• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Wretch said:

I know Soth.  I'm not worried about them making bad moves as much as I'm lamenting the fact that I actually like THIS team and it sucks that it's not working.  I know that we have to do something, but I have a strange attachment to this squad top to bottom.  I honestly just like this group of guys and every game I tune in hoping it will be the spark that turns things around.

For those who would chime in, I'm aware that I am living in the past.  I know the ECF fairytale is over - been over and time to let it go. Still stings...especially with the high hopes I had for DJ.  I wasn't as high on his game as most were, but I loved his attitude. I thought for sure we were there man.  😥

I hear you.  That's why i say adding a couple guys like Finney-Smith and Bojan bogi would get us back in the playoff picture.   If we could figure out how to pry BI from Nola though that would be huge but would cost DJ+young guys for sure. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

Cam was a good trade.  So was Huerter.  Huerter’s a poor man’s Bogi.  Bey was also a good trade.

I think Murray was a good trade as far as value, but not fit.  Seeing San Antonio flounder I don’t think we’re swapping picks in 2026.  So Gallo was out the door for no return plus two first round picks and a fake first.  That’s not a bad value for Murray.  He’s just not a fit for our current roster.  

I guess my point is that we have no track record of pulling off a home run trade for a star. Especially in this current Hawks era. You would have to go back to Joe Johnson to find a trade for a “superstar” and even then it was so controversial that it broke up an entire ownership group.

That’s the level of pressure that you’re dealing with when trying to make these moves happen.

This entire thread is about trades for name guys, and they will likely never happen. What will happen is what ALWAYS happens, and that’s a trade for cap relief or a back of rotation player who won’t disrupt the minutes of our main guys.

We are not going to make a big time trade mid season. Whether we genuinely try or not. 

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I hear you.  That's why i say adding a couple guys like Finney-Smith and Bojan bogi would get us back in the playoff picture.   If we could figure out how to pry BI from Nola though that would be huge but would cost DJ+young guys for sure. 

No way in Hell would NO consider trading BI. Why even mention it,and if you believe that why am I responding?

• Haha 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, txsting said:

Grant Williams has underwhelmed in Dallas, may not be a good fit for them.  If they wanted out, could they trade Grant into our TPE and gain a TPE for themselves?

Short answer:  Yes.  We could take anyone who fits into that TPE and the other team would get a TPE in return assuming we didn't send salary.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, terrell said:

Rumor is Sac offered Barnes, the beloved Huerter(whos been benched for Duarte), one of their young players, & a pick for Siakam..

So Kvon and JC both benched and on the block. 

Those guys were legit 2nd 3rd options for us.. smh

And there are several players on this Current team that are arguably worse than JC AND Huerter! 😂

I never liked the Murray fit, but I can see why Trae wanted him..

He's yet to be paired with anything close to All Star material..

The only thing that was wrong with Kev and JC was us dodging tax. You can’t tell me we couldn’t still use JC’s size and rebounding, or Kev’s skillset in place of the minutes given to the Matthews.

I don’t lose sleep at night wishing they were still Hawks, but we have literally been a worse team without them.

• Like 3

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, terrell said:

Rumor is Sac offered Barnes, the beloved Huerter(whos been benched for Duarte), one of their young players, & a pick for Siakam..

So Kvon and JC both benched and on the block. 

Those guys were legit 2nd 3rd options for us.. smh

And there are several players on this Current team that are arguably worse than JC AND Huerter! 😂

I never liked the Murray fit, but I can see why Trae wanted him..

He's yet to be paired with anything close to All Star material..

Huerter and JC were definitely not our 2nd and 3rd options when they were traded.  Huerter was the 5th option for us his last season with the team.  JC was the 5th option for us last year.  Both guys were valuable rotation pieces but never, for example, higher in priority as a scorer than Bogi or DM.  And I fully agree we absolutely have a bunch of players worse than JC and Huerter.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

Huerter and JC were definitely not our 2nd and 3rd options when they were traded.  Huerter was the 5th option for us his last season with the team.  JC was the 5th option for us last year.  Both guys were valuable rotation pieces but never, for example, higher in priority as a scorer than Bogi or DM.  And I fully agree we absolutely have a bunch of players worse than JC and Huerter.  

