Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, BangHolman said:

Picks are currency.

And currency is only useful if you can actually buy things with it.  We can't wait to get help for this team given the picks we've forfeited and Trae's contract.  In a rebuild you stock up picks and have the luxury of sitting on them until you are ready to do something.  We need to be competitive in the near term so that limits what you can do with picks.  Here we are in 2024 and that Sacramento pick may not even be in the rotation for us let alone an impact player anytime soon and we traded Huerter back in June of 2022.  Unless you are going to bail on Trae and move into full rebuild, I just don't see picks being as valuable for us as young guys currently playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, AHF said:

And currency is only useful if you can actually buy things with it.  We can't wait to get help for this team given the picks we've forfeited and Trae's contract.  In a rebuild you stock up picks and have the luxury of sitting on them until you are ready to do something.  We need to be competitive in the near term so that limits what you can do with picks.  Here we are in 2024 and that Sacramento pick may not even be in the rotation for us let alone an impact player anytime soon and we traded Huerter back in June of 2022.  Unless you are going to bail on Trae and move into full rebuild, I just don't see picks being as valuable for us as young guys currently playing.

Picks are better than nothing, better than TPEs we won't use at least. You may get lucky and draft a player that can make an imediate impact, a Cam Johnson or even a young John Collins. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Picks are better than nothing, better than TPEs we won't use at least. You may get lucky and draft a player that can make an imediate impact, a Cam Johnson or even a young John Collins. 

Based on the Hawks draft past few years.....................I will pass

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

It's easier to trade a pick than a player when making a big deal. I'm not saying we get our picks back to use them in the draft, I want them to use in trade again.

• Like 2

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

They are much better than nothing and may result in a good player.  But they won't do so immediately when they are future picks.  Again, we traded Huerter in June of 2022 and the guy we take with that pick may not even be an impact player until 2026.  That doesn't mean the pick doesn't have value and it is certainly better than what we got for Collins.  But when you need players to help form a winning team around Trae Young before his early termination option arises in the summer of 2026, you can't count on much from a 2025 pick and can't even theoretically count on anything from a 2026 or later pick.  That is fine for a team like SA or OKC that is/was content to stink in the meantime and take high lottery picks with their own draft assets but not so much for a team like the Hawks whose star has two years left of team control after this year and whose picks are owned by another team.

If you do a deal that nets you a future pick, you then have to figure out how to flip that for an impact player sooner than later which is easier said than done.  Even with a slew of picks, we've seen teams like Boston struggle to translate those picks into real live players.

So I'm definitely on board with you on picks > TPE but I don't think we can settle for picks either.  I'd hold DM before sending him for mediocrity now and future picks that are likely to be outside of the lottery.  

(When I say this I'm not saying you can't deal for picks and promptly flip them for viable on-the-floor talent.  I'm saying if the net of our trades is mediocrity plus picks that is a very dangerous situation for this team for the 10 years).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Grimes + fournier (used as filler to salary match) + firsts 

Thank you.  I feel like you guys pretty much spelled this out.  This deal very much depends on Grimes ability to be primary POA defender, the picks, and pick protections.  Hoping for something better.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Thank you.  I feel like you guys pretty much spelled this out.  This deal very much depends on Grimes ability to be primary POA defender, the picks, and pick protections.  Hoping for something better.  

That trade sucks..period 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Plainview1981 said:

They are having a tough season because the pieces don't fit. That's not likely to just suddenly change 

You have to rightly define what pieces don't fit though.  We're doing what all Hawks fans do.. Just blame the next person in line.  NO worries, next year, it will be JJ. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

They are much better than nothing and may result in a good player.  But they won't do so immediately when they are future picks.  Again, we traded Huerter in June of 2022 and the guy we take with that pick may not even be an impact player until 2026.  That doesn't mean the pick doesn't have value and it is certainly better than what we got for Collins.  But when you need players to help form a winning team around Trae Young before his early termination option arises in the summer of 2026, you can't count on much from a 2025 pick and can't even theoretically count on anything from a 2026 or later pick.  That is fine for a team like SA or OKC that is/was content to stink in the meantime and take high lottery picks with their own draft assets but not so much for a team like the Hawks whose star has two years left of team control after this year and whose picks are owned by another team.

If you do a deal that nets you a future pick, you then have to figure out how to flip that for an impact player sooner than later which is easier said than done.  Even with a slew of picks, we've seen teams like Boston struggle to translate those picks into real live players.

So I'm definitely on board with you on picks > TPE but I don't think we can settle for picks either.  I'd hold DM before sending him for mediocrity now and future picks that are likely to be outside of the lottery.  

(When I say this I'm not saying you can't deal for picks and promptly flip them for viable on-the-floor talent.  I'm saying if the net of our trades is mediocrity plus picks that is a very dangerous situation for this team for the 10 years).

I'm just going at this with the baseline expectation of our trades being ass. I'd rather get a pick then a bum ass expiring, or TPE. If we trade DJM we need a first round pick for this upcoming draft + someone useful at a position of need this year. That's as good as I'm capable of imagining a trade getting for us. 

• Like 1

35 games in, we’re 14-21.

Starting a 5-game home stand.

2 are winnable (WAS, SA) and 3 are against playoff teams dealing with injuries (PHI, IND, ORL). Road game against MIA (also dealing with injuries) gets us to the mid-season point.

Maybe 18-23 leaves us with some hope for the playoffs??

16-25 seems more likely IMO

Murray for a POA defender who can shoot and a rim protector could help...

Is Grimes good at the POA? 

If so, Give me Grimes and Mitch Rob and you got a deal.. lol

Knicks will probably offer Grimes and Jericho Sims(+ Fournier salary of course) instead though...😀

Edited by terrell

Rumored trade offers Ive seen

Knicks

Grimes + Sims+ Fournier(expiring) + picks

Only consider this if Grimes can defend POA and we get one the Knicks OWN picks..

Sixers

Melton + Reed + picks

Melton would be a decent fit beside Trae tbh..

And Reed brings toughness up front..

I actually kinda like the Sixers deal .. But the picks would probably suck..

I do like the Clippers 2028 pick & Philly’s 2029 with swap rights with Clippers, but the only other 1st rd pick is likely OKC’s in 2026. I doubt Philly would put all those on the table..

Pels

Murphy + Jones + picks(I cant see them giving up both Murphy and Jones) more likely Murphy + Kyra Lewis or Dyson Daniels

Id take this deal

What are the Spurs offering? 😅

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, terrell said:

Rumored trade offers Ive seen

Knicks

Grimes + Sims+ Fournier(expiring) + picks

Only consider this if Grimes can defend POA and we get one the Knicks OWN picks..

Sixers

Melton + Reed + picks

Melton would be a decent fit beside Trae tbh..

And Reed brings toughness up front..

I actually kinda like the Sixers deal .. But the picks would probably suck..

I do like the Clippers 2028 pick & Philly’s 2029 with swap rights with Clippers, but the only other 1st rd pick is likely OKC’s in 2026. I doubt Philly would put all those on the table..

Pels

Murphy + Jones + picks(I cant see them giving up both Murphy and Jones) more likely Murphy + Kyra Lewis or Dyson Daniels

Id take this deal

What are the Spurs offering? 😅

If that pels offer is real, we need to pee all over ourselves to get that done. 

• Like 3