• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking to trade

Vol4ever

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Insiders got any info on AJ?  I can't under stand why no reporter or anyone has figured out what's going on there.  We can get DJ's texts but can't find out why our best 2nd year player can't get on the court. 

There’s a difference between scrolling twitter for your info vs knowing anyone in the hawks org lol

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Wretch said:

To be clear...  I'm not in the habit of giving guys a pass arbitrarily.  We need players, not bodies.  That said, AJ is like any young prospect to me that shows potential.  He hasn't been injured (that we know of) and before this offseason he seemed like a very humble and stable individual.  So, for me, he's just as promising as he was in year 1.  I'm not saying he will develop into an All-NBA caliber player, but rookies take time to develop and I'm willing to give him a bit longer than 1 1/2 seasons (with the half season being plagued with personal trouble).

If we can package him for a major upgrade or a player with as much potential as he showed in year one...I'm all for moving him.  I don't see the benefit in pawning a promising rookie (from only a season ago) for a serviceable asset that barely moves the needle for us (if at all) while we struggle to secure a play in seed.

I'm not arguing that he will return to form.  Only that he's worth holding onto and figuring out what has gone wrong vs allowing someone else to get him for cheap and do the same.

I 100% agree with this. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't know what is going on with AJ. All I was told throughout this past year was last season something happened between AJ and Quin in private. That put AJ in Quin's doghouse. AJ lost his a close family member over the summer and took it very hard. I have asked more than once what is going on and all I have been told is it is a non basketball, private matter and they won't share any more details.

I respect that but at this point frankly the beat writers covering the Hawks need to push for a better answer than this. We've completely wasted his second season after a very good rookie season.

AJ probably asked Quin to stop playing devil music at practice (joking but only kind of)

I have no information but I would bet it's related to his religious fanaticism.  Anyone publicly shaming and demonizing concert-goers has gone beyond personal faith and into radicalized territory.  Can't be good for the locker room and probably has created some conflict.  Or he has mental health issues?  Or those are the same thing?  Not a psychiatrist but just my low-confidence, best guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The obvious answer is that they intend to trade AJ, and didn't want to risk injury to him with extended minutes.

There were no restrictions on when AJ could be traded, so I don't buy the injury risk.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't know what is going on with AJ. All I was told throughout this past year was last season something happened between AJ and Quin in private. That put AJ in Quin's doghouse. AJ lost his a close family member over the summer and took it very hard. I have asked more than once what is going on and all I have been told is it is a non basketball, private matter and they won't share any more details.

I respect that but at this point frankly the beat writers covering the Hawks need to push for a better answer than this. We've completely wasted his second season after a very good rookie season.

it's not that complicated.  AJ was recently rated as the 86th greatest player in Duke history.  Right below him is Quin at 87.  Quin ain't having that.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, kg01 said:

This just illustrates the problem with silence.  None of us should be left to speculate about his mental health.  In this day and age, a general statement is more than enough and helps the kid as well.  Just say he needs a break due to mental health reasons and everyone basically leaves it alone.  Letting him twist in the wind and vaguely saying he's 'avaliable' puts all the pressure 100% on him.  Not cool. 

Yeah, I think if it was just mental health related we'd probably have heard something, even just a subtle nod towards it.  That's why I think it's a bigger can of worms they don't want to unleash.  I'm fine not knowing as I trust Quin and our FO decision making around stuff like that.  We're not in a position to make any kind of assessment around anything but what we see on the court.

54 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There were no restrictions on when AJ could be traded, so I don't buy the injury risk.

Well why is he just languishing on the bench, and not in College Park to even get a little run?

This kid played 1401 minutes last year in 72 games.   This year, he's only played 132 minutes in 18 games.

He didn't even get any run when Hunter was hurt and hasn't played more than 10 minutes in a game since Thanksgiving weekend.

In his last 9 games from Thanksgiving until now, he's shot 3 - 25 FG . . 1 - 16 3FG . . . and has scored a grand total of 7 points. Even in scrub minutes, that's almost impossible to do.

You would think a few games in College Park would at least get him engaged, and maybe back on track to be a fringe rotation player.  But if something has happened between him and Quin, why is he still on the team?  Just trade him away for a 2nd rd pick, if they feel that he can't be salvaged.

If it's Quin's system of shying away from midrange jumpers that is his nemesis, that means he doesn't fit, and they should cut ties with him.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Wretch said:

These are some strong points dude and just makes me scratch my head.  We just can't catch a break as Hawks fans man...  Our franchise player can't make an ASG, even after being a fan vote leader.  Our rookies can't stay healthy or get PT because.......reasons.  We can never have front office stability - not without some kind of strange drama.  Go ahead and sprinkle in a little trade request...that isn't really a trade request...for a player that has everything the league wants...but also seems to have no real value beyond token 1st round picks.

Sorry ya'll.  I'm just venting...lol

Join the vent club. Don't stop.  Ain't no rosey azz picture needed. We are fans.  We are craving success.  That said...I'm trying to stay off the ledge too!

IMG_2357.gif

• Like 4

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Wretch said:

These are some strong points dude and just makes me scratch my head.  We just can't catch a break as Hawks fans man...  Our franchise player can't make an ASG, even after being a fan vote leader.  Our rookies can't stay healthy or get PT because.......reasons.  We can never have front office stability - not without some kind of strange drama.  Go ahead and sprinkle in a little trade request...that isn't really a trade request...for a player that has everything the league wants...but also seems to have no real value beyond token 1st round picks.

We caught breaks with Cam AND Heurter.  We're just too emotional in the moment to see it.  We got first round picks back for both of those guys and they barely belong in NBA rotations right now.  Now, that's absolutely a consolation prize as ideally, our picks would be hitting in a way we keep guys on the roster.  JJ seems to be that -- I'm hopeful OO is too.  We'll see on Bufkin.  Maybe I'm just a glass half-full type of person, but I see a lot of other teams struggling a lot more than us right now.  I'm bullish on our future.  Quin has only had ~half a season to put his fingerprints on this team.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wretch said:

This pretty much sums all our feelings up