• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming Hawks fans don't ready think its a good idea to pay that backcourt over 70 mil perseason

Hawks fans come when the team wins. Not sure what you are talking about. Most Hawks fans are clueless about salaries and CBA. They want to wear Trae Young jerseys.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Ressler would not let them trade JC last year. He also vetoed another trade to OKC two years ago. 

Now we trade JC for ...this isn't even peanuts. KH at least got us a first rounder back. JC gave us back LT relief for Ressler and a huge TPE that the FO will try to use to get a guy.

Emphasis on try. As myself and other insiders warn you guys and gal it takes two teams to make a trade. In addition two GMs can agree to a trade and one own can veto it. See above for glaring examples.

Is this insider info or your opinion? Might want to indicate that from now on because I'm receiving this as intertwined.

Edited by theheroatl

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Hawks fans come when the team wins. Not sure what you are talking about. Most Hawks fans are clueless about salaries and CBA. They want to wear Trae Young jerseys.

What kind of response is this?  Are you a casual?

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

This really is a Mickey Mouse organization.    Combo of an owner who clearly can't afford to own an NBA team and management that is either wholly incompetent or just handcuffed by the owner.

The odds of this franchise ever being successful are severely low.  With the current ownership I would say there's a less than 5% chance this team ever wins a title.

• Sad 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Is this insider info or your opinion? Might want to indicate that from now on because I'm receiving this as intertwined.

FWIW, I interpreted this as at least partially in the former category and moved it to the insider thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What kind of response is this?  Are you a casual?

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY not a casual. But I'm trying to see any kind of vision or expectations in your post. I'd like you to explain what alternative you would like to see besides a DJM and Trae backcourt. I'm assuming you dislike one or the other or both and want to trade for what??..... I'm ready to understand.

1 minute ago, theheroatl said:

Oh, I'm DEFINITELY not a casual. But I'm trying to see any kind of vision or expectations in your post. I'd like you to explain what alternative you would like to see besides a DJM and Trae backcourt. I'm assuming you dislike one or the other or both and want to trade for what??..... I'm ready to understand.

Now that's exactly what a casual would say. 😉

I kid, I kid. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I'm not sure if this deal was made as a precursor to another larger deal, but in a vacuum, this looks really bad. 

I'll be very surprised if we go into the season opener with just the activity that has happened and nothing further.

As I've preached over and over... WE MUST IMPROVE OUR DEFENSE. Somehow, someway, I don't care who or how or how much, but we've been in the bottom 1/3rd in defense for 3 years now.

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

I'm not sure if this deal was made as a precursor to another larger deal, but in a vacuum, this looks really bad. 

Just now, theheroatl said:

I'll be very surprised if we go into the season opener with just the activity that has happened and nothing further.

It is totally fair to say that we need to see the full offseason before judging.  But I think to marry these two posts the activity going forward needs to include something that really moves the needle and not just minor moves to finish off the roster if people are going to feel differently about this deal.

Like getting rid of salary in order to land Dikembe Mutombo felt great.  Getting rid of Huerter for Justin Holiday and extras felt pretty terrible.

1 minute ago, thecampster said:

One other note, the trade of Collins creates a $25.3 million trade exception.  This is a very Bostonesque move.  We still have the following exceptions available.  

Also, they aren't done.

I don't actually see the exceptions if you posted them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

One other note, the trade of Collins creates a $25.3 million trade exception.  This is a very Bostonesque move.  We still have the following exceptions available.  

Also, they aren't done.

I'm hoping the exception is the point.  It does give us an avenue to improve the team that we did not have.  Still going to have to get it by Ressler though, because any significant use of this TPE throws us right back into the tax.