• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

I haven't heard anything has gone down or will imminently but there is some odd stuff going on in LA locker room after yesterday game. A lot of cryptic stuff from that locker room and hawks are currently on a mini west coast trip. something to keep an eye on

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

(How much difference is there between the #25 pick and #32 pick?)

Not really as much difference as there is between a top #10 pick and that #25 pick.  We all like to think of these draft picks we hope to get in any trade as lottery picks when actually they are #25 and above.

:ahf:

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Mikey said:

The options for where Trae is going are very limited. San Antonio to get our picks back is a top the list. They get the picks back then they are prime to rebuild. I know some fans won't like that but trae value isn't like these other packages people have gotten. They might get more from the spurs but they aren't get 5 picks and young talent type deal. 

Even if Trae wants out behind closed doors, I don't see it happening any time soon.  The price would be very high and the level of risk for the team trading him will be very high.  Trae isn't some plug n play star, as we are all very familiar with.  You need a whole team constructed around him, you need another high end 1A star player (preferably a big).  And you need multiple ball handlers/facilitators.  Think of how many different "needs" have been expressed on this board for what to pair with Trae.  The only semi-feasible landing spots would be LA with AD, Philly with Embiid (although this is kinda a weird fit), and San Antonio with Wemby, but that squad is very far off from contending.

So the absolute earliest it would happen would be '25 offseason, if we really got the feeling Trae was not going to re-sign and was very disgruntled.  I didn't even mention no one is giving him the keys to be "the guy" if he leaves Atlanta.  That isn't going to happen -- teams see his personality issues on the court, his lack of leadership, etc.  Trae is an elite offensive talent but he's also a very flawed player for a team to pay a massive haul for him, especially at 35% of the cap.

10 hours ago, AHF said:

How in the world do you think we would compete next year in this tank commander scenario where the team is expressly not trying to add another big talent?  Maybe there is a disconnect here but aim hearing the team will take $.70 on the dollar to shed payroll and wants to do more dump trades with other starters.  I hope this is not the case but I can’t even conceive of what a deal like Grimes + Knicks 24 first + Knicks lottery protected 26 could do for us that ends up with us competing in the near term.

The team said it's trying to get 2 picks and a quality player.  If we actually get a quality player that fits better than DJ, that's a big plus.  We would presumably try to use those picks in the offseason as well to land more upgrades.  Add to that you have more time for everyone to get used to Quin's systems and an offseason to reset, and I can see us competing for a 3-6 seed next year.  Teams rarely progress in a linear fashion, as we recently experienced in our playoff run.  Even if we don't flip the picks for upgrades, just retooling this roster will go a long way.  At the beginning of the season, before injuries started and before DJ apparently became disgruntled, we had a .500 record with one of the best net ratings in the league.  The wheels started coming off, but I think it's ultra doomsday to act like we won't or can't be competitive next year under this scenario.  DJ is a good player but he's wasted on this team and has anti-synergy with Trae.

• Like 2

From The Athletic Bounce newsletter:

Russell gets reflective post-win

As I mentioned above, the trade rumor business is at its busiest right now. And let me tell you: business is booming! Don’t believe me? Let’s head over to the social media machines, where detectives are searching for everything as potential evidence of a coming trade. 

We present D’Angelo Russell of the Los Angeles Lakers. He should be in a great mood Sunday evening. In last night’s 134-110 home win by the Lakers over the Blazers, he led his team with 34 points, eight assists and zero turnovers — arguably his best game all season. He even had this fun play in transition for a bucket.

Russell should be ecstatic, right? Potentially wrong! A Lakers fan Twitter account started putting some things together from the game: 

Here’s a side-by-side shot of Russell and Rui Hachimura not seeming very happy after the win.

Is it possible DLo has been traded away from the Lakers for the second time in his career? Or he’s about to? His contract has been heavily mentioned in trade possibilities for the Lakers. And we’ve heard about plenty of rumors, including them possibly dealing for Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine or someone else. As noted, the trade deadline is Feb. 8.

