• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

John Collins Traded - Fare thee well!

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, terrell said:

Yes

Fact is based on last year's production his contract was easily a bottom 5 contract in the NBA. I would rather bet on him rebounding to start the year and then seeing if you can ship him to a team in need at the deadline than just dumping him for nothing personally. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ATLHawks3 said:

His value was THAT low? Wow.

I was still somehow holding out hope that we’d get maybe a late first for JC, but I guess that’s how little GMs thought of his deal. Anyways, hopefully there are more moves to come. 

Edited by terrell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Bye JC. 

Good player. Bad contract. That said, I will miss him. True leader in the locker room.

I said when we signed JC to that inflated contract that worst case scenario, we'll be able to drop him for nothing. His stock has gone significantly down since then, and we still ended up getting a cheap expiring, 25.3m trade exception, and a 2nd in return... 

Edited by terrell
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I said when we signed JC to that inflated contract that worst case scenario, we'll be able to drop him for nothing. His stock has gone significantly down since then, and we still ended up getting a cheap expiring, 25.3m trade exception, and a 2nd in return... 

The 25.3m exception sounds impressive, but what are the odds we actually use it this year? It expires after one season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Fact is based on last year's production his contract was easily a bottom 5 contract in the NBA. I would rather bet on him rebounding to start the year and then seeing if you can ship him to a team in need at the deadline than just dumping him for nothing personally. 

The best thing about the trade is it opens up playing time for Bey, JJ, and AJG. That is a win in my opinion. Plus, we did not have to attach any assets to JC.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

The 25.3m exception sounds impressive, but what are the odds we actually use it this year? It expires after one season.

I’m fine using Gay, the 2nd, and the trade exception in another deal. lol

• Premium Member

Oh that would be ideal. I'm just skeptical the front office is looking to add another 25 million of salary considering their track record of nickle and diming the last two years. Seems more likely they are clicking their heels at getting 20 million back in salary and will leave it at that. 

2 minutes ago, akay said:

JJ is gonna step up and be our Draymond x factor player.

This trade is a blessing for the young ones

Hopefully this scenario plays out. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, terrell said:

The trade exception can't be combined with anything but picks so if you traded it with Gay that would be two separate deals - one for the exception and one for Gay.  That isn't unusual but just pointing out that we can't combine the exception with another player to get someone worth more than $25M or anything.  (Unless I am remembering incorrectly how these work which is always possible.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

The trade exception can't be combined with anything but picks so if you traded it with Gay that would be two separate deals - one for the exception and one for Gay.  That isn't unusual but just pointing out that we can't combine the exception with another player to get someone worth more than $25M or anything.  (Unless I am remembering incorrectly how these work which is always possible.)

Interesting. How come Gay was traded + Exception to us though?

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, thecampster said:

1 thing to consider....

Statistically speaking, the last 30 games, Jalen Johnson wiped the floor with JC stats wise, effectiveness wise, defensively vs his man.

It easier to look good when you're not the starter.   That's no consideration. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

All of yall trade JC fans... finally got your wish.  I hope you are happy.

Well Wishes to JC!  She them what you got!

You should be happy too..

I think playing in that division/conference will help JC look better. The Northwest Division doesn't have any PFs worth fearing on defense other than KAT, who doesn't use his size advantage much. Elsewhere in that conference, there aren't as many of the physical length/size matchups - Giannis, Randle, Siakam, etc. - that really highlighted Collins' defensive weaknesses. It will get ugly against the Lakers and maybe the Kings, but the rest of that conference isn't stacked with physical and long players at the 4 spot. 

So he might just SHE them what he got... lol

• Haha 1