he's strong arming portland in the media to get his way at the expense of the team that entered into a good faith contract AND that fan base. 

Asking and getting 200+ million guaranteed while also being a free and clear free agent whenever you want is antithetical to a contract. It's not how this works. 

That's what I'm saying, it is how it works.  All of these stars have demonstrated that.  When they want to play for a different team they throw your contract in the trash and tell you what they want and you do what they want.  There are limitations, but if Portland could enforce their contract with Dame they would.  They can't so they are moving him because he is dictating to them outside of a contract.  This couldn't be more obvious.

9 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Unreal.  Very nice move for the Mavs, they're inching into contender status given how many teams will be regressing next year.

Hate to say it but that’s a great move for the mavs and luka.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

In 2024-2025 FA. It’s not related to this past week FA.

So he'll sign a new deal after this season ends as a free agent. 

Anything he signs now will have to be for an  extension to the $18 mil remaining with a starting salary of $25 mil next season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

In a sense, I think that PTL should consider his request...simply because for several years, he remained loyal to the soil in PTL.   At the end of the day however, it's their prerogative. He only has so much leverage. 

If Miami had real assests he'd already be there.

3 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

That's what I'm saying, it is how it works.  All of these stars have demonstrated that.  When they want to play for a different team they throw your contract in the trash and tell you what they want and you do what they want.  There are limitations, but if Portland could enforce their contract with Dame they would.  They can't so they are moving him because he is dictating to them outside of a contract.  This couldn't be more obvious.

You'll have to refresh my memory, but I don't remember any stars demanding to be traded for 25c on the dollar. 

Edited by Afro

52 minutes ago, Hawkish said:

Unprotected pick swap for a team like Dallas was unwise.

that might be the most lopsided pick swap in history. Wemby will be in his 7th year and Luka will keep pushing good players away from DAL and they will likely be in the back of the lottery

7 minutes ago, Afro said:

You'll have to refresh my memory, but I don't remember any stars demanding to be traded for 25c on the dollar. 

Yeah lemme take you waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back to a couple weeks ago when the Zards traded Beal for some 2nd rounders. Remember?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JTB said:

Hate to say it but that’s a great move for the mavs and luka.

They got Seth Curry back too.. He was actually good in Dallas.

• Like 1