• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Room check: Kobe Bufkin

sillent

3 hours ago, thecampster said:

Bufkin summer league.  33.3% from the floor, 13.8% from 3.  15 FGA/g to get 14 pts. 3.6APG, 4.6 TO, .9 steals, -3.  in only 27 minutes per game.  This means he missed a shot every 2.7 minutes minutes. Had a turnover every 5.5 minutes. IE, as the point guard he was personally responsible for a bad possession every 1.8 minutes.

That's a 5 game sample and the numbers were fairly consistent game to game.  He is really not ready.  He dribbled into double teams that resulted in turnovers every single game. IMHO, he's 3 years from being a worthwhile contributor and needs serious time at College Park.

I'm leaning toward this opinion, if I'm being honest.  However, I'm willing to give the guy some development time.  Might as well.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

You used them as part of your argument, or at least took the time to quote them, and I'm saying they're not relevant -- rather discuss what we saw/didn't see on the court

That's fair...I'll reform.  The stats back up what my eye test saw.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, thecampster said:

That's fair...I'll reform.  The stats back up what my eye test saw.

He's definitely going to be the first big showcase of our new coaching staff.  I hope they prove out what we're all hoping for and refine him into a solid rotation piece.  I'm excited about some of the other projects on that roster as well.

• Like 2

Bufkin's peak is Jordan Clarkson / Lindsey Hunter

I'm not going to panic over Summer League, because he has way too much good tape in college that indicates that he can be a decent player in the NBA.

We shouldn't even attempt to groom him as a PG, because he doesn't have PG instincts.  His instincts, even in college, was that of a scorer and not of a facilitator.  An athlete of his caliber could be productive in the right system, where he's playing with a guard or forward who can pass the ball.

The thing I was looking for, was the defense.  I wanted to see if the defense that he displayed in college, would be evident in Summer League.  I saw it a little, but not as much as I thought I would see it.

I do not like the approach he took to Summer League.  He was pressing way too hard to get his offense, despite coming from a system at Michigan that prides itself on ball and player movement.  All he had to do is "play his game", and he was acting like he was trying to prove that he was the best player in the draft.

I think people would feel a lot better about Kobe, if he eliminated 1/2 the shots he forced in Summer League.

Send him directly to College Park, and let's see if we can work out some of the flaws in his game.  If he were included in a trade package, I wouldn't be mad at that either, seeing that he would be competing for minutes with DJ and AJ anyway.

• Like 2

I wasn't happy with the pick for same reason as some others have stated -- Whitmore was on the board and he was the obvious BPA. 

I can at least say that of the PGs available, they didn't take JHS... I'd prefer Bufkin over him.... I just thought there were better options at a greater position of need -- forward. 

For now, I will give him time to develop and see if he can change my mind about the pick. 

Bufkin is kind of a messy PG at this point, sloppy, lots of mental mistakes and turnovers, bad 3pt shooting etc.

He has potential but probably not this year. Id like to see how he handles SG.

He is not a day one star but it seems he has some resiliency so lets see how he can grow.

• Premium Member

Simply put, he's a development project and that is fine. He shouldn't and doesn't need to play this season. As long as we hold on to Patty, he can play games in College Park when we're on the road and practice with the NBA guys when we're at home.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Bufkin needs time.  As I've said all along, this pick was not likely ever to play.  Even if it was, it'd be in a supporting role.

Exactly this.

Before the draft, It was noted from the insiders that the Hawks were looking to trade vet(s) + #15 pick for a roster upgrade and reduce salary since the front office/coaches didn't see the #15 being able to crack the rotation and contribute immediately. I don't think that has changed regardless of his SL performance.

Given our current roster construction, nothing wrong if he spends ample time with CPS.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Exactly this.

Before the draft, It was noted from the insiders that the Hawks were looking to trade vet(s) + #15 pick for a roster upgrade and reduce salary since the front office/coaches didn't see the #15 being able to crack the rotation and contribute immediately. I don't think that has changed regardless of his SL performance.

Given our current roster construction, nothing wrong if he spends ample time with CPS.

You know..this is also fair. I was bought in on the package 15 + player for an upgrade and that could be coloring my view. When it became obvious we were picking, Lively was off the board, Whitmore fell, I thought for sure this was the same kind of pick we made with JC, Kevin, JJ, AJ....player falls, we are willing to take the risk.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You know..this is also fair. I was bought in on the package 15 + player for an upgrade and that could be coloring my view. When it became obvious we were picking, Lively was off the board, Whitmore fell, I thought for sure this was the same kind of pick we made with JC, Kevin, JJ, AJ....player falls, we are willing to take the risk.

Maybe he just didn't have enough ' Hawkness: Hawks DNA' 😀.....I'm still not sure I understand exactly what this is.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think he will be solid as a scorer once he gets comfortable, but he does not look like a natural point to me. Probably a Jordan Poole type. 

I didn't think he was/is a natural point from his draft profile. What am I missing? 

He's a SG that can provide some playmaking, has a good handle.......get his own shot and in some instances navigate enough to set up his teammates because of his IQ. 

Seems to be more in the CJ McCullum mold.

What am I missing?

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I didn't think he was/is a natural point from his draft profile. What am I missing? 

He's a SG that can provide some playmaking, has a good handle.......get his own shot and in some instances navigate enough to set up his teammates because of his IQ. 

What am I missing?

He was running point in Summer league. They must envision him in that role, or at least to some extent.

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He was running point in Summer league. They must envision him in that role, or at least to some extent.

Summer League can be a time for development and exploration too.  I could see them giving him more than he could handle in SL and then paring that back once real basketball begins.  

He had some creation ability at UM so continuing development of that makes sense even if they don't see him as a true point or anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What am I missing?

C.J. has a superior frame and body out of college. C.J. was a superior shooter as a prospect and he didn't take bad shots consistently. When you start comparing guys to guys who are 15-20 pounds bigger like Jalen Rose to Jarrett Culver, you start getting busts.

The best thing about Bukfin aside from his skill level is his ability to run PnRs. As bad as he is as PG, Jeff was just as bad. Thing is, Jeff had the speed and athleticism so when it finally came as he got older, he was functional. I don't know about Bufkin. He needs a lot of development because he's really far away. 

Edited by NBASupes

His last game bothered me in terms of shot selection, but I saw enough flashes both offensively and defensively to be confident that he will mature into a decent NBA player.

The play where he gambled for the steal and missed, but showed the ability to recover and block the shot is something that impressed me. 

So Yes, I think Bufkin can be a good NBA player.  I just didn't see that many winning player traits from the small sample we saw. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Summer League can be a time for development and exploration too.  I could see them giving him more than he could handle in SL and then paring that back once real basketball begins.  

He had some creation ability at UM so continuing development of that makes sense even if they don't see him as a true point or anything.

@bleachkit and others, as much as I loathe agreeing with AH, i must do so here.

I've heard many former and current coaches (on nbaradio primarily) speak of SL as a place for development.  So you often see players doing things and roles simply to develop, regardless of results. 

Most often I heard them say this is with shooting.  Which is why you'll see guys jacking up shots and missin', but just keep jackin'.  It's because the best way to develop some things is in actual games vs opponents who are actually tying to defend you.

As it relates to Bufk, perhaps there is some lead-guard skill they were looking to have him work on.  Thus, results aren't as red-flaggish as we fans fall for.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

Toronto if you believe the trade rumors. This is assuming the raptors haven’t been watching summer league too closely. 

Yeah Since we drafted Bufkin, I kinda had a feeling he wouldnt play a game as a Hawk.

I think a trade is being held up until that 30 days expires.

But who knows....................

Edited by terrell
  • Like 2