• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

We're not doing a rebuild. I keep having to repeat this. We aren't giving away players. The decision was made to take advantage of a market full of buyers but no sellers. If we move good players we will get good returns. 

They aren't doing a rebuild. I feel like I have to say this every paragraph of every post I make. I get there is zero confidence in our FO because of giving away other players for nothing. I get that. That was under different circumstances.

There's several teams that want to contend or at least make the playoffs. Our FO knows this roster doesn't work. It just doesn't. So they clear out players that are better fits on other rosters and in return get young guys and picks. Those can be conveyed for upgrades either at the deadline, with a three team deal or in the offseason.

We can't do a rebuild for two reasons: we don't control our own first rounders for three seasons after this one. It also would force Trae to demand a trade out of a rebuild because he doesn't fit the timeline of a potential rebuild plus he wouldn't want to stick around for that. 

If we could potentially swap out some pieces for other pieces that defend better and fit Quin's system better...that's a win in the long term. My hunch is they are willing to miss the playoffs this year, get a lottery pick, stockpile young guys and picks and go into the offseason loaded with assets to make trades for established stars.

No rebuild for the simple reason that to do a rebuild you have to build something first.   What has this team built in the past 10 years other than a wall of our naive hopes and dreams?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The decision was made to take advantage of a market full of buyers but no sellers. If we move good players we will get good returns. 

I really, really, really, really, really want to belive this. But I have no faith in this FO and I don't trust Messy Ressy, but I sincerely hope they prove me wrong so I can have some jerk seasoned crow. 😋 

So they clear out players that are better fits on other rosters and in return get young guys and picks.

They better be special and contribute quickly so we can win, or the elephant in the room will trumpet very loudly and I would not blame him.

My hunch is they are willing to miss the playoffs this year, get a lottery pick, stockpile young guys and picks and go into the offseason loaded with assets to make trades for established stars.

They'd better get the returns that make sense and hit on the draft picks. Or we'll once against be getting lower tiered 'stars'

Again....I'm praying it works. But pass experience has left me unconvinced, since they've pivoted from one thing to the next, to the next. There is no staying power with anything they've done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

We're not doing a rebuild. I keep having to repeat this. We aren't giving away players. The decision was made to take advantage of a market full of buyers but no sellers. If we move good players we will get good returns. 

They aren't doing a rebuild. I feel like I have to say this every paragraph of every post I make. I get there is zero confidence in our FO because of giving away other players for nothing. I get that. That was under different circumstances.

There's several teams that want to contend or at least make the playoffs. Our FO knows this roster doesn't work. It just doesn't. So they clear out players that are better fits on other rosters and in return get young guys and picks. Those can be conveyed for upgrades either at the deadline, with a three team deal or in the offseason.

We can't do a rebuild for two reasons: we don't control our own first rounders for three seasons after this one. It also would force Trae to demand a trade out of a rebuild because he doesn't fit the timeline of a potential rebuild plus he wouldn't want to stick around for that. 

If we could potentially swap out some pieces for other pieces that defend better and fit Quin's system better...that's a win in the long term. My hunch is they are willing to miss the playoffs this year, get a lottery pick, stockpile young guys and picks and go into the offseason loaded with assets to make trades for established stars.

Sounds good.  I think people are skeptical of the execution.  I like the concept in theory.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Huerter for FRP was a good trade 

The DJM trade was an experiment 

The JC trade was long overdue.

Until trades are actually done you lame Hawks fans need to quit shaking in your boots. 

What happened to having some overinflated ego about your assets like the Canadians have? Why can’t you act like them?

I have no doubt we will get good return.

if we convert any of roster into some semblance of defensive players we will be winners this trade deadline

Edited by theheroatl
  • Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

There was no way I was gonna look at 30 teams winshares for players 9-17.  Like 0.000% chance I would do that.

This is like having to explain a joke.  If you are focused on the end of the bench and not your top 6 players, you are losing.  

What we pay our players matters to me.  Because when you pay the wrong guys it means you can't get the right guys.  

I’ll save you the trouble. At that level of depth, we are currently the worst team in the entire NBA and the worst team in the last 30 years and we did that to our roster knowing we had JJ, AJ, Bogi, and Hunter as high injury risk guys.  Significant missed time was almost inevitable.

We will need critical minutes from people outside of our top 6.  Even Jordan’s Bulls had critical minutes from guys outside of their 6 let alone a team with the depth of Isiah’s Pistons.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I consider this is definitive confirmation we are not dealing DM for Grimes and picks.  That would be a tanking/rebuild trade.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, AHF said:

I consider this is definitive confirmation we are not dealing DM for Grimes and picks.  That would be a tanking/rebuild trade.

I can't speak on that. I wish I could. I will say though that Grimes is a good POA defender and would be a definite upgrade in backcourt defense on this team plus he can hit threes. That is NOT me saying that is the trade, just offering an opinion on that player.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

“The way it was explained to me was when they were trying to go get OG Anunoby they wanted to try and get both him and Dejounte Murray now what’s interesting to me is um I think the trade package for OG went a little different than what NY originally anticipated … there had been talks even dating back to last year with RJ but the difference was instead of Quickley there were going to be picks going to Toronto, and instead Toronto opted to get a guy like Immanuel Quickley… valued at 2 first-round picks in their eyes … after I touched on Dejounte you see a lot more reports following that about well whether Atlanta is really considering moving him or not. The biggest thing with Atlanta is they are underwhelming right now… Dejounte and Trae were never an ideal backcourt fit…Knick fans have asked me about Jalen Brunson and Dejounte, and I don’t think on paper it’s ideal as well… what I would say was it shows a little bit of a shift in thinking in the sense that a guy like OG defensively like a guy like Dejounte it would fit the mold of (Thibs) and more of the identity they are trying to go. If they wind up getting Dejounte Murray at some point … when Jalen Brunson goes to the bench you have Dejounte Murray as your lead ball handler”

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

I’ll save you the trouble. At that level of depth, we are currently the worst team in the entire NBA and the worst team in the last 30 years and we did that to our roster knowing we had JJ, AJ, Bogi, and Hunter as high injury risk guys.  Significant missed time was almost inevitable.

