• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Floor Spacing - The missing part to unlock Traes full offensive potential

JTB

I don’t know if you guys are watching this bucks vs Philly game but Dame was looking awful with Giannis on the floor. You can tell Dame doesn’t know where his shots will come from with Giannis on the floor and perhaps Middleton to an extent.

BUT as soon as Griffin put in bigs that can space the floor!!!…. it was Dame Time!

I love Capela but we will never see the best version of Trae offensively without the floor being spaced. I believe both Trae and Murray duo wouldn’t be doubted if the floor was spaced out.

it’s not that hard to see…and the surrounding shooters just have to be capable 3pt shooters not knock down shooters.

I know we got Trae haters and some times the haters are just telling the truth but give Trae & Murray floor space and that duos speed would be unmatched. Those two can turn the corner so easily…..right now we aren’t utilizing the maximum speed of this back court.

and as im writing this Giannis and dame is back in the game with Philly back on and 11-0 run.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JTB said:

I love Capela but we will never see the best version of Trae offensively without the floor being spaced. I believe both Trae and Murray duo wouldn’t be doubted if the floor was spaced out.

The problem with Murray.  Murray is not an elite passer and he's not a high percentage shooter from distance.   He's a good midrange scorer.   You mix that with Trae who is an elite passer but also gets his points from the paint because he's not a high percentage shooter from distance and you have the crux of the problem.  It is going to take creativity to make this work. 

CC being in the lane could be an issue but more likely is other people who can score the ball and have the ball to swing.   When the ball doesn't stick... all of our flaws tend to disappear.   

When Trae and Murray are having bad shooting games, the key is to not revert.   We can win without them being the lead dogs but it takes continual ball movement.   Once they figure that out, they will be better players and we will win more. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Diesel said:

The problem with Murray.  Murray is not an elite passer and he's not a high percentage shooter from distance.   He's a good midrange scorer.   You mix that with Trae who is an elite passer but also gets his points from the paint because he's not a high percentage shooter from distance and you have the crux of the problem.  It is going to take creativity to make this work. 

CC being in the lane could be an issue but more likely is other people who can score the ball and have the ball to swing.   When the ball doesn't stick... all of our flaws tend to disappear.   

When Trae and Murray are having bad shooting games, the key is to not revert.   We can win without them being the lead dogs but it takes continual ball movement.   Once they figure that out, they will be better players and we will win more. 

I agree they will be better as long as the bill doesn’t stick. No complaints there…but I’m just looking at it from an actual contender standpoint. I don’t see how we can ever reach Traes full potential with Capela on this team and I’m not even saying Capela don’t bring value because clearly he does, it just sucks that he also takes a big part of the game away.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, JTB said:

I agree they will be better as long as the bill doesn’t stick. No complaints there…but I’m just looking at it from an actual contender standpoint. I don’t see how we can ever reach Traes full potential with Capela on this team and I’m not even saying Capela don’t bring value because clearly he does, it just sucks that he also takes a big part of the game away.

The problem is that nobody gets rebounds like Capela.   OO doesn't.  JJ doesn't.  Moreover, Capela is a 60% scorer.   The thing that must happen is learning to play Capela in an offense that doesn't stick and split his time wisely based on matchup with OO.   The spacing argument is negated if there's continual ball movement.   And we can do that... it just takes a different type of thinking 

1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Trae needs shooters who can also play defense, not either or.

Very unfortunate that , that’s a hard find. 

I feel we should give up on that idea personally. A big man who can defend and shoot is just not available or he’s on another team long term.

I’m not comparing us to the bucks but at some point we have to make an impact move rather than trying to get a perfect move. By impact I mean trades such as dame for holiday….holiday is by far the better defender and it isn’t even close and you can win with Jrue but Dame is a more impactful player simple based on the fact that Dames elite offense outweighs Jrues elite defense, at least in my opinion.

I say all that to say…I would throw the house at KAT as long as we can keep OO.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Guys are just auditioning for the KAT trade.

this is not far off. 

4 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We had spacing in the past but decided we needed to prioritize defense next to Trae to unlock his potential.

Two players are the hardest to find in the NBA. Always have been and always will be. 

6 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Guys are just auditioning for the KAT trade.

KAT trade threads will be common on this site. It becomes more and more clear that the floor spacer must be a 5 but one that's much bigger than OO and someone who can really space the floor. Not just occasionally hit open looks against defenses sagging on him.

Thing with KAT is, he's not a rim protector, at all but he is a paint protector. Whereas, Capela is both. OO is a rim protector but not a paint protector. Getting KAT makes guys like Bey useless at the 4 but makes it possible to play OO at the 4. OO will have to learn 4 man defensive actions. On the ball, he's fine, off the ball, he gets himself into trouble, experience is needed for him as a 4 man, especially defensively. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Diesel said:

Good post.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

We had spacing in the past but decided we needed to prioritize defense next to Trae to unlock his potential.

In a Nate system, this is true. 

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, JTB said:

Very unfortunate that , that’s a hard find. 

I feel we should give up on that idea personally. A big man who can defend and shoot is just not available or he’s on another team long term.

I’m not comparing us to the bucks but at some point we have to make an impact move rather than trying to get a perfect move. By impact I mean trades such as dame for holiday….holiday is by far the better defender and it isn’t even close and you can win with Jrue but Dame is a more impactful player simple based on the fact that Dames elite offense outweighs Jrues elite defense, at least in my opinion.

I say all that to say…I would throw the house at KAT as long as we can keep OO.

Actually, that experiment is going to be observed in the playoffs.   I don't have very high hopes for it.  I think in the playoffs, Dame will still be impactful but they will miss Jrue's defense.     You ever notice in the playoffs, teams have no problem slowing Giannis down?