• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Room check: Kobe Bufkin

sillent

I'll be completely honest I plan on using this as a reference for the young man Kobe Bufkin to see how he ages in this league.

I personally think we have a great player on our hands.

I felt that with Mo G the moment I watched his highlights and I'm honestly impressed with all our rookies from their poise to their interviews.

Since most of us can agree that we are excited about Mohammed Gueye and many don't have an issue with Seth Lundy I wanted to see the squawks overall consensus on Kobe Bufkin.

What do you all think about Kobe Bufkin and where do you project his career to go?

It's interesting, if you look at Hawks related media Twitter it's full of people that love Bufkin and continually have thrown him flowers the entire summer league. Talking about things like how advanced he is for his age and how many things he already does at a high level, while acknowledging he still has to adjust to the NBA game.

But then you come here and are mostly told (and i emphasize mostly, not all) that he's a bum that is years away from being a major contributor. 

I'm really torn on who to believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kobe has a long career ahead of him. 
That could mean he becomes a DJM or Maxey type, or maybe just a Kent Bazemore.

I don’t see a great player, but I do see a great competitor. His ceiling is probably a high level 6th man. I doubt his best days come in a Hawks uniform, thus I am not attached by any means.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

It's interesting, if you look at Hawks related media Twitter it's full of people that love Bufkin and continually have thrown him flowers the entire summer league. Talking about things like how advanced he is for his age and how many things he already does at a high level, while acknowledging he still has to adjust to the NBA game.

But then you come here and are mostly told (and i emphasize mostly, not all) that he's a bum that is years away from being a major contributor. 

I'm really torn on who to believe.

Guys focusing on specific plays or guys focusing on the entire game, all plays being included. Who should you ride with, the answer is obvious, the fight you are having with yourself is who do you want to ride with. It's clear that's the Hawks twitter guys or you wouldn't have brought them up

2 hours ago, JustSomeGuy said:

I think he will be a solid player, with Trae and DJ it probably won’t be here long term, which kind of makes it a wasted pick.

I really hate that we passed on Whitmore though. 

A team needs to go at least 9 or 10 players deep for a playoff run. Just because a guy might never be a starter doesn't make it a waste pick. 

And we had Trae and DJM last year, but that didn't stop our biggest need from being another player who could handle the ball and playmake for others. There is a reason that type of player is who the Hawks targeted in the draft.

Not sure attempting to address your biggest hole on the roster should be considered a wasted pick, especially outside the lottery.

• Thanks 1

I have zero takeaway from his summer league run. Without knowing the exact plan, it felt like we asked Mo + Seth to play a role they would be asked to play. And they both looked pretty good playing that role. 

with Kobe, it felt like we asked the guy who should be playing an off ball, lower usage role at this stage to play like Jordan Clarkson. And that was an inefficient chuckfest with the occasional flash. I’d like to see how we actually plan to use him, but not a SL to remember. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, sillent said:

I'll be completely honest I plan on using this as a reference for the young man Kobe Bufkin to see how he ages in this league.

I personally think we have a great player on our hands.

I felt that with Mo G the moment I watched his highlights and I'm honestly impressed with all our rookies from their poise to their interviews.

Since most of us can agree that we are excited about Mohammed Gueye and many don't have an issue with Seth Lundy I wanted to see the squawks overall consensus on Kobe Bufkin.

What do you all think about Kobe Bufkin and where do you project his career to go?

I am not a fan.  In my mind, it will be hard to ever feel good about the Bufkin pick, knowing we had Whitmore on the board and passed on him.

• Like 1

Bufkin summer league.  33.3% from the floor, 13.8% from 3.  15 FGA/g to get 14 pts. 3.6APG, 4.6 TO, .9 steals, -3.  in only 27 minutes per game.  This means he missed a shot every 2.7 minutes minutes. Had a turnover every 5.5 minutes. IE, as the point guard he was personally responsible for a bad possession every 1.8 minutes.

That's a 5 game sample and the numbers were fairly consistent game to game.  He is really not ready.  He dribbled into double teams that resulted in turnovers every single game. IMHO, he's 3 years from being a worthwhile contributor and needs serious time at College Park.

Edited by thecampster
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I am not a fan.  In my mind, it will be hard to ever feel good about the Bufkin pick, knowing we had Whitmore on the board and passed on him.

I appreciate your opinion and all of y'alls honest opinions.

Honestly from what I'm hearing those that dislike Kobe the most mainly have those sentiments because they really wanted Cam Whitemore.

I'm torn on anyone named Cam at this point. It's undeniable that every Cam in the league can ball. Ironically I wanted Cam Johnson before we picked Cam Reddish but once we got Reddish and I saw his skillset I was an ultimate fan.

Problem with the Cams is most of them although highly talented for some reason have had a hard time getting time on the court. That leads me to believe something about their attitudes, swag or behavior doesn't fit with the "politics" of the NBA. Cam Whitemore came into the draft already looking that way and I don't doubt that he will probably go thru the same "political" struggles in this league.

Still I get it because I was looking at Derek Lively before the draft even though I know it usually takes Centers time to develop. 

The fan in me was like once we made our choice focus on whose a Hawk and what they can bring.

I state again I really think Kobe Bufkin will be a high level player but time will tell.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Bufkin summer league.  33.3% from the floor, 13.8% from 3.  15 FGA/g to get 14 pts. 3.6APG, 4.6 TO, .9 steals, -3.  in only 27 minutes per game.  This means he missed a shot every 2.7 minutes minutes. Had a turnover every 5.5 minutes. IE, as the point guard he was personally responsible for a bad possession every 1.8 minutes.

That's a 5 game sample and the numbers were fairly consistent game to game.  He is really not ready.  He dribbled into double teams that resulted in turnovers every single game. IMHO, he's 3 years from being a worthwhile contributor and needs serious time at College Park.

Oh well going by that we're fools for trading our best "summer league player" to the Rockets 😂

Screenshot_20230717-072338.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

I thought Whitmore had a injury and he gave poor workouts...

You can't judge Bufkin based on Whitmore that makes no sense.

Question:  What kind of player do you think Bufkin will be.

Camp's Answer:  Cam Whitmore was still on the board. 

HUH??

• Haha 4

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, sillent said:

Honestly from what I'm hearing those that dislike Kobe the most mainly have those sentiments because they really wanted Cam Whitemore.

I'm torn on anyone named Cam at this point. It's undeniable that every Cam in the league can ball. Ironically I wanted Cam Johnson before we picked Cam Reddish but once we got Reddish and I saw his skillset I was an ultimate fan.

Problem with the Cams is most of them although highly talented for some reason have had a hard time getting time on the court. That leads me to believe something about their attitudes, swag or behavior doesn't fit with the "politics" of the NBA. Cam Whitemore came into the draft already looking that way and I don't doubt that he will probably go thru the same "political" struggles in this league.

Still I get it because I was looking at Derek Lively before the draft even though I know it usually takes Centers time to develop. 

The fan in me was like once we made our choice focus on whose a Hawk and what they can bring.

I state again I really think Kobe Bufkin will be a high level player but time will tell.

I say that we have to wait and see.  I have seen him make some nice passes but for my taste, he has to put on some weight and he should be in college park developing. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, sillent said:

I feel you here, but there is a talent gap.  My main hope for Bufkin is his game isn't too dissimilar from Trae's.  If ever there was a mentor to help fix what's broken, Trae's that dude.  He's gonna get that opportunity in practice. I'll be interested to see him run in training camp against Trae, may go to the open practice this year just to see it.  My guess is he'll get torched.  Here's to hoping I'm wrong. He's a Hawk now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1