• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks starting PF? It can’t be JJ

Spud2nique

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

When I think that Nate had JJ glued to the bench :blanky:..🤬.

Wanna hear something disturbing..

I was watching the game standing up a lot and often times I’d cross my arms while observing.. a Nate vibe flowed all through my body. I 🚿 immediate after and got my Salley Jess Raf red 👓 and took a 💺. 😂 

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Per Quin:

To this point in the season, Bey has started three games at power forward and Johnson has started two. Snyder has indicated that his choice of starter isn't the be-all and end-all. The bigger issue – and the one that swings in the Hawks' favor – is that they get 48 minutes of solid play at that spot.

"There was never a question, for me, about the (power forward) position," Snyder said. "Meaning that we have some good players there. People get fixated on starting. It is what it is. If you go watch a game in Europe, they start different lineups all the time and no one thinks anything of it. People get fixated on rotations. If you looked at our rotation the other night, it was all over the place, because that's what the game dictated. I think, particularly in Saddiq and Jalen's case because they've both started games, they haven't thought about it the way the general public thinks about it. They haven't thought about it the way the PA announcer thinks about it when he announces them. And that's refreshing, because I think it shows their commitment to the bottom line, which is not the stat sheet. It's the wins. They're doing everything they can (to win games)."

Saddiq Bey's strength, shooting key his strong start | NBA.com

• Like 2

• Premium Member

10 NBA players you need to know from the season’s first two weeks

Jalen Johnson, PF, Hawks

Johnson barely played the first half of last season and was the ninth man in the rotation once Quin Snyder took over, but in his third season, he’s broken out as the Atlanta Hawks’ starting power forward. With John Collins in Utah, Johnson has taken over and posted numbers similar to Collins’ best season: 18.0 PER, 62.5 percent true shooting, 22.3 points and 13.8 rebounds per 100 possessions and roughly one highlight dunk per night. (At least: He has 14 jams in seven games.)

Johnson’s other value, though, is that he gives the Hawks a secondary playmaker, one who averages 4.2 assists per 100 despite relatively low usage in Atlanta’s guard-heavy system. In transition or on the move in half court, his ability to make the “one extra” helps Atlanta maximize its advantages when teams try to swarm Trae Young and Dejounte Murray. Johnson also has helped with his energetic defense, averaging 2.0 steals and 1.1 blocks per 100 possessions for a team that aspires to be average on this end and let its offense win the games.

In his third season out of Duke, the 21-year-old Johnson still needs to improve as a perimeter threat — he’s at 28.7 percent from 3 and 63.4 percent from the line for his career, offering echoes of Collins as a not-really-floor-spacer in the corner. But he’s so dynamic from that spot as a cutter and lob-dunker that he’s still a threat; if the shooting comes around, he’ll be a fixture as the Hawks’ starting four for a long time.

https://theathletic.com/5042230/2023/11/08/nba-early-player-trends-cam-thomas-moses-moody/

• Like 4

On 11/9/2023 at 12:42 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Just watched the full breakdown.  He's bringing a lot to the table.  After hoping Hunter was baby Kawhi and Cam would be baby PG13, Jalen looks like an actual baby Lebron.  

One thing the tape shows is though he's ahead of schedule, he's still a work in progress.  Still honing his passing instincts and mechanics, commits turnovers at times trying to make a play.  Has a ways to go in isolations, but anytime you see him get a bucket from his face up game it's a sign of things to come.  

Side note. Jalen gets a lot of credit as a passer and we don't mind him committing a few turnovers trying to make a play.  Reminds me why I don't get the criticism of Trae's turnovers.  Trae might have the best floor game in the NBA, but he has to have confidence in himself to even attempt some of his passes.  Before we drafted him if you were told he would lead the league in total assists over a five year period, and our team TOV% would be top 10 you would jump out of your seat. 

It's a positive that he is bold enough to make the amount of mistakes he does and keep his confidence.  I personally want Jalen to have a similar mentality.  Failure is one of the best teachers.  Staying confident in spite of failure is the basis for success.

“You must put your head into the lion’s mouth if the performance is to be a success.”

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Just watched the full breakdown.  He's bringing a lot to the table.  After hoping Hunter was baby Kawhi and Cam would be baby PG13, Jalen looks like an actual baby Lebron.  

One thing the tape shows is though he's ahead of schedule, he's still a work in progress.  Still honing his passing instincts and mechanics, commits turnovers at times trying to make a play.  Has a ways to go in isolations, but anytime you see him get a bucket from his face up game it's a sign of things to come.  

Side note. Jalen gets a lot of credit as a passer and we don't mind him committing a few turnovers trying to make a play.  Reminds me why I don't get the criticism of Trae's turnovers.  Trae might have the best floor game in the NBA, but he has to have confidence in himself to even attempt some of his passes.  Before we drafted him if you were told he would lead the league in total assists over a five year period, and our team TOV% would be top 10 you would jump out of your seat. 

It's a positive that he is bold enough to make the amount of mistakes he does and keep his confidence.  I personally want Jalen to have a similar mentality.  Failure is one of the best teachers.  Staying confident in spite of failure is the basis for success.

“You must put your head into the lion’s mouth if the performance is to be a success.”

There is a lot of reaching in this post.

Baby Lebron

Don't understand the criticism of Trae's turnovers

Hunter comps to Kawhi which I always hated.

JJ has improved tremendously but he's still in that Josh Smith lane. Tweener lane. Not really a 3 or a 4. But he's a lot more consistent and a lot less flawed even if Smoove was more gifted physically. If he can become an all star, that would be amazing. 

Trae turnovers were some of the worst in Basketball. We seen shades this year but nothing as egregious as previous seasons. 

Hunter should have never been compared within our base to Kawhi. He never had Kawhi elite physical attributes. He was always going to be an high end role player in a hard to find role.