• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

After a move like this, how can anybody say that we are serious about trying to win a chip.   Maybe it's true... Trae to LAL.   That move will save a whole lot of money and make a whole lot of Luka Lovers Happy...   And the Hawks will go back to the position that we're used to... In the draft lottery... for nothing. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

My personal opinion (just an opinion) is they're considering throwing that exception or at least a good bit of it at Rui Hachimura or Kyle Kuzma but that's just my speculation.

I don’t think people realize that trade exceptions this big have significant value to a team that won’t be under the cap any time soon. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, terrell said:

I don’t think people realize that trade exceptions this big have significant value to a team that won’t be under the cap any time soon. 

Boston has been effectively using these for a while.

6 minutes ago, thecampster said:

My personal opinion (just an opinion) is they're considering throwing that exception or at least a good bit of it at Rui Hachimura or Kyle Kuzma but that's just my speculation.

Are you talking about the MLE that was created with this deal?

7 minutes ago, thecampster said:

As a sign-and-trade? I thought you can't use the trade exception to sign players in free agency.

• Like 1

Coming off the Hawks' first-round playoff exit, Bleacher Report's Zach Buckley cited the Chicago Bulls' Patrick Williams, Toronto Raptors' O.G. Anunoby and Boston Celtics' Jaylen Brown as three ideal trade candidates.

NBA insider Marc Stein reported Saturday that Atlanta covets a different Raptors star, Pascal Siakam, but that Toronto isn't budging on a deal.

It remains to be seen whether Fields has the assets at his disposal to make a blockbuster agreement happen, but the trade exception created by shedding Collins is helpful in that pursuit.

For now, the Hawks won't earn a passing grade on the return from finally jettisoning the 6'9" forward. But it's tough to view the full context surrounding the transaction until more of the offseason unfolds.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, ATLHawks3 said:

As a sign-and-trade? I thought you can't use the trade exception to sign players in free agency.

You can't.  You only use them in trades, not in FA.  But this does open up a MLE exception for us that could be used in FA.  I don't think it is likely to be big enough to land either of them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

Coming off the Hawks' first-round playoff exit, Bleacher Report's Zach Buckley cited the Chicago Bulls' Patrick Williams, Toronto Raptors' O.G. Anunoby and Boston Celtics' Jaylen Brown as three ideal trade candidates.

NBA insider Marc Stein reported Saturday that Atlanta covets a different Raptors star, Pascal Siakam, but that Toronto isn't budging on a deal.

It remains to be seen whether Fields has the assets at his disposal to make a blockbuster agreement happen, but the trade exception created by shedding Collins is helpful in that pursuit.

For now, the Hawks won't earn a passing grade on the return from finally jettisoning the 6'9" forward. But it's tough to view the full context surrounding the transaction until more of the offseason unfolds.

I don't see how a trade exception helps in the pursuit of Siakam, because I don't see the Raptors just dealing him for draft picks and an exception.  They want real talent in return.  That trade exception cannot be packaged with players from what I can gather.

• Premium Member
Just now, JustSomeGuy said:

@Diesel can you elaborate on your JJ take? Yes he came off the bench but it wasn’t like he only played in garbage time. He got quality minutes against NBA rotation players and produced.

Sounds like he’s trending upwards to me 

Love to.

When you come off the bench, you have the luxury of playing against guys who didn't game plan for you.   Normally, you are lesser known because you're coming off the bench.   Moreover, you're catching starters that are tired and you're catching 2nd stringers who you may be better than.   So it's EASY to look good when you come off the bench.   It's hard to "keep that same energy" when you start.   

One place where you can see a measurable difference is "the playoffs".   In a playoff series, the other team gets to do some advanced scouting.   They get to game plan for all 12 players.   Somebody ( @thecampster) said that JJ crushed JC this past season.   However, what happened in the playoffs?

image.png

image.png

The eye test was no better.   

But we're going to be put in a situation where we will play JJ.  We're hoping he's our Draymond but he better get in the weight room.