• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks starting PF? It can’t be JJ

Spud2nique

I’m sorry but I can’t start JJ at the 4 this upcoming season. He hasn’t done enough to justify a starting role on a club looking to get not only in the play in but homecourt in the playoffs.

We have Trae and DJ, we need a vet starting at PF.

Look, I like JJ but I watched 80/82 games last year, possibly 81, he would do most of his damage in small stretches in the floor. He hasn’t done any heavy lifting as far as PT.

I don’t see how many of you are comfortable with him starting. 

I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

He hasn’t done any heavy lifting as far as PT.

Yes.  I think that's the reality.   We're hopeful that he'll surprise us but it would be really shocking if he's an effective starter out the gate.  

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I'm expecting Bey to start and JJ to back him up at the PF spot if we don't make a move.  The fact that we've been talking with Toronto about Siakam tells you pretty clearly that the front office is open to an upgrade in the frontcourt at that spot.  If JJ starts, it should be because he beat out Bey which would be fairly promising.

• Like 1

I'm sure there is a PF free agent out there somewhere that the Hawks may find and sign,  If not, Bey and JJ will rotate and it doesn't really matter which one goes first.

:smug:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m sorry but I can’t start JJ at the 4 this upcoming season. He hasn’t done enough to justify a starting role on a club looking to get not only in the play in but homecourt in the playoffs.

We have Trae and DJ, we need a vet starting at PF.

Look, I like JJ but I watched 80/82 games last year, possibly 81, he would do most of his damage in small stretches in the floor. He hasn’t done any heavy lifting as far as PT.

I don’t see how many of you are comfortable with him starting. 

I dunno 🤷‍♀️ 

Best case scenario would have been not to trade away JC.   JC was a real PF who was coming off of an injury.   I guess, worse comes to worse, we will be forced to play JJ.  The JJ fanclub will have their excuses if he doesn't perform.. But I can't go for the following..

1.  It's Nate's Fault. 

2.  It's Trae's Fault. 

3.  It's anybody else's fault. 

We have cleared the deck for him to produce.   We have to be willing to hold him accountable.  Judging the Russells, I see that that's a thing for Modern People. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I predict JJ will beat out Bey for the starting job. (If we stay as is).

JJ shot 29% from three last season.   Bey shot 40% from three last season. 

I know which one makes me more comfortable. 

• Moderators

I'm all aboard with JJ for the future but to the original point we're acting like he's going to come in and be a really solid, or some think really great, starting PF for us game 1.   That's just not realistic for a guy with this much experience

image.png

At the very least we need a backup.  Our roster is really weird right now.    We're thin at the 4 no matter how good you think JJ will be.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

JJ shot 29% from three last season.   Bey shot 40% from three last season. 

I know which one makes me more comfortable. 

Well, if basketball was only about 3 pt shooting - you would have point.

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We're thin at the 4

:good:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Best case scenario would have been not to trade away JC.   JC was a real PF who was coming off of an injury.   I guess, worse comes to worse, we will be forced to play JJ.  The JJ fanclub will have their excuses if he doesn't perform.. But I can't go for the following..

1.  It's Nate's Fault. 

2.  It's Trae's Fault. 

3.  It's anybody else's fault. 

We have cleared the deck for him to produce.   We have to be willing to hold him accountable.  Judging the Russells, I see that that's a thing for Modern People. 

You know who also was in JJ’s position and we threw him into the fire 🔥? Chris Crawford  in 99, oh my. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You know who also was in JJ’s position and we threw him into the fire 🔥? Chris Crawford  in 99, oh my. 

Chris Crawford?  Chris Crawford was a 2nd round pick...50th overall.  JJ was considered at one point to be a lottery pick.  Crawford was thrown into the fire year 2.  This is JJ 3rd year with the team.  Do you think he will be a career back up or something??

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

We're thin at the 4

What’s Kevin Willis up to these days, maybe we could sign him to a 10 day so he can shove JJ’s head into the huddle like he did Smoove in 2005 that once.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

14.9 minutes… 5.6 points 4.0 rebounds 1.6 dimes .5 block .5 steal per..

Yall want him to start?

I need more this is like Chris Crawford in 99.

Given more minutes may not 🟰 better stats.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/crawfch01.html

More like David West except better Numbers

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westda01.html

• Thanks 1