JC was Trae #2 guy for years.. Kev was 3rd 4th option.. They were considered the Hawks "BIG 3" early on.. lol

I wasnt talking about last year. Just in the past. My bad

Edited by terrell

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, terrell said:

JC was Trae #2 guy for years.. Kev was 3rd 4th option.. They were considered the Hawks "BIG 3" early on.. lol

I wasnt talking about last year. Just in the past. My bad

The second option when we were tanking sure and same for Huerter - 3rd or 4th option while we were tanking.

When we made the playoffs again it was Trae at 17+ FGA/gm while the next 8 players in the rotation averaged between 12.8 and 9.0 FGA/gm so very much a "star" and "balanced supporting cast" situation.  Huerter was the #6 option that year.  JC was #3 but not really any different than the others like Cap or Hunter, etc. 

When the playoffs arrived you can see the pecking order separate farther.  Trae the star; Bogi the clear #2 at almost 4 more shots per game than the others; then JC, Gallo, Cam, Huerter, Cap, and Hunter all within a shot or two of one another.

I just don't think JC being the #2 option on a tanking team is anything to lament.  He was literally the first first round pick we made after tearing the team down and Trae was the second.  You'd expect them to be the #1 and #2 guys at that time.  Likewise, Kev was the third so again not a shock that he would be the #3 or #4 guy for a tanking team in that circumstance.  The rubber hits the road when we try to win games.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, RedDawg#8 said:

The only thing that was wrong with Kev and JC was us dodging tax. You can’t tell me we couldn’t still use JC’s size and rebounding, or Kev’s skillset in place of the minutes given to the Matthews.

I don’t lose sleep at night wishing they were still Hawks, but we have literally been a worse team without them.

Keep seeing this logic and it's so weird to me.  The problem with Kev is massive redundancy at his position.  The problem with JC is a ton of things: he cannot dribble without turning it over, he cannot self-create, he cannot pass, and he cannot guard anyone.  

Using this kind of logic, we could use just about anybody in the NBA for $15-25M per year and fill our rotation with sub-par dudes and go into the tax for play-in games.  We should collectively all be mad at Schlenk for extending everyone on this roster to such generous contracts that has us capped out at the luxury floor with no reason to go into the tax.    Schlenk is a good scout and did O.K. in trades, but he was awful at contract negotiations.

If I was GM of this team, Ressler could come to me and beg to go into the tax and I would strongly advocate we not do it.  Not because I care about his bank account, but because this team isn't remotely close to contending and we'd be ruining our flexibility to put together a competitive roster.

• Thanks 3

I still contend that the Hawks botched the rebuild by thinking they were better than they were and thinking they were a contender. I was clowned by some for suggesting that OKC was further along than the Hawks and had correctly handled their rebuild. Now the Hawks are stuck in the middle with no clear cut way of becoming a contender.

What are we trying to do, win a championship or make the playoffs.  Short of adding a star player an inside presence that can both score and add rebounding and defense as well as some flat out dogs that as Dan Campbell said are willing to bite off some knee caps. I don't see anyway this happening . The question is how do we get out of being stuck in the middle and truly compete. As currently constructed I just don't see it.  

Now I'm not totally down on the talent on this team especially if AJ and Bufkin can become players then maybe we can add the size and defensive pieces we need.   But, let's stop making everyone we sign a superstar until they prove they are. We are a 500 team, it is up to Fields and Korver to get us out of this purgatory be it FA, trades or rebuilding before as I have said before Trae Young asks for a trade.

11 minutes ago, terrell said:

Im throwing this kid into the fire.. IDC

Sick of the Matthews twins...

I am too.  And at this point, it’s like, why not?  Could provide a little spark, put some pep everyone’s step.  Heck, I’d like to see AJ too.  He played with some fire last year.  Might be just what this team needs and push the team to play harder.