We will need critical minutes from people outside of our top 6.  Even Jordan’s Bulls had critical minutes from guys outside of their 6 let alone a team with the depth of Isiah’s Pistons.  

We’re spending the same as everyone else for this tier of player, and we have two mid first round picks.  If we truly are WOAT in that category, it’s an execution problem not a budget problem.

Every team has a mixture of draft picks and vet mins at this range.  If we are going through a soft rebuild, we’ll have completely different players at 9-15 in a matter of weeks.  

This part of the roster turns over nearly every year.  You’re talking like teams are outspending us to get better third string players when I showed you the top teams of the league never have big salaries at these slots.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

Random message from one source: tell your pals (they are referring to you here on the squawk) that only Trae and JJ are safe to get in terms of Hawks jerseys for now. everyone else on the roster has been made available to trade.

I did order a JJ jersey after this so....

Tell your pal I'd like to invite him to kick his own ars.... wha??  I'm jus' funnin' 😄

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I feel like we should be collecting expirings and hope to be players in FA, not in trades or the draft

This is the FA list for next offseason. Not overwhelming pretty. Most are most likely resigning/extending with their respective teams.

Who would you want from this list? (Don't say Siakam 😄)

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-nba-free-agent-rankings/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Sounds good.  I think people are skeptical of the execution.  I like the concept in theory.  

If LF/Korver and Quin can have a BUD & Ferry type of relationship where there is a single cohesive vision of how the team should look and play and they have full control every basketball decision with no meddling from Nick/Tony/Trae I'm optimistic.

Non-basketball people meddling is how we got this Frankenstein of a roster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Completely agree … that trade is a rebuild trade … Grimes is a bench player with the Knicks … he my be a good defender but the team is taking a big step back

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Just to add my own thoughts: FA is not what it used to be. Star players sign extensions, see how it plays out and then demand a trade or buy in with their existing team. The only players reaching FA are the guy who want more money than they are worth or veteran guys willing to take less to play on a contender.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This is the FA list for next offseason. Not overwhelming pretty. Most are most likely resigning/extending with their respective teams.

Who would you want from this list? (Don't say Siakam 😄)

https://hoopshype.com/lists/2024-nba-free-agent-rankings/

That list is exactly why we have been interested in Siakam.  Very short and limited list of impact players available.  

Trading for Jerami Grant with some picks we get from trades, or maybe Lauri M.  

Zion trade?

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

We’re spending the same as everyone else for this tier of player, and we have two mid first round picks.  If we truly are WOAT in that category, it’s an execution problem not a budget problem.

Every team has a mixture of draft picks and vet mins at this range.  If we are going through a soft rebuild, we’ll have completely different players at 9-15 in a matter of weeks.  

This part of the roster turns over nearly every year.  You’re talking like teams are outspending us to get better third string players when I showed you the top teams of the league never have big salaries at these slots.  

I don’t believe anyone thought these guys were ever going to really contribute do you?  Garrison Matthews a real contributor?  Wesley Mathews and Patty Mills at this stage of their careers?  Please.  I had hoped they would be teachers for our young players but you can’t seriously think they were ready to be part of the rotation in the event of injury.  Our front office is not serious if they thought those guys were going to replicate what we got from Thabo or Snell or Lou Will or Mike Scott or Solo or Pero, etc.  Those were mostly guys with proven success in their mid to late 20’s on cheap deals.  We can call it an execution issue but I can’t both think our front office really believed we got meaningful depth for this injury prone team and have an ounce of faith in them to do right with some of the most important transactions in years for this team.  

They either didn’t really try, they failed and knew it, or they swung and missed so badly they ended up in the dirt on their ***es and thought they hit a home run while the ump called them out.  None of those are good things.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Just to add my own thoughts: FA is not what it used to be. Star players sign extensions, see how it plays out and then demand a trade or buy in with their existing team. The only players reaching FA are the guy who want more money than they are worth or veteran guys willing to take less to play on a contender.

All the more reason you can’t do a trade without getting back serious value.  Just hold if you can’t get fair value.  Grimes is garbage compared to DM even if he fits better.  If we turn around and try to flip Grimes we’ll find he’s worth $.20 on the dollar compared to DM.  He is a nice throw in to the deal not a centerpiece.

(He is also smallish for a SG so isn’t even some great “fit” as a big, strong wing next to Trae like Cam was envisioned to be.)

• Like 4

• Admin

16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I looked at every starting SG in the NBA and most are 6'5" or under after our posts yesterday about Grimes/Reed Sheppard. 

I would be disappointed if our major return for DJM on a team friendly deal was headlined by Grimes and iffy firsts.

Why they should go after Trey Murphy III … dude is a 3 - D with size and can shoot

• Like 3