• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

12 minutes ago, terrell said:

Collins took PEDs and wrecked a season. Not only did he fail to apologize, he spent the following year yapping how he was a MAX player and All Star....

Oh, and getting on the mic in the middle of a season where he was the most disappointing player on one of the most disappointing teams in TEAM HISTORY, and getting upset at the crowd for there being too many opposing fans in the building. smdh

Sayonara.. lol

Well, maybe we won't have listen to you bash him all day long anymore.  Select your next target.  BTW, tell us who you do like, and let us trash him for a change of pace.

Edited by Watchman

1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

It won't be as big of an issue as it would be now if we have sent out a combo of JC + Capela or Hunter. But yes that is still an obstacle, I'm just pointing out what *could* still happen with this deal. 

Most people recognize that JC and Capela was not a good fit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Well, maybe we won't have listen to you bash him all day long anymore.  Select your next target.  BTW, tell us who you do like, and let us trash him for a change of pace.

Yeah make it about me.. lmao

7 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I never really cared much for his game though even as a prospect, and I will always have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth about the way he went about doing his year long media blitz in 2020-21 about how he thinks he's a max guy, which I am still somewhat convinced led to his little film room dustup with Trae because he thought he wasn't getting the ball enough to juice his numbers in a contract year.

And I do think his ability to charm the media has led in significant part both to him getting let off the hook for his steroid suspension and Trae taking the hit on his reputation for being a bad teammate, something that began with that film room dispute..

It isn't his fault he got overpaid, and the media is at least as much as fault for everything I described above as he was, but he isn't all that high on my list of favorite Hawks and I am not unhappy that the JC era is over.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Braves have been letting fan favorites walk out the door for years because Anthopoulos takes a hard line stance on contract value regardless of who the name is.

He has managed to bet correctly and replace outgoing talent with incoming or internal replacements.

Nobody is calling the Braves cheap or a Mickey Mouse organization.

Why is it with the Hawks, we feel like being financially savvy is such a black-eye?

We knew from day one of the rebuild, the plan was never to be an early exit playoff treadmill team. That's what we did for 10 years straight. It makes no sense to spend big on mediocrity.

We can debate the causes of our stale results, and JC is by no means the sole reason we have under-performed; but at some point, you have to make tough decisions and cut loses where you can.

We were stuck in a no win situation. Nobody was biting on the assets we wanted to move, nobody was offering fair value in return, and time was not on our side as values continued to drop by running the same roster back.

If teams are not willing to play ball with us via trade, then yeah, opening up cap room to be able to sign talent outright may be the way to go.

I am a believer in JJ's ability, and this Gueye kid looks the part as another developmental big to fill JJ's role. Bey is also a safety net if JJ isn't ready yet. We have options, we will survive. Not to mention the possible domino transactions to come after this move.

I am looking forward to the next chapter for the Hawks.

I call the Braves cheap.  They got rid of Freeman, then Swanson.  Riley's next, then Acuna.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

My personal opinion (just an opinion) is they're considering throwing that exception or at least a good bit of it at Rui Hachimura or Kyle Kuzma but that's just my speculation.

Hachimura?  Really?  Nothing says mediocrity like Hachimura.  It makes no sense.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, terrell said:

I never really cared much for his game though even as a prospect, and I will always have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth about the way he went about doing his year long media blitz in 2020-21 about how he thinks he's a max guy, which I am still somewhat convinced led to his little film room dustup with Trae because he thought he wasn't getting the ball enough to juice his numbers in a contract year.

And I do think his ability to charm the media has led in significant part both to him getting let off the hook for his steroid suspension and Trae taking the hit on his reputation for being a bad teammate, something that began with that film room dispute..

It isn't his fault he got overpaid, and the media is at least as much as fault for everything I described above as he was, but he isn't all that high on my list of favorite Hawks and I am not unhappy that the JC era is over.

That's OK.  Trae has always been punitive in his ball distribution.  Who do you like?  

4 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I am trying to guess next move if there is any. Could be possible we go after Cam Johnson or Jeramy Grant? I think Johnson would be an awesome addition but I don’t think we can get him, Grant I don’t like his fit with our team.

Capela for Planters peanuts and TPE

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

12.4 MLE.. 4.5 BAE 25.3 mill trade exemption???

How much can we spend?

MLE is Mid Level Exception

BAE is Bi-Annual Exception

TPE is Traded player exception which we got for JC

We can use both the MLE and BAE to sign or trade for 1 player making that amount or a combination of players making that amount.

• Thanks 2

Wishing Collins all the success in the world.  Amazing dude, real professional.  This is what happens when you sign a big contract and don't live up to it.

A lot of predictable reactions in this thread.  The guys who wanted us to be a top 5 payroll for a mediocre team were living in a dream world.  

The options this deal creates with the TPE and opening up the MLM are the actual return.  We are essentially players in free agency, where we weren't at all before.  This move is going to be judged more by what we do with our flexibility. 

The ownership is going to be on trial with desire to spend more than ever.  They can be buyers and I think we will buy.  Also, wondering if Hunter is next.  

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LucastheThird said:

@thecampster  or @JayBirdHawk Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we still add on to this trade since it isn't finalized yet?

A trade similar to one of these (obviously more pieces would be involved) could be happening. 

image.thumb.png.570a930d250fb471a40a8790fd6e22b5.png

image.thumb.png.d47843cd413ab2198726fe39f41849bd.png

image.thumb.png.b3e697d6d42469fa9e7e47b89cd027ed.png

If we get Ayton or KAT then I take back everything bad I said about this deal.

• Haha 2

And while I'm in agreement with most on here that I am disappointed in the return for JC, the fact is that I'll miss the person a lot more than the player.  I'm admittedly much more bullish on JJ than most, but I'm extremely excited to see the impact he'll have with increased minutes (assuming we don't sign/trade for another starting caliber PF).  I personally felt like JJ was outplaying JC during the second half of the year, so this may even be more of an addition by subtraction type of move.  Not because JC was a bad player, but because we may have an even better player ready to take his spot.  It's the same reason why I wouldn't mind seeing Capela moved (to give OO more minutes), or to a lesser extent, to see Hunter moved (to give AJ more minutes).  The added financial flexibility to make additional moves is icing on the cake.

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

I am trying to guess next move if there is any. Could be possible we go after Cam Johnson or Jeramy Grant? I think Johnson would be an awesome addition but I don’t think we can get him, Grant I don’t like his fit with our team.

reports are Cam 4yrs/$100 mil....

Grant turned down a 4yr/$112 million extension last year looking to get this:

• Thanks 1