We see what some of these other young guys are doing around the league.  Give them a chance.  I know we can’t see behind the scenes but I’d rather see what they can do rather than keep rolling out the Matts like you said.  If they fall on their faces, then fine, but man…about time to change it up.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Sothron said:

yes to both.

I still believe Siakam is coming to Atlanta even if it is a rental. Ressler is furious at the way this season has went. 

Soth,

I am sorry, but I dont think we are going to do a "Nique for Manning" trade for this.  Right now, we are about to go against some very heavy hitters and we could be 10 games under .500 and I dont want to trade for somebody that is going to leave and we get nothing to show for it.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

Keep seeing this logic and it's so weird to me.  The problem with Kev is massive redundancy at his position.  The problem with JC is a ton of things: he cannot dribble without turning it over, he cannot self-create, he cannot pass, and he cannot guard anyone.  

Using this kind of logic, we could use just about anybody in the NBA for $15-25M per year and fill our rotation with sub-par dudes and go into the tax for play-in games.  We should collectively all be mad at Schlenk for extending everyone on this roster to such generous contracts that has us capped out at the luxury floor with no reason to go into the tax.    Schlenk is a good scout and did O.K. in trades, but he was awful at contract negotiations.

If I was GM of this team, Ressler could come to me and beg to go into the tax and I would strongly advocate we not do it.  Not because I care about his bank account, but because this team isn't remotely close to contending and we'd be ruining our flexibility to put together a competitive roster.

I think everyone agrees that JC was overpaid.  Huerter really wasn't so I put him in a different category.  I also think you are making it sound like both these guys are worthless players which just isn't the case.  They curb stomp nearly half of our roster (which speaks to how dismal our roster has been from the 9-15 slots).  

The frustration is along these lines:

(1) Ressler has promised to pay the tax to make this team better and hasn't.  Full stop.

(2) We made a trade for a then All-Star and immediately worsened the roster by dealing away valuable depth where we had a known significant injury problem.  That took some of the wind out of the sails for people who believed we could be better than ever with DM added to the roster only for us to sit around for months waiting for Bogi to get healthy.

(3) Some posters will gripe that we didn't optimize trading Huerter.  I'm among them with issues on both timing and return.  We still have gotten less than nothing (the players we got made negative impact) contributing on the court for trading him.  Hopefully that reverses in 10 months from now or so when we have the Sacramento pick playing for us and maybe even contributing (maybe).

(4) Collins' absence was keenly felt when JJ went down and we had no one capable of stepping into the rotation.  Instead, we added absolute garbage while hanging out well below the tax line and so we get to watch Mat(t)hews throw minutes into the void of wasted time since Ressler hasn't been willing to shore up that lost depth since the JC trade to date.  We have a TPE from that deal that is just collecting dust on the shelf even though we could add talent through it without pushing ourselves into the tax (and could obviously also add talent through it and push ourselves into the tax).  All the talk after JC was dumped was about how this allowed us to add talent.  Talent added to date is zero.

So I think it is a combination of issues.  Bottomline people are not happy about how the team is performing and there is an owner who claims to be willing to spend but hasn't done it.  Again, we could add almost $10M in payroll tonight and still be under the tax line but we've been giving minutes to garbage players and losing games as we deal with injuries to guys who are known red flag injury risks (ie our roster missing time with Bogi, Hunter, AJ, and JJ especially is a foreseeable risk with seemingly nothing done to mitigate that risk.)  Frustration is going to arise with that kind of dynamic.

Your point about the team under Schlenk overpaying some of our people definitely stands.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Soth,

I am sorry, but I dont think we are going to do a "Nique for Manning" trade for this.  Right now, we are about to go against some very heavy hitters and we could be 10 games under .500 and I dont want to trade for somebody that is going to leave and we get nothing to show for it.

I don't *want* us to trade for Siakam, frankly, unless he agrees to sign an extension to stay. I want this team to do a soft rebuild or at least wait for the offseason to unload guys and get a third star.

I also have to be honest with what I'm hearing from my sources. It isn't the same as my opinion on things.

• Like 2