Edited by mountainjim
  • Like 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

Quin didn't come here to do a rebuild and he likely negotiated having a substantial say in player personnel.  So, if the Hawks take a step back this season to get a better asset (likely), they most definitely will be using it to get an established player.

That is my basic assumption about why he came to Atlanta, and I really hope you are right.

• Like 4

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, mountainjim said:

From The Athletic Bounce newsletter:

Russell gets reflective post-win

As I mentioned above, the trade rumor business is at its busiest right now. And let me tell you: business is booming! Don’t believe me? Let’s head over to the social media machines, where detectives are searching for everything as potential evidence of a coming trade. 

We present D’Angelo Russell of the Los Angeles Lakers. He should be in a great mood Sunday evening. In last night’s 134-110 home win by the Lakers over the Blazers, he led his team with 34 points, eight assists and zero turnovers — arguably his best game all season. He even had this fun play in transition for a bucket.

Russell should be ecstatic, right? Potentially wrong! A Lakers fan Twitter account started putting some things together from the game: 

Here’s a side-by-side shot of Russell and Rui Hachimura not seeming very happy after the win.

Is it possible DLo has been traded away from the Lakers for the second time in his career? Or he’s about to? His contract has been heavily mentioned in trade possibilities for the Lakers. And we’ve heard about plenty of rumors, including them possibly dealing for Dejounte Murray, Zach LaVine or someone else. As noted, the trade deadline is Feb. 8.

Contrast that with Trae who was thrilled when DJ hit the big game winner with him unavailable to play.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

they most definitely will be using it to get an established player.

I don’t understand why vets on our board are saying otherwise. Stop 🛑 it we aren’t rebuilding.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JeffS17 said:

The team said it's trying to get 2 picks and a quality player.  If we actually get a quality player that fits better than DJ, that's a big plus.  We would presumably try to use those picks in the offseason as well to land more upgrades.  Add to that you have more time for everyone to get used to Quin's systems and an offseason to reset, and I can see us competing for a 3-6 seed next year. 

This sounds great and I'm ok if this is the plan to reset for next season....buuuuuut, based on Soth quote below:

Idea has shifted from getting a second star player either now or in the offseason to this goal. 

....this is problematic.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This sounds grade and I'm ok if this is the plan to reset for next season....buuuuuut, based on Soth quote below:

....this is problematic.

Agreed.  But I suspect we'll be opportunistic if a superstar comes available.  The problem right now is few teams are selling (really just us with DJ), but a lot can change after the post season.  I'll stay optimistic until I see some trades take place that really cement our future.

13 hours ago, Sothron said:

Update:

Team is looking for two firsts and either a quality young player, a player on a team friendly deal ie cheap or expiring contract(s) for DJM.

Team is trying hard to attach Capela and/or Hunter to  DJ in a trade. Team is trying to shed salary (heard this one before?) and recoup draft assets for what they gave up to get Murray.

Idea has shifted from getting a second star player either now or in the offseason to this goal. If no deal is there that satisfices above wants at the deadline expect it to happen in the offseason when teams are more flexible in trade offers. 

End "insider" non neutral commentary and just the facts approach to what I was told by sources.

Soth's thoughts: if this happens this is the precursor to the inevitable Trae trade demand and eventual Trae sweepstakes trade. When a team switches from trying to put a second star next to its 25 year old superstar to get cheap/pick up firsts that is how a rebuild starts. 

I don't like being the bringer of bad news but trading DJ for that kind of return makes the rebuild a necessity. Trae is not sticking around in his prime years on a team that isn't serious about being a contender.

I don’t quite understand the difference in what Soth is saying here vs. what has been said over the past few weeks or months. 

Maybe it’s just the part of them shifting from trying to get a second star player. But for a while now it has sounded like they’ve always been trying to trade DJM for a couple of picks and a young player (see NYK/Grimes chatter). 

But I haven’t heard anything about attempting to acquire a second star from a straight up DJM trade. It always seemed to me if they trade him by the TDL, it would be for assets that they’d “potentially” use to go toward something bigger in the offseason. 

Ressler shedding salary to keep payroll down certainly isn’t news. That’s been his MO from day one. What would be news is if he actually pays the tax. 

