• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I looked at every starting SG in the NBA and most are 6'5" or under after our posts yesterday about Grimes/Reed Sheppard. 

I would be disappointed if our major return for DJM on a team friendly deal was headlined by Grimes and iffy firsts.

The only way this makes sense is if it's a 'recoup picks from the Murray trade' deal and not so much about uncourt re-tool. But that needs to be clear from the front office.

I'm gonna be greedy here and ask for the following real picks along with Grimes.

Knicks 2024 1st (currently #18)for taking on Fournier's bad contract (needed for salary filler). His last year is a TO so we can release him.

Dallas 2024 1st (currently #22)

We most likely won't recoup 2 unprotected picks, but I'd need at least 1 unprotected Knicks pick in 2025 or 2027.

No interest in the Detroit, Washington or Bucks picks with their many protections that become 2nds.

Yes. That will leave us with four 2024 1st round picks that includes the Kings pick (currently #23) and our own (currently #7).

We can consolidate those picks to move up in draft, trade 1 for a future pick with additional compensation, trade 1 or 2 picks with a player for a better player. 

I just need the plan clearly stated.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The only way this makes sense is if it's a 'recoup picks from the Murray trade' deal and not so much about uncourt re-tool. But that needs to be clear from the front office.

I'm gonna be greedy here and ask for the following real picks along with Grimes.

Knicks 2024 1st (currently #18)for taking on Fournier's bad contract (needed for salary filler). His last year is a TO so we can release him.

Dallas 2024 1st (currently #22)

We most likely won't recoup 2 unprotected picks, but I'd need at least 1 unprotected Knicks pick in 2025 or 2027.

No interest in the Detroit, Washington or Bucks picks with their many protections that become 2nds.

Yes. That will leave us with four 2024 1st round picks that includes the Kings pick (currently #23) and our own (currently #7).

We can consolidate those picks to move up in draft, trade 1 for a future pick with additional compensation, trade 1 or 2 picks with a player for a better player. 

I just need the plan clearly stated.

They will use the word retool so much when these trades start happening that you will think we were Home Depot. They do not want the fans to believe this is an outright rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Premium Member
Just now, Sothron said:

They will use the word retool so much when these trades start happening that you will think we were Home Depot. They do not want the fans to believe this is an outright rebuild.

Tell them we aren't stupid. At least most of us anyway 🤓.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

It is technically a retooling.  Rebuild implies you're getting rid of your core pieces and starting from scratch.  I don't think it really qualifies as a rebuild unless we move on from Trae.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

It is technically a retooling.  Rebuild implies you're getting rid of your core pieces and starting from scratch.  I don't think it really qualifies as a rebuild unless we move on from Trae.  

this is true. It is however telling that just on this board which has the most in the know Hawks fans in the world that several people think we are rebuilding now. Retooling is literally what they are doing with the roster. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

this is true. It is however telling that just on this board which has the most in the know Hawks fans in the world that several people think we are rebuilding now. Retooling is literally what they are doing with the roster. 

If we are getting players that are younger and have less NBA experience than Trae plus a plethora of picks - IT'S A REBUILD.

Now if they are then able to flip the young guys and picks for legit experienced talent - IT'S A RETOOL.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don’t believe anyone thought these guys were ever going to really contribute do you?  Garrison Matthews a real contributor?  Wesley Mathews and Patty Mills at this stage of their careers?  Please.  I had hoped they would be teachers for our young players but you can’t seriously think they were ready to be part of the rotation in the event of injury.  Our front office is not serious if they thought those guys were going to replicate what we got from Thabo or Snell or Lou Will or Mike Scott or Solo or Pero, etc.  Those were mostly guys with proven success in their mid to late 20’s on cheap deals.  We can call it an execution issue but I can’t both think our front office really believed we got meaningful depth for this injury prone team and have an ounce of faith in them to do right with some of the most important transactions in years for this team.  

They either didn’t really try, they failed and knew it, or they swung and missed so badly they ended up in the dirt on their ***es and thought they hit a home run while the ump called them out.  None of those are good things.

Mainly I’d like to see our draft picks pan out.  The other vet min guys look like they’ll be gone as salary matches.  

Sucks these our 3rd string wasn’t better this year.  And sucks they are worse than the end of the bench of every tanking team in NBA history.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Draft heavy would indicate we're rolling the dice on someone like KAT being available this offseason after a disappointing TWolves playoff run.  Trae might be willing to wait it out half a season but if we aren't able to significantly improve the roster in the offseason, I'm sure the chatter will start with him.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Draft heavy would indicate we're rolling the dice on someone like KAT being available this offseason after a disappointing TWolves playoff run.  Trae might be willing to wait it out half a season but if we aren't able to significantly improve the roster in the offseason, I'm sure the chatter will start with him.

KAT's contract is not something they can afford starting next season. Everyone here knows I'm a Twolf fan as well as a Hawks fan. Trading for Murray helps both teams but I don't think they are going to go that way with a DJM trade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So from what I’m gathering.. it’s not a rebuild because we don’t have draft assets but in reality, it’s essentially that (in my view at least). If we want to win now with Trae there’s no way going younger makes sense. Even if it’s to roll the dice during the off-season. I feel like Trae would get impatient and almost certainly ask for a trade. Who could blame him? 

if that’s the risk we’re willing to take, why not trade Trae now and keep Murray since he’s on a better deal? We could get more for Trae than Murray imo. I’m not suggesting we do this at all. I love Trae as our superstar in atlanta. But it makes no sense to lose both Murray AND Trae because we want to “retool” and see what happens. 

Just my two cents. 

Edited by Bonzaii58

• Premium Member

The truth is that we will get pennies on the dollar for DJM or Trae.   We are not in a position of power for a trade which is why trying to trade doesn't make sense unless we're just giving up.   If we're giving up then this is the every ten year firesale that we have seen before.. IN a firesale, you get rid of everybody of value so that you can get picks.   I can't do that again.   However, this is what our fanbase is used to doing.   That's why we have 100 pages of them crying about draft picks.  They want draft picks because somehow, somebody convinced them that draft picks are the way to winning.   What have we ever won with Draft picks....  speak about the Hawks.  We have turn it down 3 times since Nique... What have we won?  That's the real hamster wheel.   The real hamster wheel is the NBA draft and thinking that being in the lottery will mean that we can win.  It's sickening. Nobody here knows how to build.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

With Ja Morant out for the remainder of the season following shoulder surgery....Marcus Smart may become available.

Smart would be a good pickup. Sets the tone on defense and a great leader. 👀

Found this quote from Snyder after Smart won DPOY  

"First of all, congratulations to Marcus," Snyder said Monday, via Deseret News' Jay Drew. "He’s a terrific defender. I think, not just the things that he does physically on the court, but I think his tenacity and his leadership on the defensive end (is terrific). He’s someone I know our whole team, including Rudy really respects."

Link: https://www.nbcsportsboston.com/nba/boston-celtics/jazz-coach-shares-thoughts-on-marcus-smart-winning-dpoy-over-gobert/208081/?amp=1

1 hour ago, theheroatl said:

Man this whole rumor season has been based on hypotheticals... modern day NBA reporters I guess trying to compete with Woj and Shams

It's not though, these rumors aren't coming because all of the NBA is Atlanta haters. The last I've heard is what I told ya'll, Atlanta looking for win now moves. They aren't interested in selling. This is coming from my league source. I don't have a direct Hawks link. So while Sothron and Mikey can be right, it makes no sense when the rumor is, Trae is counting his days in Atlanta. 

• Like 2