I guess what I’m saying is, despite the gloom this news brings, it doesn’t seem to be anything different than what we’ve already been dealing with. I.E. it’s crappy, but it’s crap we’ve already been living with so no real need for surprise when you wake up this morning and realize we’re sitting in pig slop. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JTB said:

Blank is going to kill the falcons fan base solely by hiring Belicheck!

I hope he doesn’t do it but hiring belicheck is like hiring Saban in Auburn….something that should not and would not ever happen.

How embarrassing Atlanta Falcons and Hawks are so bad! Can’t catch a damn break. 

not to get on a falcons topic but I will say this last piece and not post anything else about the falcons….it really pissed me off the last press conference where blank and McKay was talking about some statistic shows falcons have top 5 attendance!…seriously! I go to those games I don’t believe the fans show up at all. The rumor is fans are walking around the stadium and not in their seats like the Georgia dome but I call bs on it. Falcons been trash since 28-3…we been  cursed and doomed ever since.

meanwhile the guy who really took us to the SB and lost it for us is back in nfc championship again with the 49ers. Blank & McKay was too stupid to realize who was the true brains behind that great run.

😡

I feel a little different about the Falcons and Belichick than you.  Arthur Smith has done nothing but hire coordinators that every single one has been a failure.  I like Harbaugh better, but I'll take Belichick who has been there and done it for many years.  It may not work out but at least it's a step up from hiring media hyped assistants that are not head coach material.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is my basic assumption about why he came to Atlanta, and I really hope you are right.

If Ressler and Quin have anything to say about it (they do), that pick and other assets will be traded for a veteran this offseason.  We may not agree with how they do things, but we do know those two want to win now and have to next year.  Even if Trae were to ask out, they're not gonna rebuild.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AHF said:

It doesn't stop it from being an incredibly stupid plan.  A team in our position that doesn't own it picks for the next 3 years and has some good young talent is not well positioned to do a tear down rebuild.  We are much better positioned to try to do a Minnesota or something where we hang in mediocrity and change the pieces and look for a big add to make.  

I'm not saying that you guys aren't hearing this from someone.  I'm saying that our FO is going to make a lot of Hawks fans furious if they pursue this plan and that the odds of us being back in the playoffs in the next 4 years are very low if a tear down and tank path is the way they go.

I have a similar reaction to the idea that the FO is actually slow playing a path to a full rebuild by selling fans first on a soft rebuild.  Something doesn't make sense.  I'm not convinced that they are giving up on building around Trae and JJ with plans to bring in real players next offseason.  

Although I do think that if you follow the Nets approach to a full rebuild we could do something similar.  You can do it while not owning most of your picks.  They traded their stars to get picks and young players.  Instead of traditional tanking with a goal to have the worst record to get a higher pick.  You use your roster to feature players that you then sell to the highest bidder, moves like trying to get two picks for DFS.  You create a surplus of picks to make yourself ready for when the time is right to swap picks for a player.  

My main point is still that it's hard to believe we want to move Trae within a year or two.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, JeffS17 said:

Agreed.  But I suspect we'll be opportunistic if a superstar comes available.  The problem right now is few teams are selling (really just us with DJ), but a lot can change after the post season.  I'll stay optimistic until I see some trades take place that really cement our future.

I just think we are a mess.  We have never really been on Star level free agents, nobody at that level wants to play in Atlanta, it's a terrible franchise and has been since Ted Turner sold out.  The draft, hell we have blown it every time it's ridiculous.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

If Ressler and Quin have anything to say about it (they do), that pick and other assets will be traded for a veteran this offseason.  We may not agree with how they do things, but we do know those two want to win now and have to next year.  Even if Trae were to ask out, they're not gonna rebuild.

I don't know.  Ressler has never been in win now mode in my opinion.  There's not evidence of that.  

And i believed that would be Quin's idea but now i'm starting to think he's more interested in making this a long term home because he likes Landry and Kyle.  I think he's probably thinking about making this his team like Pop, Spo, and less concerned with salvaging Trae's career in Atlanta than I previously thought.